ACL tear. Surgery vs Brace

Auggie Dog

Mar 5, 2020
Country
Tennessee-U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Auggie
I looked for a similar thread and couldn't find one on ACL tears.Just curious if anyone has dealt with a ACL tear in their bulldog.It happened almost three weeks ago, and he still favors his back right leg.Our vet has done over a dozen ACL surgeries ,but I wanted to ask other owner's opinions.Will a leg brace help/correct the problem without surgery.Or is it only putting a bandaid on it?The leg brace I found was through animal ortho care.They send you a kit and you make the cast yourself and send it off.

Our vet said that due to how bulldog's legs are shaped that a brace would not help.I've found several photos of bulldogs with rear leg braces on.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
No experience with braces and I am skeptical. With a brace I “assume the assumption” is that it's a partial tear. Might work, might not. You would likely have to confine your Bulldog much longer than you would if you just moved forward with the surgery. Be advised, after surgery the patient must be limited, very limited activity-wise. No jumping up or down. No stairs.. No running. No quick changes of direction. Lead walking only and lots of crate rest. Proper healing means following Vet's advice to the letter...especially the first couple of weeks. There are no short cuts with recovery from ACL repair. If your dog isn't crate trained then start training right away. Lots of crate rest required.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have not had any dogs with ACL tear, but watched a few surgeries, and don't see how a brace would heal that. BUT, I am not a vet, and don't play one on TV-only at home...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with Chip... depends on the severity of the tear, minor, may heal with limited activity and brace, but if the tear is significant, surgery is only option

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.