mzeman

Sep 11, 2019
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Dobby
Hello everybody; my name is Melinda. Two years ago I spotted a beautiful bull dog and started to follow its owner on social media. I have a seven year old boxer and a 16 year old Shih Tzu.
I noticed that the dog had just sired a litter of 10 puppies!!! I followed them and kept eyeing one in particular. I finally reached out and asked about him. At first they were asking an amount that I could not quite come up with despite having met with him and seeing that my boxer seemed to enjoy his company. This was a pleasant surprise as she is very particular!
Anyways, earlier this week, the owner of the pups said that the one I had fallen in love with was still available and she was will to give me a significant discount. I said yes!!! but then when I went to get him, he had suddenly had a cherry eye development. He is 3 months old. I took him home but am now wondering what I have gotten myself in for. I have an appointment with the vet this Saturday.
Did I get swindled? How common is this for a pup? The pups were going for 2500 to 3500. I paid 1500.

Pictures will follow soon.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Don’t worry, it is unpredictable and unfortunately common for many bulldogs to develop cherry eye. It can happen to any bulldog, so you could buy another puppy from the litter for the full price and still he would develop cherry eye.
I want to say that you probably were not dwindled, but for sure, you got yourself into certain medical costs, which always happen to us, lucky owners of bulldogs. When you pay for a bulldog puppy, it’s just a top of an iceberg, main chunk of costs is obviously nutrition and medical costs, lots of medical costs.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Given that you are on the Left Coast, cherry eye surgery can easily cost you what you saved...hence the discount. The longer the gland has been out the less likely it will stay in place if pushed back in.

This is just a guess...the breeder probably decided to push the gland back into place hoping it would stay and that they could eventually sell the pup for full price. After repeatedly popping out the breeder decided to cut losses and sell him as is for a discount letting the cherry eye be the new owner's problem. I do not think that the breeder has swindled you. The pup was offered at a considerable discount with a know medical issue.

The only downside is that you have now taken responsibility for getting the surgery done and if something bad(unforeseen) were to happen during surgery, you could be out quite a sum of $. You have assumed all risk.

Have a reputable Vet that is familiar with Bulldogs do the surgery. I wish you lots of luck with your upcoming adventure. Please post pics of Dobby...we'd love to see him.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello everybody; my name is Melinda. Two years ago I spotted a beautiful bull dog and started to follow its owner on social media. I have a seven year old boxer and a 16 year old Shih Tzu.
I noticed that the dog had just sired a litter of 10 puppies!!! I followed them and kept eyeing one in particular. I finally reached out and asked about him. At first they were asking an amount that I could not quite come up with despite having met with him and seeing that my boxer seemed to enjoy his company. This was a pleasant surprise as she is very particular!
Anyways, earlier this week, the owner of the pups said that the one I had fallen in love with was still available and she was will to give me a significant discount. I said yes!!! but then when I went to get him, he had suddenly had a cherry eye development. He is 3 months old. I took him home but am now wondering what I have gotten myself in for. I have an appointment with the vet this Saturday.
Did I get swindled? How common is this for a pup? The pups were going for 2500 to 3500. I paid 1500.

Pictures will follow soon.

WELCOME!!

Cherry eye is common like mentioned. Try pushing it back in n keep the puppy calm. I find when they get excited it pops back out. If you’re going to have it neutered, wait n have it done at the same time. My brindle had it done and it’s only a tuck with one stitch. You will find on YouTube videos on how you can push it back in.

OP
mzeman

mzeman

Sep 11, 2019
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Dobby
Thank you everyone! IMG_4499 (1).jpg

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor says hi to Dobby! Welcome to the forum!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Dobby is a pretty boy. I don't see cherry eye...............?

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
He sure is cute!!
Welcome and congratulations!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.