lbrewer04766

May 21, 2019
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Hello everyone,

My name is Londe and I rescued a English Bulldog 2 years ago, his name is Otis. Otis is very adorable, handsome, and funny but, can also be a bit of a challenge. I am sure many of you can relate. I love him to pieces but, he has a lot of allergies, and behavioral issues. I know that is common in rescue dogs but, he seems to have more than at times I can handle. I am starting by taking him off IAMs for Bulldogs and cooking for him and giving vitamin supplements. One protein at a time starting with turkey and veggies. We will see how that goes.

The second major issue that I have with "O" is that he was neutered late and likes to mark. First marking was just outside but recently, he is urinating on things in the house. I can't afford a trainer (which is what I need), he is also very aggressive with other animals and gets way too exciting around small children.

I want to leave this on a positive note, Otis is a wonderful dog he just has some issues (don't we all). Otis was rescued when I first got married but, the marriage did not last. He is really my ex husband's dog and he (my ex) just left him. I am doing my best to keep Otis from going back to a shelter. Otis and I were always much closer than he ever was with my husband. To make things worse, I don't know much about dogs in general. I had a dog that I rescued in her senior years and was just with me for 4 years because, she got cancer. I know Bulldogs are a tough breed, high maintenance but, I am a fast learner and very devoted to helping Otis. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hi there Otis, says Castor! Welcome to the forum!
I don't know about IAMs but great that you are making changes to his diet if he's got allergies. Allergies don't always depend on the food, though - some dogs are allergic to grass or something else in the environment. Has he got runny eyes or skin problems? When Castor has had skin issues we bathe him in chlorehexidine shampoo and that often helps. The chlorehexidine is antibacterial so will clean the skin thoroughly. It works well on paws, for instance, but I wouldn't use it in his face. We have chlorehexidine wipes (Douxo) for Castor's noserope.

Regarding Otis' marking: I cannot offer any advice on indoor marking, but if it has started recently, can it have to do with the changes you've gone through? Is he trying to mark his territory? I am sure others can offer advice on this! Marking outdoors sounds like a natural dog thing, though. I know there are various opinions on how much a dog should be allowed to decide where to pee but we let Castor (who isn't neutured) sniff and pee his way round town (he knows that doorsteps, churches, and statues are off limit!). He will pee on lamp posts, trees, etc. where other dogs have peed, and that is fine here. That's what dogs do.

I hope you will get lots of advice here from experienced bulldog trainers!

OP
L

lbrewer04766

May 21, 2019
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Hello there Castor,

Thank you for the advice. Otis unfortunately has both food and environmental allergies. I have an anti bacterial shampoo for dogs that I am going to faithfully start using. No changes recently at home. I believe it may be a female dog that is in heat. I am going to start cooking his meals and doing a food trials as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello there Castor,

Thank you for the advice. Otis unfortunately has both food and environmental allergies. I have an anti bacterial shampoo for dogs that I am going to faithfully start using. No changes recently at home. I believe it may be a female dog that is in heat. I am going to start cooking his meals and doing a food trials as well.

Hi there... do you have a similar thread posted on this topic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

lbrewer04766

May 21, 2019
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Yes, and I received some great advice!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts