BryanS

Mar 26, 2019
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None Yet
I am a soon to be first time bully owner!

I thought I wanted a puppy but then I thought it might be better to get an older dog -- better for me and for the dog.

So I am working with rescues of course.

But I came across a situation where a breeder of French and English bulldogs is going to get out of the business of breeding English bullies and so has some boys whose services are no longer needed and she thought it made sense that they get a chance to get their very own home and be the center of attention.

The guys are still fairly young -- 2 to 3 years old -- and have papers and AKC registration.

The breeder has a good reputation. They guys look good and I am told have a good temperament (obviously I would meet them first).

It's not quite as noble as giving a rescue a home but by me at least getting a rescue is pretty difficult. And so I thought that this would be a nice way to do a nice thing.

Am I overlooking something?

OP
B

BryanS

Mar 26, 2019
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None Yet
Thanks for the reply!

So, is it mean to neuter one of these guys? I do think that that is important for pet owners to do. But given their age and their job until now I am wondering if it is in their best interest.

And it seems that these guys have lived mostly outside -- with inside privileges -- but they probably are not fully housetrained. Is housetraining an older guy possible?

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thanks for the reply!

So, is it mean to neuter one of these guys? I do think that that is important for pet owners to do. But given their age and their job until now I am wondering if it is in their best interest.

And it seems that these guys have lived mostly outside -- with inside privileges -- but they probably are not fully housetrained. Is housetraining an older guy possible?

Hi! Welcome to you! Sure itā€™s noble! Youā€™re opening this guy up to a new life, regardless....thatā€™s what I think anyway. So bravo!

I donā€™t have experience with males, Joey is a female and fixed when she was old enough. There are several members here that will chime in as to health issues etc, if any, so hang tight. I donā€™t think itā€™s mean, but should be in the benefit of the dog, I think. So.....letā€™s see what the experienced male owners say.

Again, welcome!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the reply!

You are doing a great thing... neuter will be a personal choice, I would and age would not be an issue.

House training is still an option, treat like a puppyā€” stay consistent and create a good schedule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for the reply!

Welcome! You should ask the breeder her vet she sees for her dogs. Iā€™m sure she has a bully vet n will eliminate headaches for you searching for a good vet. 2-3yrs old most breeders affiliated with clubs usually states on the contract the dog to be fixed. Also other questions you can ask the breeder ā€œifā€ the dog you select has issues aside from neutering. Like that your dog can be sedated only once n do all at the same time. Write down your questions since sheā€™s going to be closing up. Also like mentioned no difference training an older dog than a puppy. I find personally older dogs learns faster.

:)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We had Monty neutered when he was 4. He didn't have a 'job' (that made me laugh!) beforehand but when we got him he would mark and after that, no more problems.
I think it is great you are getting an ex-breeder and giving him a normal life.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@BryanS In my opinion(some will disagree) neutering is the best thing if you are going to have a "housepet",and he is not too old. It will eliminate some problems that male dogs may have. Most breeders do semen collecting by artificial means, but the dog may still "mark" his territory. My #5 is a previous breeder bitch, and she was not housetrained, but a "kennel" dog. She had other dogs to set an example, but only took a few days to learn. If you are consistant in taking him out,and having a schedule,taking him to the same spot, in the beginning, it should not take too long for him to get the idea. You may need to crate him if you are leaving the house, until he learns the routine. I think it is a great idea to give him a "real" home and his own family to love!:yes:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I am a soon to be first time bully owner!

I thought I wanted a puppy but then I thought it might be better to get an older dog -- better for me and for the dog.

So I am working with rescues of course.

But I came across a situation where a breeder of French and English bulldogs is going to get out of the business of breeding English bullies and so has some boys whose services are no longer needed and she thought it made sense that they get a chance to get their very own home and be the center of attention.

The guys are still fairly young -- 2 to 3 years old -- and have papers and AKC registration.

The breeder has a good reputation. They guys look good and I am told have a good temperament (obviously I would meet them first).

It's not quite as noble as giving a rescue a home but by me at least getting a rescue is pretty difficult. And so I thought that this would be a nice way to do a nice thing.

Am I overlooking something?

Great that you will give this 'working dog' [now, that sounds a little awkward here!] a permanent home! Regarding neutering... I don't know. I would see how he behaves first, but then I'm not used to dogs being neutered per default. What is important is of course that you do what is best for him and for his new life. Good luck and please post pictures when you have got your boy!

OP
B

BryanS

Mar 26, 2019
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None Yet
Thanks, everybody!

I just confirmed the little guy I have my eye on was born in July 2017 -- so he's not even two.

Does it seem reasonable for me to ask the current owner if I could talk to her vet and/or see the dog's medical records? And to see his "papers?" (Not that I will really know what they mean as I am not a breeder and am indeed just a first-time prospective bully owner.)

I was totally prepared for a rescue where you don't often know much. This guy seems to be a good fit, but of course I will be paying more because of his "status" and I suppose I would at least like to know what I might be getting myself into.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks, everybody!

I just confirmed the little guy I have my eye on was born in July 2017 -- so he's not even two.

Does it seem reasonable for me to ask the current owner if I could talk to her vet and/or see the dog's medical records? And to see his "papers?" (Not that I will really know what they mean as I am not a breeder and am indeed just a first-time prospective bully owner.)

I was totally prepared for a rescue where you don't often know much. This guy seems to be a good fit, but of course I will be paying more because of his "status" and I suppose I would at least like to know what I might be getting myself into.

You most certainly an ask to see that info and talk with the vet... I would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Thanks, everybody!

This is Definitely the MOST REASONABLE request, as well as RESPONSIBLE request, Great thinking!!

This fills my heart you are opening your home to this young guy!!

The others have you covered, make the best choice for him about his boys, and house training.

Ellie and I can't wait to see pics....

Mmaker

Feb 21, 2016
New Mexico
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
Although we have a female we got her as a retired working girl at about 3 years old. She was easy to house break and we had her spayed. The hardest thing for her to learn was how to play. She would go for a walk but would not interact with any toys. It was almost a year before she would play with a ball or anything else. But now she is silly and plays with her toys and enjoys her pampered life. Welcome to the group and look forward to seeing your story unfold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
Good luck with the new bullyboy. He will keep you laughing everyday. They are silly dogs. I agree that getting him neutered is good for him. It will help with keeping him from becoming aggressive and it is actually healthy for a dog as well. My boy was neutered when he was at the age we could get it done and he's a big teddy bear. It's your choice though. Have fun with him.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.