New to group......Bulldog needs to lose weight. Help

Kvarick

Mar 15, 2019
Boynton Beach, fl
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elvis (American Bulldog 14yrs) Grandpaw (Olde English Bulldog 4yrs)
Hi, Grandpaw is almost 4 yrs old, heā€™s an Old English Bulldog, when we first adopted him he had 1445AB0D-6918-4D1D-9FD8-68797D490383.jpegsome medical issues. First, his nostrils were too small and he had to get them surgically opened, second one testicle dropped, he needed surgery to remove the one that didnā€™t , third he has hip dysphasia. When we got him neutered he gained weight. We also have a 14 yr old American Bulldog (Elvis) whoā€™s underweight. We walk them twice (if not more) a day. They are very active. But Grandpaw is allergic to chicken (he gets the growths between his toes) I have found all diet foods have some sort of chicken in it. Ugh! Iā€™ve started him on Vegas Stew and 1/2 cup dry kibble. Any other ideas?? He needs to lose about 10 lbs. Thanks for listening!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! The easiest way to get them to lean down IMO is to replace about 1/4 cup of his kibble w/frozen veggies. I usually add organic green beans... it will keep him satisfied while getting his weight down.

OP
K

Kvarick

Mar 15, 2019
Boynton Beach, fl
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you!! Iā€™ll try it!! :)

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Welcome to the group sweet boy! Can't wait to see more pictures of you.
Don't worry you will trim down in no time.. especially since you get the best bulldog advise here on this site.

Welcome to this wonderful community :welcome:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi, Grandpaw is almost 4 yrs old, heā€™s an Old English Bulldog, when we first adopted him he had View attachment 115883some medical issues. First, his nostrils were too small and he had to get them surgically opened, second one testicle dropped, he needed surgery to remove the one that didnā€™t , third he has hip dysphasia. When we got him neutered he gained weight. We also have a 14 yr old American Bulldog (Elvis) whoā€™s underweight. We walk them twice (if not more) a day. They are very active. But Grandpaw is allergic to chicken (he gets the growths between his toes) I have found all diet foods have some sort of chicken in it. Ugh! Iā€™ve started him on Vegas Stew and 1/2 cup dry kibble. Any other ideas?? He needs to lose about 10 lbs. Thanks for listening!!

What kibble do you currently feed? How much each meal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kvarick

Mar 15, 2019
Boynton Beach, fl
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rachel Ray nutrish. Husband bought the wrong stuff. Just trying to get through the bag. Currently 1 cup 2x a day. With the Vegas Stew.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Rachel Ray nutrish. Husband bought the wrong stuff. Just trying to get through the bag. Currently 1 cup 2x a day. With the Vegas Stew.

Do 3/4 cup with stew... that should help will take one- two months to lose the 10 pounds

OP
K

Kvarick

Mar 15, 2019
Boynton Beach, fl
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much for the help. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much for the help. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes!!

Yes, please keep us posted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Nutrish isnā€™t that great. Too many grains. I see youā€™re along the beach, try getting a dog vest n have him swim as exercise. Swimming is a fantastic for dogs. Unless he already knows to swim. :)

OP
K

Kvarick

Mar 15, 2019
Boynton Beach, fl
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™m currently looking for a dog vest. Grandpaw loves the water, but sinks. Any recommendations on dog vests? Buying online is so iffy because of his size.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Try Zignature. It has NO chicken at all. Monty was overweight so I cut him down to 3/4 cup with frozen green beans as a topper, twice a day. He lost 5 lbs. He fluctuates between 65 - 67 lbs but he is a big boy anyway.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™m currently looking for a dog vest. Grandpaw loves the water, but sinks. Any recommendations on dog vests? Buying online is so iffy because of his size.

Many here have them .. do a search in the search bar there are a few threads about the swimming vests

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

IMO, EB are hard to fit. Best is to bring Grandpaw to try some on. Just make sure the vest keeps his head up. Usually most comes with a chin rest which will help.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online