TheCarGuy

Jul 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Hello everyone this is my 7week english female Harley. My first puppy ever and excited to learn more about this breed then I have lol I swear my internet search engine has english bulldog info everything and have gone to the pet store probably 15 times buying things we would need. She will definitely be living a amazing life. She stole our hearts and definitely would love the knowledge and expertise that I can learn from all of you EB owners!!!

Btw I'm house training to an inside dog and kennel training her. Yes she pooping and peeing in her crate which is driving me nuts(I know shes only 7weeks) lol any tips?

One thing I'm really considering in insurance? Any info or experiences with that. Theres so many to choose and not sure the right coverage.? Help!

Attachments

• 27459.jpeg
    27459.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20180722_191045_875.jpg
    IMG_20180722_191045_875.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 27458.jpeg
    27458.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 20180718_190231.jpg
    20180718_190231.jpg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 199

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Omg she is PRECIOUS!!! Welcome to you both! Joey is my first bully, she's 3 now, this wonderful place and the great people here helped us survive. Ask what ever you need help with and someone will show up :)

As for crate training/house breaking I am of the thought that the best way to prevent bad habits is to stop them immediately. So this means CONSTANT supervision and correction when you catch her going in the house, immediately outside, BIG PRAISE when she goes outside. At this age always pick her up and carry her to the same spot to potty. ALSO when you come home from being gone do not make a big fuss getting her out of the crate, just quietly get her out and immediately outside even if she has already gone in the crate. Keep it low key until she goes potty outside, then act like a nut with praise. She is really really young, give it time and be consistent, it will come.

Insurance.....I got insurance for Joey very young, Nationwide pet insurance policy, thankfully I have not had to use it but I'm comfortable knowing it's there.

I hope to see you post often, Harley is adorable and I LOVE watching them grow up :)

Sue and Joey

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN... your new baby is adorable!!! If you click on our home tab (top left of the page) we have several forums dedicated to owning a new baby. In MY personal opinion, pet insurance was a waste of time... TOO many conditions considered "pre-existing" so after a VERY expensive episode the hubby & I decided to keep money aside in a savings account for our two bulldogs. BUT to each his own...

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Is totally right on the pre-existing condition point. With Nationwide IF YOU GET THEM CLEARED early enough, like I mean really early, by a vet, they contact the vet and get a certificate (clean bill of health) so Joey is covered (no preexisting conditions), again I am totally happy to have NOT used it. But with any insurance I watch her monthly payments go out the door just for peace of mind. I pay $30 per month, $250 annual deductible, and Joey has no medical exclusions. The Nationwide policy, after 12 months of coverage, will pay $275 toward expenses of non-eligible conditions. Like Tracey [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] says, it's a personal choice. I've considered cancelling Joey's policy, but I just KNOW the minute that I do she will need it LOL

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I had Insurance on my Dachshund (from a puppy) but after the premiums just kept going up and up, we decided to go the dedicated savings account route instead. We add to it monthly. If you do get insurance, do it now before any vet visit for a problem. Don't forget to keep your puppy close to home until after the second round of shots. No pets stores, walks etc. to be safe. We seem to be hearing about Parvo more and more lately.

She is gorgeous!

OP
T

TheCarGuy

Jul 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
thank you!! yes im excited to learn and also test myself with this breed. lol this is my first puppy as an adult so im more attentive then I was when I was younger. I treat her like a actual baby which I have none so this adventure will be fun.
yes the crate training is going ok tonight was the first time I haven't had to put her in the other room to cry and get sleep lol. but the pooping and peeing in the crate is my biggest concern. I understand that in time she will be able to hold it longer. but im afraid she's going to think its ok to do that in her crate. iv had sometimes where she peed in there 3 sec after putting her in the crate. also I have a designated pee pad area but I have a two story and her crate being in my room I also have a pad in my room. is that bad? just easier the running down stairs every time. I check on her through the night when she cries and its normally that there's poop in the crate so I clean it try to have her poop on the pad then put her back in. uhhgg lol long nights I swear.

as far as insurance I think all reviews and things iv read are pointing towards healthy paw because there coverage is pretty much covers everything and illness 90% return and 250 deductible for 112 a month which is pretty high but idk

Kristy

Aug 23, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubb Chubb
Hello! Congrats on your new puppy! For insurance, regardless who you choose, since you have a puppy, it's best to get her covered right away so that you don't have to worry too much about pre-existing conditions. I'd recommend checking out TruPanion. I have a fairly healthy bulldog in the sense that he has no respiratory or breathing issues. His main issue is allergies/itchy paws which is very very common in bulldogs (poor guys is allergic to grass and human dander). TruPanion helps cover 90% of my boy's allergy meds which has been a life saver!!! Also, b/c my dog is so active, and loves to run and jump really high, he somehow got a torn ACL and had to have TPLO surgery which came up to about 6 Grand and they paid 90% of it as well. Chubbs is our first dog, and I personally wouldn't get another dog without getting insurance as it has definitely been beneficial to us.

18701_915264225200540_7413431758473720073_n.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN.... congrats on you beautiful baby... love the coloring.

Potty training... keep in mind, they can only hold it for an hour more than months old, so, you are looking at 2-3 limit before she has to go. Set that alarm clock :)

We opted for a credit card strictly for the pups instead of insurance.

Marte

Jul 26, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barre
Hello! I'm a newbie and a new puppy owner. While it is difficult, I do not know much, but there is happiness in the house.

Molliesmom

Jun 29, 2018
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mollie
Welcome! Harley is adorable love the coloring. We opted for a credit card instead of insurance like others have said to many exclusions.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Harley's colors are spectacular.
Using the divider that came with the crate(if there was one) to minimize the space in the kennel. No dog likes to sleep where they potty. Be diligent with carrying the little guy out to do his business. Pee pads may serve to reinforce undesirable habits...not a fan.

acksindelar

Jun 19, 2018
Nebraska
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Debbie
Cute baby! I have a 15 week old and we got her when she was 7 weeks. Also had issues with that peeing and pooping in the crate. Make sure she just has enough room to turn around. Not the whole crate. She is a baby baby yet so she will get there. Debbie sure has come a long way since her arrival with the potty training!

OP
T

TheCarGuy

Jul 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Update. Lol so shes gotten a lot better with peeing and poo in the crate but still does it on the those nights I work late and she cant hold it in which I dont blame her. Iv comes in the house and one on her so I see it happen haha. Just drives me nuts when sne does it on the carpet. I started taking her outside finally a week ago after her 2nd shots which I love. She from time to time will stand next to the door to let her out but again still peers looking right at me! :aaargh: anywho I'm loving this little baby and cant wait to take her on walk after her last shots.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.