Cricket shiffner

Jul 10, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Selene
Thank you all for the welcome . I just purchased my first old English bulldog Selene (so excited) ! The breeder I purchased her from has me kinda freaked out over a few things ... I was told she can only eat mush for the first year ... Only toy she can have is a empty plastic bottle ... Absolutely no crate training by any means ... Never outside if it's above 72 etc . Now I'm not new to puppies but new to the breed . Just looking for a few guidelines as she is getting frustrated with only one type of toy etc .thank you all in advance for any help you can offer ... Ps she is only 9 weeks and we are working hard on house breaking rite now

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you all for the welcome . I just purchased my first old English bulldog Selene (so excited) ! The breeder I purchased her from has me kinda freaked out over a few things ... I was told she can only eat mush for the first year ... Only toy she can have is a empty plastic bottle ... Absolutely no crate training by any means ... Never outside if it's above 72 etc . Now I'm not new to puppies but new to the breed . Just looking for a few guidelines as she is getting frustrated with only one type of toy etc .thank you all in advance for any help you can offer ... Ps she is only 9 weeks and we are working hard on house breaking rite now

WELCOME!!! Only right thing your breeder said was for the temperature. NO mushy food as she needs to use her teeth to chew or youā€™re going to become her chew toy, the furniture or anything she can exercise her teeth into. I always gave my dogs real raw frozen marrow bones. Have the butcher cut it for her size like 3ā€ long. Great for teeth n very healthy. If itā€™s kibbles youā€™re feeding use the puppy size as 9weeks is small. For toys antlers are great or Kongā€™s toys for her size. Nothing that has like a whistle on so she doesnā€™t swallow it. Ropes I personally donā€™t like as strings are known if swallowed to get tangled inside their little bellies n the rest. NO rawhide!!! Oh n we love photos!!!!

OP
Cricket shiffner

Cricket shiffner

Jul 10, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Selene
Thank you for the response . I kinda figured she was just being an over protective puppy mom and I can understand that :) the rawhide and rope I do know as well as stuffing . I think I may start transitioning her to dry kibble to ease me being a chew toy lol :) again thank you so much

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the response . I kinda figured she was just being an over protective puppy mom and I can understand that :) the rawhide and rope I do know as well as stuffing . I think I may start transitioning her to dry kibble to ease me being a chew toy lol :) again thank you so much

What is she eating right now?

OP
Cricket shiffner

Cricket shiffner

Jul 10, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Selene
Rite now she is eating 4 cups of puppy chow a day ...1 cup with 1 cup of water microwaved .

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I agree with Helene. She's got you covered on everything.

OP
Cricket shiffner

Cricket shiffner

Jul 10, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Selene
My take home instructions were a bit extreme :) thank you both for the quick and educated responses .

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Rite now she is eating 4 cups of puppy chow a day ...1 cup with 1 cup of water microwaved .

Thereā€™s another issue your breeder did, is feeding puppy chow. Your baby is eating just grains. Start the transition with ONE protein so you can eliminate if any, allergies. Get yourself a high quality kibble that holds one protein like Acana or Fromm. Keep a journal if you want. Also I advise you to subscribe to https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/acana-singles-dog-food/. The closer you are to 5stars the better.

OP
Cricket shiffner

Cricket shiffner

Jul 10, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Selene
Alot of owners seem to like Fromm very much thank you for all the great advice ...I have a starting point on raising this sweet girl correctly :)

OP
Cricket shiffner

Cricket shiffner

Jul 10, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Selene
I'm sorry for all the questions ...but how should I go about switching from mush puppy chow ?? Gradually add a bit of dry kibble ...staying to one protein as you said ?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry for all the questions ...but how should I go about switching from mush puppy chow ?? Gradually add a bit of dry kibble ...staying to one protein as you said ?

Best food for any dog is raw and frozen or honest kitchen which is also raw but dehydrated and yes will be mushy. This is where you need to give fiber and add frozen green beans, strawberries or any berries. They need to chew. Now if you go with kibbles you can start with straight kibbles or half half. I personally would go straight kibbles. Yes by doing one protein at a time is best. The only thing is puppy kibble donā€™t have one protein. I know I said do one protein but it just hit (sorry)me sheā€™s only 9weeks. Go with puppy kibble n around 6 months or so, do the one protein stage.

OP
Cricket shiffner

Cricket shiffner

Jul 10, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Selene
Ok got it ... So much great info ! Thank you for taking the time to educate a new bully owner :) I feel much better knowing all this . Oh and your dogs are beautiful ! :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok got it ... So much great info ! Thank you for taking the time to educate a new bully owner :) I feel much better knowing all this . Oh and your dogs are beautiful ! :)

Youā€™re most welcome. Other members will also give you some great ideas n advise. Iā€™m sure some will weigh in.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome!! Helene has you covered, for sure!!

Fromm is a great kibble if you go the kibble route.... otherwise if up for it, raw is the best then The Honest Kitchen .

Crate training is the best way to train, they love their dens and safe place

Good luck... ask as many questions as you need to and keep us posted.

Pictures!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.