Hello Everyone I'm new to this forum and I'm very happy to be here

Bullseye

May 19, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley and Jessie
My name is Mark and I'm from Santa Rosa California. Me and my 18 month old Bulldog Bentley live on a ranch. We're both happy here. Bentley started coughing
right away when I first got him home and when I took him to the Vet for his first checkup I was told he had an elongated soft Pallet which causes an obstruction to his breathing capacity.
Its been getting worse. Now its an ongoing thing. Everyday he coughs foamy saliva so I've got to do something. I need some advice please. Would somebody with knowledge on this issue please tell me if they know of any other type of treatment that exists or is my Vet correctly diagnosing him. I was told he would need surgery to clip some of the skin so he can breathe better. Are there any options that are available? Thank You for reading this.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hello and welcome! There is no way someone can help you to diagnose your baby’s problem just from description you gave. But elongated palate is not a difficult diagnosis, so, most probably, your vet is right. Doctor can see it just from looking deep into dogs throat. If you still have concerns, look for bulldog- experienced vet. I’m sure some members from Cali can recommend you.
Treatment is only surgical, unfortunately. From what you said (he has foamy saliva) I wouldn’t wait too long with surgery. He has quite a real chance of aspiration (foam going into lungs) which can cause pneumonia, also, in hot weather foamy saliva prevents him from proper cooling and makes him prone to heat stroke.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had the surgery and it was a breeze. There is always the normal fear of the anaesthetic but it really helps with the breathing and is a very common operation in Bulldogs.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Lots here have had that done "for" their Bullies as it makes life so much more comfortable for them. Along with that, some (us) have had the naires enlarged at the same time,,, and well, we also had eye lids done (some entropian) My spelling on thee is wrong but hope someone will corrct that. It's scarry BUT so worth having it done if needed. Im not one for any unnecessary stuff, and we had all three done.. Welcome btw.... Its a great place for info from really experienced bulldog folks.

OP
B

Bullseye

May 19, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley and Jessie
Thank You for your input. I am faced with such a dilemma because of the cost of the surgery. I guess I should've anticipated that something like this could've happened but one never knows the cards they're to be dealt with.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome!

The gang gave great information.... this, unfortunately, is very common in brachiocephalic breeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.