chelly6

May 15, 2018
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Angus is a 5 mo old English Bulldog. Very rambunctious, sweet boy! He recently had a hernia correction in March and is developing what looks to be hot spots. Dr says might be a reaction to all the meds he was on and doesn't want to put him on any medications at the moment. I am also wondering if it might be due to a food allergy, although I guess if he was allergic to his dog food, he would've shown signs sooner. Please share what type of dog food you feed your bully and any remedies for hot spots. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_E0906.JPG
    IMG_E0906.JPG
    424.6 KB · Views: 179

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Angus is a 5 mo old English Bulldog. Very rambunctious, sweet boy! He recently had a hernia correction in March and is developing what looks to be hot spots. Dr says might be a reaction to all the meds he was on and doesn't want to put him on any medications at the moment. I am also wondering if it might be due to a food allergy, although I guess if he was allergic to his dog food, he would've shown signs sooner. Please share what type of dog food you feed your bully and any remedies for hot spots. Thank you!

Hello n WELCOME! Check out this link n it will help you out. This is a great website to keep on hand.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/ultimate-guide-hot-spots-on-dogs/

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Acana Duck and Pear
Hot spots should be shaved and kept dry. They are areas that itch and are scratched to the point of bleeding. They need to scab over in order to heal properly/more quickly. A healing hot spot will look terrible...worry not. It can take a month or more to completely heal.
Are you sure they are hot spots? Pics would be helpful.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Welcome and I like your vets thinking. Meds on top of meds are sometimes the worst thing you can do.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome!! Hotspots tend to be from
Allergies and as stated need to be shaved down to allow the area to stay dry and clean

What food, brand and protein do you feed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

chelly6

May 15, 2018
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
hi oscar mayer. Look his left paw. Do you think itā€™s a hot spot? 774185C7-9F62-4884-9627-FE9EE55EB9C1.jpeg

OP
C

chelly6

May 15, 2018
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Hi 2BullyMama. We feed Angus Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Chicken Recipe Grain Free. I wonder if heā€™s allergic to chicken?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Not a hot spot. Hot spots are usually areas that can be scratched or less often, areas that a dog will back up against something and rub(butt area). It's probably some sort of dermatitis(staph or yeast)...or the beginning of a lick granuloma.
I would not be too alarmed with just a small spot or 2. Sometimes they heal on their own and sometimes they need to be treated by your Vet. Figuring out the cause and addressing that would be best.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hi oscar mayer. Look his left paw. Do you think itā€™s a hot spot? View attachment 112574

Hi 2BullyMama. We feed Angus Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Chicken Recipe Grain Free. I wonder if heā€™s allergic to chicken?

Totally can be allergy to the chicken or even environmental.... does he have any other spots than on his leg? I'm wondering if it could be manage... has the vet scraped the area and tested for mites?

OP
C

chelly6

May 15, 2018
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Totally can be allergy to the chicken or even environmental.... does he have any other spots than on his leg? I'm wondering if it could be manage... has the vet scraped the area and tested for mites?

Heā€™s got bald spots in a couple areas. His neck (which heā€™s been scratching and had scabbed) and also spot on his back. Will get checked for mites.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Heā€™s got bald spots in a couple areas. His neck (which heā€™s been scratching and had scabbed) and also spot on his back. Will get checked for mites.

Sounding more like manage... get the scrape to rule it out.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.