CincyBullyOwner

Mar 20, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate
Hey everyone! My family and I are new English Bulldog owners in Cincinnati, OH. We got her (Tate...Her name was Tater from the original human but we shortened it to Tate) from a not-so-great situation. I'm not sure she was physically abused or anything. But I do know she wasn't being fed a decent diet and she stayed locked up quite a bit. So now, naturally, we are dealing with a few behavioral issues. She seems to be extremely close to me. I'm thinking it's because I'm the one that came and got her out of the situation she was in. She is great with my kids other than she likes to jump and then they get knocked over. However, she's not as great with my wife. Tate will take off under our bed at times. If my wife attempts to get her out, she snaps at her. She has also snapped at my wife when she has tried to get her off of the couch. So she seems to have a problem with women, or maybe just my wife in general for some reason. She does tend to bark when she hears noises. She's a dog and that's what they do. So that doesn't really bother me much. But we definitely have to work on her jumping and her issue with my wife. I will definitely be searching the forum quite a bit for info but if you feel inclined to shoot me some advice here, it would be much appreciated! So sorry for the novel! Thanks for having me!

tate.jpg

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Welcome to you and Princess Tate.

she's a pretty girl, even if she is a little on the thin side
I'm sure given, time and buckets of love, and attention she'll turn out to be one of the best pets you'll ever have.

things will start looking up from here.

OP
C

CincyBullyOwner

Mar 20, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate
Welcome to you and Princess Tate.

she's a pretty girl, even if she is a little on the thin side
I'm sure given, time and buckets of love, and attention she'll turn out to be one of the best pets you'll ever have.

things will start looking up from here.

Yeah the vet did say she was about a couple pounds underweight. We're working on that for sure!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
well she sure is a pretty one and welcome... your "novel" was very interesting and informative so no problem there ;) Im sure it must be disheartening to your wife to have this attitude towards her and may take some time but with correct work (not sure how to guide that ) all will mesh in just fine. Enjoy the site, lots of real good experience here t0 help you. And actually, just thought of something,,,,, does she seem to "fear bite" /snap ? Cause thats a whole different 'handeling' process i'd think, other than just a dominate thing. anyway, i'll let the experts help ya out, just wanted to welcome you and your pretty girl.

OP
C

CincyBullyOwner

Mar 20, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate
I think the snap at my wife is more of a "get away or i'll bite" thing. She could have easily bitten my wife each time I think but she has yet to make contact. So it seems to be a warning out of being uncomfortable with her or fear. I'm not really sure.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
WELCOME HERE AND THANK YOU FOR GIVING TATE A LOVING HOME.
DO YOU KNOW HER AGE AND IF SHE'S HAD PUPS, IS SHE SPAYED? THESE
FACTS COULD HAVE SOME BEARING ON HER BEHAVIOR, MOST LIKELY THO IT'S
A RESULT OF NEGLECT & NO DIRECTION. TATE IS A PRETTY GIRL AND UNCERTAIN
IN STRANGE SURROUNDINGS WITH STRANGE PEOPLE, SHE WILL SETTLE IN SOON.
BE PATIENT, KIND & LOVING WITH HER, NO RAISED VOICES OR HIGH EXCITEMENT.
MAKE YOUR EXPECTATIONS CLEAR & BE FIRM BUT LOW KEY. IT MIGHT HELP TO
PROVIDE A CRATE FOR HER SAFE PLACE TO GO WHEN SHE FEELS THREATENED OR
OVERWHELMED (LEAVE DOOR OPEN & TEACH KIDS TO LEAVE HER ALONE).

BULLDOGS ARE VERY SMART, EXCEPTIONALLY LOVING & LOYAL & WONDERFUL
FAMILY MEMBERS. MY 1ST BULLY WAS A REHOME & VERY NEGLECTED WITH SIMILAR
BEHAVIOR AS TATE, NOT HOUSE TRAINED EITHER. BRUTUS TURNED INTO SUCH A
GREAT BULLY IN NO TIME, JUST NEEDED ATTENTION, TIME & LOVE.

GIVE TATE A GENTLE HUG FROM TEXAS...GOOD LUCK!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
i 'think' that these big bad bulldogs of ours are natural "scardie cats" and it's possible that felt that was her only defense, and being newly settling in, she is just trying to find her place,,,,, while protecting herself. It doesnt sound like a dominant thing to me but i know still needs corrected, but mor of a time and patience thing to win her over??? There are some good 'fosters' here that have lots of experience with 'incomming'/then outgoing ;) dogs of different backgrounds that i hope will step in and help ya out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome and thank you for saving sweet Tate.

She dies need about two months to settle in but during this time be sure both if you are walking her (together or different times) and feeding her.

Use ' nothing in life is free' to help establish alpha. Very east technique and will help Tate accept all if you.

Bulldogs are velcro dogs and usually have one person they cling to mire than another in the home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hey everyone! My family and I are new English Bulldog owners in Cincinnati, OH. We got her (Tate...Her name was Tater from the original human but we shortened it to Tate) from a not-so-great situation. I'm not sure she was physically abused or anything. But I do know she wasn't being fed a decent diet and she stayed locked up quite a bit. So now, naturally, we are dealing with a few behavioral issues. She seems to be extremely close to me. I'm thinking it's because I'm the one that came and got her out of the situation she was in. She is great with my kids other than she likes to jump and then they get knocked over. However, she's not as great with my wife. Tate will take off under our bed at times. If my wife attempts to get her out, she snaps at her. She has also snapped at my wife when she has tried to get her off of the couch. So she seems to have a problem with women, or maybe just my wife in general for some reason. She does tend to bark when she hears noises. She's a dog and that's what they do. So that doesn't really bother me much. But we definitely have to work on her jumping and her issue with my wife. I will definitely be searching the forum quite a bit for info but if you feel inclined to shoot me some advice here, it would be much appreciated! So sorry for the novel! Thanks for having me!

View attachment 111519

Oh hello Tate...and Randy! Welcome to the family and GOD BLESS YOU for getting her out of such an awful life! I wish that I had guidance for you but I have no experience with those situations. BUT some very knowledgeable members have already chimed in and more will be by with help. I am glad to know that her diet is better and hopefully her weight comes up!

Again welcome to you, Tate, and your family!!

OP
C

CincyBullyOwner

Mar 20, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate
Thank you everyone! Tate is roughly 5 years old. That's what her previous human stated. They told me she was fixed. However, she has no tattoo marking. I took her to the vet. There is a scar there but the vet stated it looks more like a c-section scar than a spay scar. Although she also said they could have spayed her after they did the c-section. So I do believe she has had pups. She has definitely tested us already but I'm definitely determined to show her she's in a good home now. Although I learned on here that food with chicken isn't good since most EB's are allergic. That would explain a lot with her. So I've changed her food now. Hoping to see some good results from that.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Keep us posted... ask away we are here to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you everyone! Tate is roughly 5 years old. That's what her previous human stated. They told me she was fixed. However, she has no tattoo marking. I took her to the vet. There is a scar there but the vet stated it looks more like a c-section scar than a spay scar. Although she also said they could have spayed her after they did the c-section. So I do believe she has had pups. She has definitely tested us already but I'm definitely determined to show her she's in a good home now. Although I learned on here that food with chicken isn't good since most EB's are allergic. That would explain a lot with her. So I've changed her food now. Hoping to see some good results from that.

A PERFECT AGE TO GET HER, MY CAMI WAS 5 WHEN SHE CAME TO ME :)
HER BEHAVIOR SEEMS TO BE PROTECTIVE VS AGGRESSIVE, WHEN SHE
TRUSTS AND FEELS SAFE THEN SHOWS HER TRUE SELF, IT IS SO AWESOME
AND WORTH EVERY MINUTE OF DIFFICULTY! BULLDOGS CRAVE ORDER AND
CLEAR BOUNDARIES (LIKE CHILDREN DO) AND HATE CHANGE OF ANY KIND.
HAVE YOUR WIFE TAKE HER ON SHORT WALKS, FEED HER AND GIVE A TREAT
(A BIT OF KIBBLE) WHEN SHE RESPONDS POSITIVELY. USE STAINLESS STEEL
BOWLS, HARNESSES INSTEAD OF COLLARS, NO RAWHIDE!!!, READ UP ON THE
DANGER OF OVERHEATING IN BULLDOGS AND AGAIN, JUST ENJOY GETTING TO
KNOW HER AND VICE VERSA. KEEP US UPDATED & WE LOVE PICS!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Welcome to EBN. Our Bentley had similar issues but has grown out of most of them but not all. Patience, love, and no loud noises.

Sounds like maybe the abuse was from a woman...hence the issues with the wife.

Members online

No members online now.