Lora the white english bulldog feels great being here!

Vulky

Feb 16, 2018
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Bulldog(s) Names
Lora
Hello, my name is Theodore and my life changed almost 2 months ago when Lora came into my life! Born 25 of August 2017 , she is mainly white with some brown spots on her ear and belly.
Weighted at 22 weeks she was 14kgs and keep growing fast! She loves to have her tongue protruding out, something very cute and funny! :D

IMG_1979.JPG

Prior to her i never had any dog experience so i keep learning everyday! Lora is very calm and a bit on the scared-easily side but i help her get used to all kinds of sounds and situations.
I feed her Royal Canin 1cup x3 times daily. Sometimes i add a hard-boiled egg at her food and a bit of kefir. I also recently started giving her one tablet "Lintbell's yumove" for her joints, after the suggestion of the breeder i got her from. I started training her with a clicker and using roasted chicken-breast bits as positive reinforcement.
She loves to sleep and snort really really loud and curl on my feet when i'm on my desk and gets very crazy and plays with other dogs when out. 2-3 times a week i take her for a long walk out of the city, by a small river, around 40mins walking. Maybe this is too long for her, so i make a few breaks on the way , but she seems to be fine and enjoys running and playing there, far from the city sounds. Of course when the weather starts getting too warm here in Hellas (u may have heard my country as "Greece") i will stop that.
She gets very dirty playing but i try not to give her proper-full baths too often, not sooner than a month. Is this right? I just clean her folds almost daily and her body and paws regularly with baby wipes. I also don't know if i should cut her nails,considering she is out often playing.I also put often vaseline in her nose as it gets very very dry.
I have been reading lots of threads on this forum which were very helpful. Unfortunately the vets in my small city have absolutely no idea about bulldogs or other brachycephalic breeds! This puts me in a difficult situation considering what should i do about her sterilization and when and where.

Here some pictures of Lora (its hard to choose which ones, as i love taking pictures of her!:D) and i would love to hear how she looks to you!

https://mega.nz/#F!E1ZVnLAL!gAvouEhE2YNunGCUmq9LnQ

A big thank you to all sharing their knowledge and experiences, really helping a lot!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
She's adorable! We don't have a lot of love for Royal Canin dog food here- we prefer Fromm Heartland Grain Free puppy or Orijen puppy. Sounds like you are doing all the right things for her. Does she have a tail pocket you have to keep clean? To keep her teeth clean I'd recommend getting her a hard rubber regulation lacrosse ball to chew on. She'll destroy any other rubber balls with those jaws. I also like to put in some kelp with my dog food to help keep the teeth clean https://www.amazon.com/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Powder-Pound/dp/B003AYEHIE . You may want to give her some organic virgin coconut oil and fish oil too.

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
She is beautiful! I am a relatively new owner as well so I don't have very much advice other than welcome from myself and Tayto.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Welcome to you and Lora, she is so very beautiful!!! I can tell that you love her very much!! You will find much friendship and knowledge here for sure!!!!

Sue and Joey

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Beautiful White Bullygirl. Welcome to the party!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=18056]Vulky[/MENTION]. You have a beautiful girl. Congrats! You’re doing everything perfectly. Just the food you need to change. Not sure what brands they sell in your country. But like mentioned orijen, acana, Fromm or just go raw. In my opinion, if you feed her grain free or even better frozen raw, you will see less of a vet. 40 mins walk Is great at that age. Mine walk 5km everyday unless it’s too cold or too hot. Bully vets are great but you still can find very knowledgeable vets that knows flat nose breeds. By the way, bulldogs are not swimmers. Maintenance is the key..Good job on doing so! Welcome to the site!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have been reading lots of threads on this forum which were very helpful. Unfortunately the vets in my small city have absolutely no idea about bulldogs or other brachycephalic breeds! This puts me in a difficult situation considering what should i do about her sterilization and when and where.

:welcome3: [MENTION=18056]Vulky[/MENTION] Happy that you found this site! As for having your beautiful girl Lora sterilized (spayed) it is very important that her Dr.(Veterinarian) know about Bulldogs, and anesthesia . You will be better to find a Bullie knowledgeable vet, even if you had to travel, for your baby's safety,possibly her life.
Love the pictures of her playing with her friends!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Dakota Bully

Sep 23, 2016
North Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Diesel, Alise, Pia & Piglet Wiggle Britches
Welcome!!! Lora is such a cutie! It's amazing how wonderful Bulldogs make our lives. I am so glad that you get to experience it. I am a little floored that you went from absolutely no dog experience to owning and English bulldog. It is a breed that requires a bit more knowledge, care, health requirements and money, but it is the best breed ever!!! So congratulations on your new baby!! I can tell you really love her and are doing everything to care for her the best way a bulldog can be taken care of. If you have the ability to change the food, as Helsonwheels and Dollys Owner said, please do. I have 2 bulldogs that can exercise like crazy and hardly ever get tired and never get winded. One of mine is kind of a "middle of the road" on exercising depending on her mood that day, and my male is very content to take about 4-5 five minute walks a day, then go back to sleep. They all are different. Lora will let you know if she doesn't want to exercise any more. Like you said, really watch the heat and don't take her out very long in it. It is perfect that you keep getting her used to different sights and sounds. Keep that up as often as possible. Socializing them to new things is really important between 8 weeks to 16 weeks, but can still be done later in life. Hopefully she will come out of the little scared bits as she gets older and you keep socializing her. Good job on putting Vaseline on her nose. You can do it daily. Be careful of the ingredients in the baby wipes as some are very drying or irritating to their skin and bullies can have skin problems. I use baby washcloths and warm water because they are cheap but washable and small enough to fit in the folds but still grab the dirt. Then I dry it with a cotton ball. You can clip her nails if they are growing too much past the pink quick in them. At least her nails should be the white/clear color. Then you can see the quick. Good job on what you do for Lora. She is very lucky to have you!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Shes beautiful and a lucky girl :) They are the craziest characters and i love them so much. Im so glad you found your way here and hope you continue to enjoy :) Great friends and lots of fun bulldogs to read about :) WELCOME :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

what a beautiful girl!!!! Love her ears

OP
Vulky

Vulky

Feb 16, 2018
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Bulldog(s) Names
Lora
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I understand that a bulldog needs special care and it seems strange or even irresponsible for someone to have as a first dog experience a bulldog but i am very dedicated to take the best of care of my girl. I am happy i found this forum as i can read and learn a lot, i already had!

Unfortunately i can't find the brands that you proposed me here in my city, i'll check if i can order online, if possible. I was reassured that royal canin is good food and was feeding Lora that for the last 2 months, but now i am worried in case its not right for her.

She is a bit lazy and unresponsive when we prepare to go out for a walk, but once out and especially when in the nature far from the city, she enjoys to play a lot!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Do you have access to Amazon? They have something called Amazon Global which I have to admit I know nothing about! Check into it with regards free shipping to you in Greece. I did do a search of dog food (in the search bar I put 'Amazon global free shipping dog food') and it did bring up quite a few brands, most of which are awful. Two that stood out were Canidae Grain Free Pure (Dry) and I and Love and You Naked Essentials (Dry). On Dogfoodadvisor.com which is a very good site to check dog foods, the Canidae was 4.5 stars and the second food was 5 stars. If you want to continue to feed Kibble, always check with Dogfoodadvisor.com or there is a British site which lists UK foods if they are available to you (All About Dog Food.co.uk). A lot of breeders over here feed Royal Canin and why I do not know, as others have said, it is not a good food! Good luck and keep asking questions!

Pole Position

Feb 21, 2018
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Enzo
Do you have access to Amazon? They have something called Amazon Global which I have to admit I know nothing about! Check into it with regards free shipping to you in Greece. I did do a search of dog food (in the search bar I put 'Amazon global free shipping dog food') and it did bring up quite a few brands, most of which are awful. Two that stood out were Canidae Grain Free Pure (Dry) and I and Love and You Naked Essentials (Dry). On Dogfoodadvisor.com which is a very good site to check dog foods, the Canidae was 4.5 stars and the second food was 5 stars. If you want to continue to feed Kibble, always check with Dogfoodadvisor.com or there is a British site which lists UK foods if they are available to you (All About Dog Food.co.uk). A lot of breeders over here feed Royal Canin and why I do not know, as others have said, it is not a good food! Good luck and keep asking questions!

I still have another few weeks wait before my dog starts his new life with us. Hes also white and this post made me think about his cheeky little face :) I was planning on joining when he arrived, but had to chip in on this. I had decided to go with Platinum foods after being told by everyone outside this forum to use Royal Canin, our breeder had some platinum that I got to break apart and have a good smell. I stopped short of tasting it but I was tempted! I didnt know of the food site above, thats going to prove invaluable Im sure. I was pleased to see the Platinum had 4.6 out of 5. I think that is where I will start with a little Natural Yoghurt maybe.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.