Hello!

Mr Dandelion

Mar 28, 2011
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Hey, I'm new here and while I don't currently own a bulldog, I do love them on a ridiculous scale. I'm planning on getting one when I have the time/money, but I have a few questions and concerns about them. I don't know if it's proper to put them in this thread but here's the gist of it.

1) Medical problems/expenses/frequency
2) My girlfriend owns a weim who's kind of standoffish with other dogs(loves people though), I know bulldogs can be kind of dominant as well, or so I've witnessed, but I gotta make sure they're compatible, don't want any bad accidents happening!

Well, thanks in advance!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome to the site and kuddos to you for investigating the breed before you buy! :up: What I have found and most will say is the expense you spend buying your pup a lot of time helps to determine how much you will spend medically. Of course every pup may have their own issues but getting from a GOOD reputable breeder and spending a little more will pay off in the end almost every time. I personally have been lucky and havent had any crazy medical issues with my boy and he is 5. They do have insurance also that you can buy when you do get your pup and a lot of people HIGHLY recommend getting one right away. Bulldogs are stubborn but get along well with other dogs in general. If you were to get a pup I am sure it would get along with your girlfriends dog if your girlfriends dog would get along with it. If you are looking to find a good breeder look up the bca listing of breeders, they are usually more expensive but well bred bullies. Here is a great article on puppy buying tips
English Bulldog News Forums ~ - English Bulldog Puppy Buying Tips

OP
Mr Dandelion

Mr Dandelion

Mar 28, 2011
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. Yeah, the weim(he's a rescue, with bad separation anxiety) is over protective of his people, he seems alright around my beagle though, but she's a really mellow dog in general. Just wanted to clarify on whether or not a bully would try and take over given their stubborn disposition. On the subject of paying a little more, I totally agree with you. I've been saving for a little over a year, and researching many, and I do mean many breeders so that I'll have enough to be able to purchase/support a budding baby bully from a good breeder.

Oh! and from I've researched and found so far, the best breeder I've found is Iroc, in Canada. Seen good things about them, but not sure if it's planted info or what, I don't really trust what reviews on the net say.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome and glad you are doing your research! You will have better chances of unity within the pack if you get your dog as a puppy, but it is not guaranteed if you do not make sure they know YOU are their pack leader. Training is key to a healthy environment. :up: I personally suck at this but I try my best!

Ordering a bulldog over the net is NOT recommended. Yes you are correct that reviews can be planted. It is always the best option to find a local breeder that you can meet their dogs, and view their living conditions, and make sure you are getting a healthy and well socialized pup! This will reduce your odds of paying a huge course in vet bills in the future. As it is said, the cheapest part of owning a bulldog is purchasing one. Also make sure you put them on a good dog food right away-- nothing purchased at the local grocery store will be good for your bulldog.

If you go to our home page you can read articles related to dog food, nutrition, and advice and education. Good luck and we hope we hear from you soon so you can share pictures and stories with us!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree do NOT buy online. There should be good breeders in your area. I highly recommend choosing a breeder off the bulldog club of americas list. Those breeders are into showing and a higher quality of standards than your normal breeder. Granted you probably dont want a "show quality" pup but if you get one the health is more likely to be much better. Getting that quality does NOT mean you have to show by any means, I certainly had no interest in showing. I just wanted a good pup and thankfully got one. :)

OP
Mr Dandelion

Mr Dandelion

Mar 28, 2011
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Oh, no, I never had any intention of purchasing off the web, I was merely researching the breeder, and had plans of flying up to Canada to see if they were a legit business in the next few months. The only problem is that there seems to be very few breeders within driving distance of where I'm situated, most of them being in the northern part of Florida and I'm way down in the southern end.

I will check out that breeders list, though, thanks for that!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Please keep us posted, looking forward to hearing all about your new addition! :up:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes I do hope you stay here and keep asking questions so we can be a part of your new arrival when it comes also. ;)

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Yay!! A well-educated bulldog owner!! I recommend rescues... lots of cute ones (sometimes puppies too) needing a loving home!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
good for you doing your homework too. I think the others pretty much summed up what I would say! Duke is 3 and he has had surgery on his eyes and also has allergies but other than that has no breathing problems etc.. we got pet insurance which was a big help with the bills. I am sooooooooooo biased though because i just love love love every single English bulldog out there! :luv: to me they are just one of a kind and their gentleness just gets me !Good Luck to you!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Welcome ... and I think everybody has covered it all!!! Kudos to you for doing your homework now ... and do look into the BCA website for breeders mroe local than going to Canada!! :crazy: I'm sure you'll find a good breeder much nearer than that!!! Just keep visiting this website and searching through the forums - you will soon have a good idea of the more common health problems that bullies can suffer from. You'll also soon discover that finding a good food is the key!!

Hope to see you around here often!!!!! :up:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Welcome to the site. You are wise in researching your wanted breed, you will be a great Bully Parent.
There are great rescues in Southern Florida, one very very close to you. Check out our rescue and adoption page, you may find what you are looking for. Again researching a breeder is very important.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
BCA Breeder Referral Service

I attached the link to the BCA...there are SEVERAL breeders from Florida. A word to the wise...anyone can put about anything they want on a website. And make it look authentic. I had a friend who purchased a pup from a person claiming to be affiliated with BCA and later learned wasn't...she ended up with a very sick puppy...from DAY ONE almost. And the pup had several surgeries and such. And finally is a healthy pup. But it was extremely expensive...so remember follow up with the BCA to ensure your getting a good breeder. Parts of Florida is far closer than CANADA...Do you mind sharing the link? Send it to me in a personal message...

The biggest thing that will show you if the breeder is hiding medical conditions within their line...ask for their vet's phone number. If they had an issue with you discussing medical history with their vet...RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THAT PARTICULAR BREEDER!!!

I do commend you for doing your research...I personally had better luck when I asked the breeder how old their oldest bulldog was. If they have a retired breeding dog on their property...verses selling it. [Though you can't keep them all] I find them a little more compassionate. For example...Sarge's Dam her mother was on the property...and she was 11 yrs. old...his Sire...has lines that one was 12 and still alive at another breeder's home. [Due to the breeder had used the stud service of a show breeder]

I find that show breeders...typically are more into bettering the breed...And not only are after dogs that are standard...but breeding "healthy" bulldogs as well.

I would recommend...visiting a dog show or two...Possibly getting to speak with a breeder there. Understand that they might not be "overly talkative" due to their mind is on the show and keeping with when their ring time is happening. But...it will allow you to rub elbows with more reputable breeders...and it never hurts to get in contact with the particular breeder. Seeing your doing your research prior to purchasing a pup will go along way for you in their eyes I would think too. If you could get into contact with a breeder...send an occasional email. So they know they are serious...also helps. Also...you may find some without a website. Due to they have so many feelers out in the show world...that they don't advertise when they have pups. But it's word of mouth...sort of thing.

I agree...I think a pup would be best...in your case with the other dog being standoffish.

And welcome...I believe I posted already in another of your posts...Loved the pictures you've already posted...There as you know...a place for pets that aren't bulldogs. Please...continue to feel free to share photos...of your fur crew.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.