Hello. I'm new here. & my Barkley ate plastic wrap....

Barkleys mom

Jan 1, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Col. Barkley Mustard
My bulldog is Col. Barkley Mustard. Barkley for short. He is 9 and in very good health. He is my sidekick and my favorite boy. This holiday I have been down with a cold and he's been with me 24 7. Happy to learn that there is a group of bulldog folks I can turn to with questions. Barkley is my first bulldog and he has benn an adventure. I have three other dogs... Field dogs. A lab, a pointer, and a cattle dog.

Today Barkley stole a stick of butter wrapped in plastic wrap off the counter and swallowed it whole. Of course it's a national holiday so I won't be able to get him to a vet till morning. Any suggestions for me?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My bulldog is Col. Barkley Mustard. Barkley for short. He is 9 and in very good health. He is my sidekick and my favorite boy. This holiday I have been down with a cold and he's been with me 24 7. Happy to learn that there is a group of bulldog folks I can turn to with questions. Barkley is my first bulldog and he has benn an adventure. I have three other dogs... Field dogs. A lab, a pointer, and a cattle dog.

Today Barkley stole a stick of butter wrapped in plastic wrap off the counter and swallowed it whole. Of course it's a national holiday so I won't be able to get him to a vet till morning. Any suggestions for me?

Hi Barkleys Mom. First I'm going to tell you not to worry, but I know you will. My guy Bulldozer has swallowed 4 sweat socks in his 1st year with me, he is almost 6 years old now, and he hasn't swallowed any since. He's always been able to either poop them out or throw them up and he's fine. He always ate my grandsons socks when he left them around, but he's 10 now and more careful where he puts his socks. Since Barkley ate butter it's pretty greasy so should help everything to slide out, although he may get an upset stomach or some diarrhea because the butter may be too rich for him. The plastic wrap is flat, smooth and slippery so there will be no worry of anything being sharp and piercing his insides. He should be able to poop it out easily. Watch his poops for the next few days to see if he passes it. Also just in case, watch for any signs of obstruction ( although I don't think plastic wrap will cause this). Signs of obstruction are vomiting, diarrhea, but he may still get some diarreha from the butter, drooling from the mouth, and being lethargic. If he seems to show any of these signs then take him to the vet, but I think he should be able to pass it okay. I hope Barkley is okay. Sending Hugs, love and Prayers that it slides right outbid him. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
He will be fine brosco ate earplugs off shop floor that were discarded
When he had fluorescent pink in his stool I thought what the hell? Then we figured it out and make sure
They always go in garbage now

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

How is Barkley doing today? Any signs of an upset tummy or diarreha today?
Have you seen any signs of plastic wrap in his poops?

Maybe Barkley is trying to save you from having to buy poop bags, by pooping out poops already wrapped up in plastic.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Happy you found us.... he will be fine, should works its way out without issue

:welcome3: to EBN!!

OP
B

Barkleys mom

Jan 1, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Col. Barkley Mustard
Hello. Thank you for your reply. It was very reassuring. I'm happy to report that despite everything Barkley slept like a champ, didn't drool or show any signs of distress. Then first thing this morning he rolled over and coughed out a bright yellow bit of plastic wrap then trotted out to the kitchen ...... Like it was no big thing. Of course it wasn't for him. Thank you for reaching out to me. I sincerely appreciate that you took such an interest in my post and then took the time to write out your excellent suggestions. Thank you

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hello. Thank you for your reply. It was very reassuring. I'm happy to report that despite everything Barkley slept like a champ, didn't drool or show any signs of distress. Then first thing this morning he rolled over and coughed out a bright yellow bit of plastic wrap then trotted out to the kitchen ...... Like it was no big thing. Of course it wasn't for him. Thank you for reaching out to me. I sincerely appreciate that you took such an interest in my post and then took the time to write out your excellent suggestions. Thank you

You're so welcome. That's why we're all here for the love of our bullies, and to help each other with advice and share our experiences. I think most of us have had the worry at least once with our bullies eating, swallowing, choking, or chewing something that they shouldn't have. Most of the time they will just pass it with no problems by pooping out the object, or throwing it up. I'm glad Barkley was able to throw up the plastic wrap, it was good that it was yellow, made it easier to see than clear wrap. I'm glad he's doing okay and that scare is over. These guys sure know how to scare us and keep us on our toes, they always seem to be into something and they are so quick. So glad everything worked out. Barkley behave yourself, and don't worry mommy anymore. Lol

Most Reactions