Happy to be here, hello everyone

Cupcake17

Sep 25, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cupcake; Bella R.I.P 6/15/17
Hi everyone, so happy to be here & look forward to communicating with y'all.
I recently lost my first bully to cancer after almost nine years.
Cupcake is my new angel & she means everything to me. Unfortunately she has bad allergies & has come down with an ear infection full of yeast, & I can't get her redness on her face & other areas under control. Any help would be greatly appreciated. IMG_0081.JPG

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Her face looks yeasty. An anti fungal is in order. Yeast usually being a secondary infection, have her evaluated for the primary. Also, check her for demodectic mange.
What food is she eating, and treats. Single protein food until you figure out the allergy/allergies. You’ll have to experiment. No wheat, corn, or soy in the diet. And until that yeast is under control, NO SWEET POTATOES, please.
Her issues could be either food or environmental...or both.

She’s a cutie.
I’ll be looking forward to seeing her blossom.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome4: @Cupcake17 Sorry for the loss of Bella. Cupcake is a cutie, and I hope you can get her issues solved. You have received good advice.

- - - Updated - - -

OP
Cupcake17

Cupcake17

Sep 25, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for responding. She has issues w/ grass. The vet gave her a shot of cytopoint, pulled a bunch of yucky yeast gunk from her ear, & she has mometamax drops for that. Wondering if they should have recommended better ideas? I'm feeding her blue buffalo puppy & from what your saying I need to quit that stuff asap. I'm going to pick up some small bags of better food (recommendations via these forums). I tried using wrinkle balm & skin soother from natural dog but it really makes the wetness intensify along w/ redness.
Is witch hazel & desitin a good idea to start using?

OP
Cupcake17

Cupcake17

Sep 25, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
The shampoo the vet sent me home with is chlorhex. I bathe her once/ week. Should I be using this shampoo in other ways other then a total bath?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I think bathing with that is okay. Witch hazel and desitin are not anti-fungals. You need an anti-fungal.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Malapet shampoo has ketoconazole, an antifungal. That is our go to medication for yeast. But since there appears to be yeast around the eyes I'm thinking that an oral anti fungal may be needed. See your Vet again if things don't clear up with the regimen he currently has going. You should see marked improvement within 2 weeks. Well established yeast infection can be a long bumpy road. Keeping the affected areas dry is always good. Witch Hazel will clean and dry but have little effect on yeast...a better home remedy is Apple Cider Vinegar and water mixed 1 to 1 and administered by spray bottle onto the skin. Do not spray into the eyes. Dab around the eyes with a dampened cotton ball. Be very careful not to get in to the eyes.
If your Vet prescribes oral Keto be aware of dangerous side effects that may come about. We almost lost a rescue several years ago because of keto toxicity. We stopped dosing it and he quickly recovered. Adverse reaction is very rare but can happen.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Firstly WELCOME!!!! Like mentioned, ONE PROTEIN per month to eliminate your allergy list and get her off blue buffalo too many recalls. For single protein bags you need the best which would be Acana or Fromm. Also below is one of our members post. Trust me it works!!!! Ive been doing this mix for a year to keep Nyala's tail pocket at bay or it's an amputation. Mix is not just for ears.

From [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]*/SarahIt's been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.His*chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop. Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health. Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears. In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine: 15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated Coconut Oil to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

You can also add 10 drops of Tea Tree to the mix. Keep the links below as its great maintenance for your girl n yourself!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ood-and-nutrition/52825-dog-food-ratings.html

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for responding. She has issues w/ grass. The vet gave her a shot of cytopoint, pulled a bunch of yucky yeast gunk from her ear, & she has mometamax drops for that. Wondering if they should have recommended better ideas? I'm feeding her blue buffalo puppy & from what your saying I need to quit that stuff asap. I'm going to pick up some small bags of better food (recommendations via these forums). I tried using wrinkle balm & skin soother from natural dog but it really makes the wetness intensify along w/ redness.
Is witch hazel & desitin a good idea to start using?

Welcome!! Your Cupcake sounds , like my Lambeau... he is allergic to everything green.. grass, tress, weeds as well as some foods. He is on the cytopoint shots and they are a GOD send.. help a great deal and last about 4- 5 weeks.
As for food,,, yes, as Chip suggested get a better, grain free single protein food for him.

Please keep us posted on you little girl.

:welcome3: to EBN

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online