MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi, we just adopted our first Bulldog Jake! He is 9yrs old. I have a question on what type of harness and or collar you use for your doggies? He came to us with a harness, however he can back right out of it :no: He is a big love bug all 70lbs of him. Second question is does anyone feed their dog wet food? He will not touch dry and the rescue gave us Beneful chopped, which I would like to change. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170918_120422-1.jpg
    20170918_120422-1.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 163

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
We do not use harnesses because on that very reason...bulldogs can often back out of them. Martingale Collars are our first choice. Feed your boy dry grain free kibble (Acana, Fromm, Merrick, etc.) He may turn his nose up at it(many do) but he will eventually get hungry enough that he will eat it. Put it in front of him and give him 15 minutes to eat, then pick it up. Repeat this at next meal time. I've never seen a bulldog starve itself to death. After missing a few meals they always come around. Stainless steel bowls are best.
He appears to have some itching going on, seasonal allergies by the look of his stained feet. Try a duck or salmon formula first. Buy small bags of high quality food to determine what will work best for him.
Congrats and Welcome!
BTW, just guessing, but from the look of those ears you will likely never have a problem with ear infections. He's handsome!

OP
M

MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks for your response. As a rescue we were given little info on his past. We were told he was hand fed chicken thighs and his owner use to spray peroxide on his paws. I read about it possibly being a yeast infection? We will be taking him to the vet soon so then we will know more. Seasonal allergies, why would that make him lick his paws? He just had eye surgery and is on antibiotics for a terrible eye infection.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Seasonal allergies, why would that make him lick his paws?
Paws get itchy, he licks to satisfy the itch(only thing he can do, really), and the saliva causes the staining.
If he has a yeast infection it will smell bad, bready, even like corn chips, and the affected area will be moist and sticky. Please let us know how the Vet visit goes.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Welcome and welcome to the wonderful world of bulldogs! Thanks so much for rescuing that lovely boy. Good advice from [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]. There are some very good foods out there and you can find a list on this site. For his feet, you can give him plain Benedryl (or generic) for his allergies. 1mg per lb so for a 70 lb boy, 70 mgs. It usually comes in 25 mg pills so you could safely give him 3. It will make him a bit sleepy so instead you could give him plain Zyrtec (or generic). Dosage:
Atopic Dermatitis 0.5 mg/lb every 24 hours
Allergic Dermatitis 0.5 mg/lb every 12 hours

This is a great site for advice and has helped me immensely so do not be afraid to ask!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi, we just adopted our first Bulldog Jake! He is 9yrs old. I have a question on what type of harness and or collar you use for your doggies? He came to us with a harness, however he can back right out of it :no: He is a big love bug all 70lbs of him. Second question is does anyone feed their dog wet food? He will not touch dry and the rescue gave us Beneful chopped, which I would like to change. Thanks!

Great looking boy you have there... and 70 lbs... Nice ;) They are such sweet dogs. I'm on my first as well :) Many use the Julius k9 are great but I really like the looks of the Hurtta one mentioned!!! I also use the martingale collar always with a quick release on it ... As far as food. Don't know for sure what you are looking for in food but lots of good ones mentioned, and also for a 'soft food there's Foods like Honest Kitchen, Spots Farms, Easy Raw, Sojos... All ones you have to add water to and rehydrate.. Just some thoughts throwing out there. .. Welcome, and you will be blessed for rescuing that boy :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
WELCOME! [MENTION=17606]MomofJake[/MENTION] Odd.....you so dont spray peroxide on any skin. Probably explains the redness. I presume chicken thighs were raw n thawed. Chicken is not for all dogs either. Like [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] mentioned, Acana, Fromm are great. Because of the redness, I would start with one protein to see what the allergy would be. Keep us posted on the vet's checkup. Also attached are great links for maintenance, proper food n more.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ood-and-nutrition/52825-dog-food-ratings.html

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN! Chip and gang has you covered... get your new baby off the Purina and onto a good high quality kibble.

Thank you for rescuing and please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks for all the responses and the warm welcome. We have a Puggle also who is on a quality dry food which we are trying to convince Jake to eat. I decided to try and trick him today with his food. I put of scoop of dry into his bowl I added a little water to soften it, then I took one spoon of the wet Beneful and added it for the flavor and stirred it up. I let him sniff the Beneful first then he ate it all!!! His vet Apt is Sat to get his stitches removed and to discuss his paws, Ill post an update after. Thanks for the harness info, Ill look them up.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=17606]MomofJake[/MENTION]
Castor likes the Hurtta y-harness too - it's very easy to put on and padded so soft. Jake is a beautiful dog and I hope you get the paws under control soon. I would guess hydrochloride shampoo treatment would help, but your vet will know. Re the food - we always soak kibble (pour boiling water over the food and leave to cool before serving it).

Hurtta America Updated Padded Y-Harness : Cabela's

The Hurtta Y Harness is my new favorite. While Julius K9 is superb, I prefer the Hurtta as it is more lightweight

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
speaking of the Hurtta Y Harness , I was trying to see a "correct sizing' chart and don't see one... I'll look again but, any idea what a 45 lb bulldog would wear.. And he may still reach 50lbs... thanks aww, I 'think' you measure by chest size ? :) well I hope so, I just ordered, ........ and it's not as though he needs a new collar, but............. ;)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and your bully is a beauty.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
speaking of the Hurtta Y Harness , I was trying to see a "correct sizing' chart and don't see one... I'll look again but, any idea what a 45 lb bulldog would wear.. And he may still reach 50lbs... thanks aww, I 'think' you measure by chest size ? :) well I hope so, I just ordered, ........ and it's not as though he needs a new collar, but............. ;)

There is some size info on the Swedish Hurtta page - the relevant bits will be easy to understand as they are in English! Here is a chart (choose the tab 'Storlekstabell' to the right) and here is a video with English text: Hurtta video on how to measure the dog

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
There is some size info on the Swedish Hurtta page - the relevant bits will be easy to understand as they are in English! Here is a chart (choose the tab 'Storlekstabell' to the right) and here is a video with English text: Hurtta video on how to measure the dog

thank you :) Video not playing for me right now ;( I have it ready to try again... though................. my harness comes tomorrow :ohmy: so we shall see...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.