Luvn Miley

Jul 25, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
Hi, Newbie here! ( Be Gentle) ;)
I'm Pam and our new family member is Miley. We adopted Miley 3 weeks ago from a very abusive home. Not only was the male owner abusive but she was attacked repeatedly by the other dogs (A Mastiff and a German Shepherd) in the house since she was a puppy. She is 5 years old now. Needless to say, she is a basket case presently, afraid of her own shadow and tries to fight every dog she comes into contact with. Makes it hard as we have 3 other dogs in the home. Luckily none of them fight back. Home has become pretty stressful since Miley arrived but with the use of gates and crates and schedules as to who can be out at certain times and knowing where all dogs are at at all times we are forging forward and determined to make this work. We are trying to find a behaviorist in our area that will come in and work with Miley, us and the other dogs.
Miley is very aloof with strangers, I can't say that I blame her after the upbringing she's had. So we will need a very patient trainer willing to work with her to gain her trust.
Like I said, we've had Miley 3 weeks as of today. When she came she would cower on the floor any time my husband was present, now three weeks later she is running to him and crawling into his lap giving him kisses and happy butt wiggles. So we are seeing good progress.
About the rest of our fur family, we share our home with a Boston Terrier, a Shih Tzu, an Australian Shepherd, and two cats. (All Rescues)
I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and sharing Miley's milestones with you all.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Welcome! Oh that is just so sad! I'm so glad you rescued her and will give her the life she deserves.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17420]Luvn Miley[/MENTION] :welcome4: to EBN!! Thank you for rescuing that poor little girl! It sounds like you have made great progress already! With her being mistreated all these years, and in 3, running TO your husband sounds like good progress to me! Perhaps you can use some tips from the "cat from hell" man, and put a gate between the 3 dogs, and Miley when you feed. A little at a time, move the dishes closer to the gate when you feed. Perhaps eventually Miley will see that the others are not a threat. Three weeks is pretty quick for her to accept the others, as she has had 5 years of having to defend herself.
Give her time to learn that people are not going to hurt her, and then I would eventually try to introduce the dogs one at a time,so she can see they are not a threat. Three at once is a pack coming at her. She may finally trust your dogs, but not dogs outside of your home. The fact that she already loves your husband is a great beginning. It is going to take alot of love and patience! It sounds like you have both! Others here will welcome you and have advice.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh boy WELCOME :) What a beautiful heartfelt thing you have done for that girl!!!! And how wonderful that things are progressing already and that you have a great pack that though your newbie isn't ready to accept, they seem willing to 'bring her in'. There are a few 'rescuers' here that I'm sure will have some great info for you. I'm so glad you found your way here as bulldogs are so different than any other breed I have lived with and have learned so much being here. again , welcome! and will love to share in your upcoming adventures :)

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Thank you for all your rescues efforts, that's amazing. Can't add too much as Lynns given great advice as usual. What city and state are you located? Perhaps someone knows a good behaviorist in your area.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Welcome! Miley seems to have come to the right place! Looking forward to following her further progress!

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
I agree with what everyone here says ur girl has came a long way in just a few weeks I say keep doing what ur doing and u will be amazed as to where she is in just a few mos she has already came so far just by trusting another human after one had done horrible things to her it may take her a while but she will see her fur FAM is there to help her n love her not to hurt her and thank u for taking her in and giving her the life she deserves I wish everyone was like u and maybe there wouldn't be so many mistreated animals out there

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
Welcome from a fellow newb!

So glad to read that Miley is making progress! Looking forward to seeing future updates! Sounds like she's on the right track with your help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: Thank you for rescuing all your babies!!

You are doing great with Miley... it may take months for her to fully settle in. Keep in mind the energy levels of the others dogs can cause her to react--- high energy can make her more nervous or unsettled do watch levels and you can hopefully stop her before she reacts.

Take them for walks together to help them pack up... not alone, make sure each dog has a human till they can walk together without issues

Best of luck and keep us posted

OP
Luvn Miley

Luvn Miley

Jul 25, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
Thank you for the welcome. It's going to be a slow process for sure. We are trying our hardest to understand things from Miley's perspective. She still has many moments where if we move to fast around her she will cower back from us or quickly shy away. It's diminished some over the past three weeks and we know it may not ever go away, her fear of being hit and kicked that is. We are showing her nothing but kindness. Being firm and showing her the ropes so to speak. We certainly don't expect her to jump right in and be happy go lucky with our other three girls. We will give her all the time she needs, even if that means years and years of work on our part. Miley is home, she is a troubled fur baby but we will never give up on her.

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
I am so glad there r ppl like u out there she has good ppl and love hearing u will never give up on her she will learn that she does not have to cower from u and that she does not have to be afraid of anything the more she trusts u the more u will see old habits ( the cowering and being afraid) will go away she just has to learn that she is no longer on her own that no matter what u will keep her safe and the more she trusts u to keep her safe and the more she sees she no longer has to keep herself safe the better she will get and that applys to ur other fur babies to once she sees u won't let them hurt her nor do they want to the better things will get I wish u the best of luck with her and I hope this helps

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.