Samuel

Jun 30, 2017
Clarkesville, GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chewcacca Bartholomew
Hello from Clarkesville, Georgia. I have had my first English Bulldog for a couple of weeks. I did not mean to end up with another dog, but here's what happened.

At the beginning of the summer, I decided I want to start volunteering at our local shelter. My wife was opposed because we already have one rescue and she did not think I could volunteer without brining home another. Anyhow, before I started, we took a trip to visit my wife's parents. They had recently adopted a Bulldog, named Boz, from the humane society. He is a wonderful dog, and we hit it off beautifully. I said, many times, I could not believe they had found this dog at a shelter.

Because of my new friend, I started researching the breed. While I love the dogs, and their disposition, I did not like their early history, nor the problems that have been bred into them. None-the-less, I also found a Bulldog rescue in Winder, Georgia- about an hour from where I live. The wheels were turning.

Upon our return, I Went to our shelter for my first day of volunteering. Played with a pit mix named Bob, and was feeling proud as I put him up, because I was not even thinking of taking him home. My wife was WRONG!

Before leaving, I decided to walk down the line of kennels to see who else was there. Just two doors down was this beautiful English Bulldog. I asked one of the workers about him and she said, she would check with the manager, but that she did not think he was adoptable. When she came back, she said ,(Managers name) says , if you want him, you can have him. I went to talk to the manager and was told that they were waiting for the right person for this dog. She was excited that I was interested. I was certain the universe was handing me a gift. (I had met Boz, fallen In love with the breed, done the research and here was one at our shelter!)

It took some time for my wife to agree to accept this gift from the universe, but I have adopted Chewie. I am no longer allowed to volunteer at the shelter.

We have been to the vet. Chewie is in excellent health, except for an ear infection we are now treating. He and our other dog, Lucy, have become fast friends. My wife has also become friends with Chewie, and is talking to me again.

So, there's our story. We look forward to participating in the forum.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Welcome and thank you for rescuing Chewie. Jewel and Bentley say hello as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Congratulations and well done. Your wife will love him to bits in no time :D

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Oh my gosh! I'm laughing my head off… It's the perfect 'welcome home chewy' story and i thank you not only for rescuing that boy but sharing your/his/wife's story with us.. how great!! and now you have been blessed with the most wonderful site of other bulldog lovers with Great information, and good kind hearts... welcome to the world ( yes ! They do become your world :-) ) of bulldogs.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
A great story and you will be blessed! welcome! Curious as to why they thought he was unadoptable?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor sats hi and welcome!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
"I am no longer allowed to volunteer at the shelter." now that was funny n short lived! Hahahaha

Good job but now we want photos of puppies!!! Congrats!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Welcome Sam and Chewie
Ahhh The Adventure begins and good on You for helping out Chewie take it from Me you will be repaid many times over there a amazing breed of dog and in My view the most photogenic on the planet .
You have any questions or maybe you can help other just ask or answer , this place is like a huge family truly , love to see some pics of Chewie and your other pup

Nat

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:rofl: That is an absolutely wonderful story! You and Chewie were destined to be together! Welcome to EBN. You'll find a wealth of information here that can help you and your wife with your new family member. Your story reminds me of why I can't volunteer for a shelter too. You've heard of crazy cat ladies? I'd definitely be pushing the limits of the number of dogs our city will allow. :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN... and THANK YOU for rescuing Chewie. I'm sure the family will fall in love w/him in NO time... we are so glad to have you both here.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
BEAUTIFUL story... thank you for volunteering and giving Chewie a fantastic new like!

:welcome3: to EBN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Samuel

Samuel

Jun 30, 2017
Clarkesville, GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chewcacca Bartholomew
She was waiting for the "right person." I think she would have turned him over to a rescue had I not come along.

Most Reactions