megskee

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka Fran aka Mama Beans
Bulldog = toddler! She will test you constantly and keep you laughing her whole life.

As for the bely, issues i would stop all treats and feed kibble only till she is settled . Might even want to go bland diet fir a few days.

What Wellness core are you feeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am considering putting her on a bland diet before i transition to a new food.To get her poopies back to normal. AND i just gave her kibble for her treat last night and she gobbled it up just like the actual treats! Thank you for the tip.

LucyLicious

Jun 26, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy and Billy
Yes, i stopped the antibiotics because i felt like they were messing with her system, and wasn't really sure if they're necessary for a red face. I'd rather try home remedies like wiping her after she eats and switching her bowls before i pump her full of medication. I assumed the vet would suggest these things but they didnt even mention it! She came home from the vet yesterday with more medicine! anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea. Its crazy. My husband took her i probably would of refused them.

Sigh, some vets like some doctors think that they need to prescribe meds to everyone who visits. Can be either a money thing or simply a way of looking like they're trying to help.

My Billy was a very sickly puppy. He puked and had runny poops all the time, he also got rashes of hives so we spent a lot of time trying to find a food that helped. Eventually we gave up a while and he lived on home cooked until he was almost 12 months old when we very gradually transitioned him on to the same food as Lucy. It didn't agree but he only got hives so we switched and switched eventually finding that duck protein base suited him.
I really can't help with food for you as I live in the UK. But try not to stress too much, try feeding boiled chicken rice and veg for a little while until her tummy settles. Give her either a boiled egg to chase or just break some up in her bowl with breakfast, it helps bind poops. Plenty of water too.
Clean the bowls after every meal, stainless steel are best, and keep her chin and lips dry using medicated wipes until the rash goes.

I'm sure someone else will help with food but generally look for grain free xxx

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am considering putting her on a bland diet before i transition to a new food.To get her poopies back to normal. AND i just gave her kibble for her treat last night and she gobbled it up just like the actual treats! Thank you for the tip.

So what were the reasons given for the meds? Or was there no explanation ?

OP
megskee

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
So what were the reasons given for the meds? Or was there no explanation ?

The antibiotic was for her chin acne. She had 2 or three spots with "pusstules" (i probably spelled that wrong) to my understanding it was just to take care of the open acne to keep from any further infection. Fran never seemed to be in pain or uncomfortable. It was more me noticing it than her showing signs of a problem. The nausea and diarrhea meds given yesterday were the vet saying nothing is wrong with her (after we made the appointment to make sure she doesn't have a parasite or something really wrong since she throws up pretty consistently). I really cant believe they didn't mention anything about a possible diet change. I find it really bizarre that the solution was for my dog to rely on pills to calm her digestive tract than to maybe experiment with other feeding options. Luckily i found this site! You guys are great.

OP
megskee

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sigh, some vets like some doctors think that they need to prescribe meds to everyone who visits. Can be either a money thing or simply a way of looking like they're trying to help.

My Billy was a very sickly puppy. He puked and had runny poops all the time, he also got rashes of hives so we spent a lot of time trying to find a food that helped. Eventually we gave up a while and he lived on home cooked until he was almost 12 months old when we very gradually transitioned him on to the same food as Lucy. It didn't agree but he only got hives so we switched and switched eventually finding that duck protein base suited him.
I really can't help with food for you as I live in the UK. But try not to stress too much, try feeding boiled chicken rice and veg for a little while until her tummy settles. Give her either a boiled egg to chase or just break some up in her bowl with breakfast, it helps bind poops. Plenty of water too.
Clean the bowls after every meal, stainless steel are best, and keep her chin and lips dry using medicated wipes until the rash goes.

I'm sure someone else will help with food but generally look for grain free xxx

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

All experience helps and i really appreciate it! Her food is grain free currently, but i'm just realizing she has small treats that are a commercial brand and are a mixture of all kinds of fillers and crap. So those are getting tossed. I'm working on an elimination diet. First going to start with taking away the treats and using kibble as a training reward (so far it works, shes a little fatty :) ) and see if that helps any. Next step will be a bland diet and replacing her water bowl because it is plastic.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The antibiotic was for her chin acne. She had 2 or three spots with "pusstules" (i probably spelled that wrong) to my understanding it was just to take care of the open acne to keep from any further infection. Fran never seemed to be in pain or uncomfortable. It was more me noticing it than her showing signs of a problem. The nausea and diarrhea meds given yesterday were the vet saying nothing is wrong with her (after we made the appointment to make sure she doesn't have a parasite or something really wrong since she throws up pretty consistently). I really cant believe they didn't mention anything about a possible diet change. I find it really bizarre that the solution was for my dog to rely on pills to calm her digestive tract than to maybe experiment with other feeding options. Luckily i found this site! You guys are great.

She is too young for him to jump on the food, but I would do bland diet for a few days and then transition to her kibble over that time... she how she does as you increase kibble.

If she starts to vomit you know the kibble isn't for her....

OP
megskee

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
She is too young for him to jump on the food, but I would do bland diet for a few days and then transition to her kibble over that time... she how she does as you increase kibble.

If she starts to vomit you know the kibble isn't for her....

Do you recommend chicken or beef? I've seen a lot of posts where people are talking about their bully being allergic to chicken.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I always use turkey or beef...

OP
megskee

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I always use turkey or beef...

She is 3 months and 20lbs.. what do you recommend serving size wise?
Thank you for your help. It means a lot and i'm sure Franny will appreciate it too! :cool:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Welcome to you and Fran...she is a cutie!

For the chin acne, I would start with getting rid of the plastic bowl and switch to stainless steel. The plastic can be what's causing it. And try to wipe her face after she eats or drinks.

You can also try a slow feed bowl or elevated bowls which may help with the vomiting.

Agree with the bland diet for a few days to get her belly back on track and then transition back to kibble. You can also add in a probiotic and a little bit of pure pumpkin (not the pie filling).

I just dealt with diarrhea in my 4 month old and I tried to wait it out but after a few days it was getting worse so then I took him to the vet to rule out parasites and he was put on Metrozindale (I know I'm spelling that wrong) which he took for a week. Stool was getting a little better so vet said give another week. Medication can really mess with your body be it a human or dog so I decided to stop it after the week and he is all back to normal now, he just had a little stomach bug.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
isnt this place just the best!!!! The experience these people have with bulldogs is priceless!! Love your little Fran :) so cute!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yes, i stopped the antibiotics because i felt like they were messing with her system, and wasn't really sure if they're necessary for a red face. I'd rather try home remedies like wiping her after she eats and switching her bowls before i pump her full of medication. I assumed the vet would suggest these things but they didnt even mention it! She came home from the vet yesterday with more medicine! anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea. Its crazy. My husband took her i probably would of refused them.

More meds? Ouch. Dont need them for acne and diarrhea. If Fran is playing, eating, drinking a happy normal puppy your answer is the food! Start over like you mentioned with bland diet get her back on track and then add kibbles slowly. Stay away from Wellness especially RC. BTW, I personally would change vets! For a vet to give you unnecessary meds says it all for Fran's future if needed. She needs to build her own immune system. Unless it's an emergency, ok. Not sure where you live but someone in here will guide you to a proper vet in your area.

OP
megskee

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
More meds? Ouch. Dont need them for acne and diarrhea. If Fran is playing, eating, drinking a happy normal puppy your answer is the food! Start over like you mentioned with bland diet get her back on track and then add kibbles slowly. Stay away from Wellness especially RC. BTW, I personally would change vets! For a vet to give you unnecessary meds says it all for Fran's future if needed. She needs to build her own immune system. Unless it's an emergency, ok. Not sure where you live but someone in here will guide you to a proper vet in your area.

Thank you! I am in Delran, NJ. 15 minutes away from Philadelphia. This vet was recommended through the AKC and the staff has been great i just really get a bad feeling with them being so quick to pump out meds, especially when we know she is a sensitive breed. Starting bland diet immediately!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you! I am in Delran, NJ. 15 minutes away from Philadelphia. This vet was recommended through the AKC and the staff has been great i just really get a bad feeling with them being so quick to pump out meds, especially when we know she is a sensitive breed. Starting bland diet immediately!

AKC just like CKC is all about money. There's a list in here somewhere. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] has it if you want to change vets.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

YO, neighbor!! I'm born/raised Philly... living out in the western burbs now! :up:

Keep us posted

Members online

No members online now.