megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka Fran aka Mama Beans
Hi everyone!

I'm Megan and a first time english bulldog owner. My baby's name is Francesca (the kids call her Fran) and she is 3 months old. We are currently having some small health problems and I'm not 100% sure what to attribute them too. Nothing crazy, maybe its because shes my first puppy but I am a mess! From vomiting, and loose stool to pink face and chin acne. I've switched her food from the Royal Canin she was eating from the breeder to Wellness core puppy. She seemed to be okay at first (her poopies were looking a lot better) but now shes back to throwing up at least once every other day and loose stool. She loves eating grass, and beetles! I do my best to stop her but have you ever tried getting a little beetle out of a bulldogs mouth?! LOL. I'm worried sick and my husband is taking her to the vet today. (She was previously prescribed antibiotics for the chin acne) Just can't wait to pin point what's having my girl not feel good! This post is a little all over the place, i apologize if its hard to follow! Any feed back or experience would be appreciated!

fran1.jpg
Fran Nugget

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
She is absolutely adorable!! I'm not that much of an experienced EB mom as my husband just brought home our first dog ever almost 2 years ago. Apollo is the light of my life and still my baby. I'd say it's allergies that your puppy has. Ours had allergies to his food (specifically chicken) and we tried maybe one other brand after he came home and then a dog store recommended Merrick and the salmon one. He quickly took to that. They also suffer from environmental allergies. My baby had acne once he started going to daycare. I asked them if they can wipe his mouth after he drank his water and they were fine. We got rid of his acne with neosporin and medicated wipes. We also changed his food bowls from plastic to aluminum. It's been such a learning process but read, read, read and get advice from here. I am quick to jump on here for advice since so many bully owners are so experienced here. When in doubt, take him to the vet. We are in Boston, MA and the vet's here are costly so we don't immediately go BC it's usually been nothing big...and several hundreds of $$$ later....wasted. Good luck!! Fran is a beautiful baby!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone!

I'm Megan and a first time english bulldog owner. My baby's name is Francesca (the kids call her Fran) and she is 3 months old. We are currently having some small health problems and I'm not 100% sure what to attribute them too. Nothing crazy, maybe its because shes my first puppy but I am a mess! From vomiting, and loose stool to pink face and chin acne. I've switched her food from the Royal Canin she was eating from the breeder to Wellness core puppy. She seemed to be okay at first (her poopies were looking a lot better) but now shes back to throwing up at least once every other day and loose stool. She loves eating grass, and beetles! I do my best to stop her but have you ever tried getting a little beetle out of a bulldogs mouth?! LOL. I'm worried sick and my husband is taking her to the vet today. (She was previously prescribed antibiotics for the chin acne) Just can't wait to pin point what's having my girl not feel good! This post is a little all over the place, i apologize if its hard to follow! Any feed back or experience would be appreciated!

View attachment 106669
Fran Nugget

:welcome3: to EBN!

When you switched food did you do a slow transition? If not, it could cause the upset belly.

Chin acne is normal.. wipe her face after she drinks and eats... try to keep it dry.

Fran is adorable.... congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
megskee

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you! I bring her to work with me during the day so she isn't stuck home in her crate and i noticed the red face and acne more once shes here. It may be something the landscapers spray the grass with or maybe the dirt on the floors.. we aren't sure. I love this site so far because they are so high maintenance with so many variables when it comes to their diets and environments, and i love that i can get so much useful info from the different threads. She does have medicated wipes for her vulva. She had a little irritation down there and since we got the wipes its cleared up great. i'm going to try and use one on her chin to see if it helps. I use sensitive baby wipes for her folds and they seem to work fine with no irritation. I wouldn't be able to see tear stains because her fur under her eyes is brown. She's only had one bath, the day we brought her home.. I'm dying to give her another but was advised by the vet to wait until she is done her meds and seen again. I do my best to ask as many questions as possible at the vet. She does have a plastic water bowl (on of the ones that holds in the tank and slow leaks into the bowl) but a porcelain feeding bowl. She's at the vet now with my husband, hoping to get some answers for my poor, sweet girl. She just loves to eat everything she isn't supposed to! Has a million different toys in all different textures but prefers to eat rocks and bugs lol.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you! I bring her to work with me during the day so she isn't stuck home in her crate and i noticed the red face and acne more once shes here. It may be something the landscapers spray the grass with or maybe the dirt on the floors.. we aren't sure. I love this site so far because they are so high maintenance with so many variables when it comes to their diets and environments, and i love that i can get so much useful info from the different threads. She does have medicated wipes for her vulva. She had a little irritation down there and since we got the wipes its cleared up great. i'm going to try and use one on her chin to see if it helps. I use sensitive baby wipes for her folds and they seem to work fine with no irritation. I wouldn't be able to see tear stains because her fur under her eyes is brown. She's only had one bath, the day we brought her home.. I'm dying to give her another but was advised by the vet to wait until she is done her meds and seen again. I do my best to ask as many questions as possible at the vet. She does have a plastic water bowl (on of the ones that holds in the tank and slow leaks into the bowl) but a porcelain feeding bowl. She's at the vet now with my husband, hoping to get some answers for my poor, sweet girl. She just loves to eat everything she isn't supposed to! Has a million different toys in all different textures but prefers to eat rocks and bugs lol.

Rocks and bugs... typical puppy ❤️[emoji16]

OP
megskee

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
:welcome3: to EBN!

When you switched food did you do a slow transition? If not, it could cause the upset belly.

Chin acne is normal.. wipe her face after she drinks and eats... try to keep it dry.

Fran is adorable.... congratulations!

Hi! Yes we did a gradual switch, slow blended over a weeks course. I also have mini milk bone treats and these treats that we give for training
Pet Botanics Training Rewards Dog Treats | dog Training Treats | PetSmart

OP
megskee

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocks and bugs... typical puppy ❤️[emoji16]

It's funny, i have three kids and the saying goes
first kid eats dirt - take them to the hospital
second kid eats dirt - wash their mouth out
third kid eats dirt - question if you still have to feed them lunch.

And this being my first puppy i am absolutely nuts! Googling the bugs making myself crazy wondering if they will give her worms... So with that being said you comment "typical puppy" makes me feel much better!

Thank you :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's funny, i have three kids and the saying goes
first kid eats dirt - take them to the hospital
second kid eats dirt - wash their mouth out
third kid eats dirt - question if you still have to feed them lunch.

And this being my first puppy i am absolutely nuts! Googling the bugs making myself crazy wondering if they will give her worms... So with that being said you comment "typical puppy" makes me feel much better!

Thank you :)

Bulldog = toddler! She will test you constantly and keep you laughing her whole life.

As for the bely, issues i would stop all treats and feed kibble only till she is settled . Might even want to go bland diet fir a few days.

What Wellness core are you feeding?

OP
megskee

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What does her vomit contain.. food or just foam or bile?

How much at each meal do you feed?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone!

View attachment 106669
Fran Nugget

Awwwwa cute cute little Fran! Very often puppy food will give loose stools. Im having same issues with Duke. My other breeds never had issues but this little squirt is. His breeder feeds raw n acana core chicken. No puppy food as she said all her pups gets diarrhea if fed any puppy brand. Wellness is not the greatest brand. A lot of recalls. Im slowly transfering him to Acana duck but I top it with home cooking or raw. Too much food will also loosen stools so keep an eye on that. For the acne, Nyala had it bad and 3nded up getting a dermo cream from the vet. No antibiotics needed as it's normal. Stick to creams so Fran builds her own immune system. If you're giving her antibiotics make sure she gets probiotics at same time. And WELCOME!!!!!

LucyLicious

Jun 26, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy and Billy
You mention she's on meds. A lot of meds can give puppies the poops I'm afraid. So might be that.
She's such a cutey though congrats xxx

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

OP
megskee

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
What does her vomit contain.. food or just foam or bile?

How much at each meal do you feed?

Usually its just food. This last time though it was more of a dry heave and a little stomach juice. She gets about a cup 3 times a day.

OP
megskee

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
You mention she's on meds. A lot of meds can give puppies the poops I'm afraid. So might be that.
She's such a cutey though congrats xxx

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes, i stopped the antibiotics because i felt like they were messing with her system, and wasn't really sure if they're necessary for a red face. I'd rather try home remedies like wiping her after she eats and switching her bowls before i pump her full of medication. I assumed the vet would suggest these things but they didnt even mention it! She came home from the vet yesterday with more medicine! anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea. Its crazy. My husband took her i probably would of refused them.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Hi everyone!

View attachment 106669
Fran Nugget

What a sweet faced little girl.

Members online

No members online now.