I am a new bully mom and dont have a clue

Bullymommy2017

Jun 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Hi everyone i am a new bully mom and i have no clue what to expect Georgia is my first bulldog and a resuce so we are already having problems with her
She has a cough i have had her to the vet and she has a bad yeast infection on her body and a bad gag problem
The vet said she didnt have a upper respiratory infection

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome4:to EBN! You haVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE. I recently rescued a 6 yr.old girl. One night she coughed all night. The next day I took her to my vet. She did not have a respiratory infection, but he looked in her throat and she had a lot of flegm and a sore throat. He prescribed cephalixin, and a cough med. She didn't cough again and I didn't give the cough meds, but she took the meds twice a day for 7 days. Did your vet look down her throat?
I am not experienced with a yeast infection. Hopefully your vet gave you advice for that. Someone will also be able to advise for that here. How old is your bullie,and can you post a photo? Also what kind of food are you feeding?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone i am a new bully mom and i have no clue what to expect Georgia is my first bulldog and a resuce so we are already having problems with her
She has a cough i have had her to the vet and she has a bad yeast infection on her body and a bad gag problem
The vet said she didnt have a upper respiratory infection

Hi there and WELCOME! !! Ok first things first..... what do you feed your dog? Is this a vet bully or has some knowledge of the breed? If not [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] can refer you to a bully vet. I personally have a diffuser n use essential oils to clear the air n the particles in the air. Here's a link you should read from what members did n use to help their dogs.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Also, there is the search button above to your right. Tons n tons of great info in here that will help you enormously. Nyala as a pup had a very bad cold with green guk coming out of her nose, eyes n would gag too. Went to the vet gave antibiotics as was advanced but....I put an oil mix of essential oils over her kennel for 2 days and bammm gone!!! In your case, first lets rule out the food for the yeast issue. We need to know what you feed your baby. Other members will answer you so hang on they will comment to help you. We are all here for you. Oh and we like PHOTOS!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN and thank you for rescuing this baby.

As has been asked... what food brand and protein are you feeding? Age? Where are you located so we can find an experienced bully vet to help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
For yeast infection on body you want to avoid foods that dog is allergic to- bulldogs are commonly allergic to chicken and beef so venison, turkey, duck,rabbit etc may be safer. Some good examples of kibbles are Fromm Four Star dog food or Orijen. You may want to switch to a dehydrated raw dog food such as Spot Farms or EasyRaw (cheaper), Grandma Lucy's ,Sojos or Honest Kitchen (more expensive).

For the cough most vets seems to be prescribing clavulin if it persists.

For the gag problem she may need soft palate surgery, but maybe a simple switch to a better food, mixing the food with water, elevating her feeding bowl, and giving her a slow feeding bowl, may work.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Also, if she currently has a yeast infection on her body, you should bathe her with a shampoo containing ketoconazole twice weekly for a couple of weeks, then weekly till it goes away. eg. ketohex, curaseb shampoo. If it's a small area you may be able to use selsun blue shampoo but it's not formulated for dogs so will be more irritating.

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
Welcome to EBN and thank you for rescuing this baby.

As has been asked... what food brand and protein are you feeding? Age? Where are you located so we can find an experienced bully vet to help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama - do you know of any bully vets in Tennessee??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
The OP never came back!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17358]CW2223[/MENTION] My Veterinarian is in Smithville,Tn. There are quite a few people who drive a long distance to come to him. He also has a partner who has worked with since he was a youngster. Graduated Vet school last year, and is top notch! Where are you located?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
[MENTION=17358]CW2223[/MENTION]

I live outside of the Nashville area... where are you located?

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
[MENTION=17358]CW2223[/MENTION]

I live outside of the Nashville area... where are you located?

Sorry, just saw this! I'm in the Brentwood area. You? Do you like your vet? I'm really starting to get frustrated with ours and would love to find someone local.

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
[MENTION=17358]CW2223[/MENTION] My Veterinarian is in Smithville,Tn. There are quite a few people who drive a long distance to come to him. He also has a partner who has worked with since he was a youngster. Graduated Vet school last year, and is top notch! Where are you located?

I'm in middle TN just south of Nashville.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.