Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 19

Thread: Howdy from Texas

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default Howdy from Texas

    I've had my English Bulldog, Lola for almost 10 months. She turns 1 year old in June. We love her dearly, but I joined this forum to get some help on a matter of her being scared of everything. I have to explain that we lost a French Bulldog, which Lola was very close with from July thru February (8 months of Lola's life they were together). Our French Bulldog died at only 4 years old (degenerative spine disease), which crushed us and Lola has gone into this mode of being scared of anything and everything. We took her recently on a trip to Memphis from Dallas to see Graceland and stayed in the Graceland RV park and I physically had to bring her outside to go potty and even then she would not go. We toured Graceland and immediately just came home where she ran to the backyard and went potty. She ended up getting a urinary infection holding it that long. She is fine now, but we travel a lot and have a motorhome and she seemed to travel fine as a pup with our French Bulldog. The vet said we should just get another French Bulldog, but not sure we are ready. I would like to see what others here think. We love Lola and she does seem a bit better after the vet put her on prozac, but I don't want to keep her on that forever. I look forward to some feedback from members here. This is our first English Bulldog so I would really appreciated your thoughts. Here are a few pictures of our lovely Lola.

    -img_0846-jpg-img_0835-jpg -img_0535-jpg

  2. #2
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    12,767
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    9952

    Default Re: Howdy from Texas

    @Hawk71 Poor Lola has never been "alone". She went from her puppy family, right to her Frenchie buddy. She now feels insecure without someone by her side. I know that some bulldogs are skittish about things,but she learned from birth not to be a loner. I agree with your vet that the best thing for Lola would be another companion! Make her a happy gal again!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  3. Likes Texas Carol, helsonwheels liked this post
  4. #3
    Newbie
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default Re: Howdy from Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @Hawk71 Poor Lola has never been "alone". She went from her puppy family, right to her Frenchie buddy. She now feels insecure without someone by her side. I know that some bulldogs are skittish about things,but she learned from birth not to be a loner. I agree with your vet that the best thing for Lola would be another companion! Make her a happy gal again!

    I know. It's just so hard. Every time my wife and I start looking at frenchies we get overwhelmed and stop. We loved Sophie so much, but I think we are going to have to suck it up and do it for Lola.

  5. Likes Texas Carol, helsonwheels liked this post
  6. #4
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Posts
    4,460
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)
    3814

    Default Re: Howdy from Texas

    Well she sure is gorgeous, (and made me sing that song" L O L A lo oola".... I'm real older) and just an fyi,,,though she does seem extreme, these guys (at least it seems to be the general census here) have different forms of OCD and some with anxiety behavior, and all seem to have some of the strangest fears.... such as, things being out of place, and for Hank he really doesn't like tape measures or strait things, bags blowing in the wind, black bags on the side of the road etc, but!!!!!!!!!! we just keep going and mostly, just notice these oddities occasionally. (he's 13 months) He wasn't a fearfujl pup at all, just 'notices' things more than any other dog I've known. My daughters pug doesn't like travel but she didn't do it as a youngin so kind of hard to make her like it now, but yours is still young and you want a happy girl travel girl (she's a lucky pup) so mabie just start using your motor home to feed her, or drive her around the block in it and then feed her,then take her to her familiar place to potty and then go back in and read or something with her for a bit in the motor home just to let her know she's not stuck in there.. .. I've read so much about not doing too much comforting when they are in their fearful mode, but letting them get through it and move on... Anyway,,,, Welcome, you sure have a gorgeous girl, and she's young, and there will be lots of good advice coming

  7. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  8. #5
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Posts
    4,460
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)
    3814

    Default Re: Howdy from Texas

    and ps....... yes, I'm sure a 'friend' would be a great distraction I'm so sorry for your loss,. I'm still week from loosing my baby (15yr old girl Tzu) And wasn't ready for this hunk I ended up with, but he is healing my heart.

  9. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  10. #6
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    12,767
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    9952

    Default Re: Howdy from Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk71 View Post
    I know. It's just so hard. Every time my wife and I start looking at frenchies we get overwhelmed and stop. We loved Sophie so much, but I think we are going to have to suck it up and do it for Lola.
    I know it is hard-I also lost my Frenchie(Carlie) at 4 years old. She had liver and spleen cancer. The thing is that you will always love another-but never try to compare them to the last one. They are all loveable in their own way!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  11. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama liked this post
  12. #7
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,581
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
    Likes (Received)
    3388

    Default Re: Howdy from Texas

    Lola is lovely and my condolences on losing her big sister & y'all's dear love

    If you feel it's too soon to get another, than it is!

    Lola is young and will adjust, give her time & patience, exhibit calmness & love
    (as I know you are). Try giving her a high value treat ONLY after potty and try to
    potty in same area. Weirdly, it might help to lead her there on a leash (giving
    control over to you). A thunder shirt might help comfort her as well as a herbal
    spray called 'rescue remedy', it's good to know prozac is helping. Wean her off
    slowly and sooner than later when she's recovered.

    Try not to worry or stress as they sense these things and I know it's hard too, as
    you'll are grieving~I'm so sad, she was way too young Have faith Lola will be
    herself and soon, back to her fabulous self!

    Welcome here, it's a wonderful, caring group and I'm a Texan, down in Central TX.
    Lived in Dallas several times, love it! Group hug, XOXO


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  14. #8
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    46,120
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    17216

    Default Re: Howdy from Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk71 View Post
    I've had my English Bulldog, Lola for almost 10 months. She turns 1 year old in June. We love her dearly, but I joined this forum to get some help on a matter of her being scared of everything. I have to explain that we lost a French Bulldog, which Lola was very close with from July thru February (8 months of Lola's life they were together). Our French Bulldog died at only 4 years old (degenerative spine disease), which crushed us and Lola has gone into this mode of being scared of anything and everything. We took her recently on a trip to Memphis from Dallas to see Graceland and stayed in the Graceland RV park and I physically had to bring her outside to go potty and even then she would not go. We toured Graceland and immediately just came home where she ran to the backyard and went potty. She ended up getting a urinary infection holding it that long. She is fine now, but we travel a lot and have a motorhome and she seemed to travel fine as a pup with our French Bulldog. The vet said we should just get another French Bulldog, but not sure we are ready. I would like to see what others here think. We love Lola and she does seem a bit better after the vet put her on prozac, but I don't want to keep her on that forever. I look forward to some feedback from members here. This is our first English Bulldog so I would really appreciated your thoughts. Here are a few pictures of our lovely Lola.

    -img_0846-jpg-img_0835-jpg -img_0535-jpg
    to EBN! Lola is gorgeous!

    So very sorry on the loss of your Frenchie.. they will always be with you and never replaced.

    Our female Bulldog, Banks, past suddenly and Cheli (our Frenchie) went into a depression. We ended up getting a new Bulldog exactly one month after banks past, not for us, but for Cheli. it was heart breaking watching him be so lost, not playing, barely eating and just wanting to sleep. Once we got the puppy (now 2 yr old Lambeau) he perked back up and returned to himself.

    My guess is, your Frenchie ruled the house and Lola is now 'lost'. If Lola is submissive or just not an alpha type dog, she is looking for leadership and what would cause her fear of everything is feeling that is no longer there. is that possible?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  15. Likes Texas Carol, ddnene, Cbrugs liked this post
  16. #9
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,363
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1731

    Default Re: Howdy from Texas

    She is a beauty, ans so sorry for your loss. I think in time she will eventually adjust, but an other buddy would definitely help her.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - Hazel, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Coup


  17. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
  18. #10
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    harveyspecter's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Yorba Linda (The OC), California
    Posts
    5,456
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    4435

    Default Re: Howdy from Texas

    Indeed she misses her old buddy. Find her a new company. Sounds like the therapeutic solution.
    Hug your bully today

  19. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  20. #11
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,915
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    13226

    Default Re: Howdy from Texas

    So sorry for your little Frenchie. Have you tried going to dog parks or places Lola can play with other dogs? Or friends, family that has dogs?

  21. #12
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    14,124
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    7725

    Default Re: Howdy from Texas

    to EBN!!! I'm SO sorry to hear of your loss, and Lola is just lost w/out her buddy. The same scenario happened to us, and we had a puppy at the time (our Walter) when we lost our boxer Roxie. I waited some time before we got Willow, but I think that dogs that are raised in pairs become lonely after a loss. I agree w/Chrisitne that maybe your Frenchie was the alpha and Lola is just confused and scared...

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  22. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •