Hawk71

May 8, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I've had my English Bulldog, Lola for almost 10 months. She turns 1 year old in June. We love her dearly, but I joined this forum to get some help on a matter of her being scared of everything. I have to explain that we lost a French Bulldog, which Lola was very close with from July thru February (8 months of Lola's life they were together). Our French Bulldog died at only 4 years old (degenerative spine disease), which crushed us and Lola has gone into this mode of being scared of anything and everything. We took her recently on a trip to Memphis from Dallas to see Graceland and stayed in the Graceland RV park and I physically had to bring her outside to go potty and even then she would not go. We toured Graceland and immediately just came home where she ran to the backyard and went potty. She ended up getting a urinary infection holding it that long. She is fine now, but we travel a lot and have a motorhome and she seemed to travel fine as a pup with our French Bulldog. The vet said we should just get another French Bulldog, but not sure we are ready. I would like to see what others here think. We love Lola and she does seem a bit better after the vet put her on prozac, but I don't want to keep her on that forever. I look forward to some feedback from members here. This is our first English Bulldog so I would really appreciated your thoughts. Here are a few pictures of our lovely Lola.

IMG_0846.JPGView attachment IMG_0835.JPG IMG_0535.JPG

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome4: [MENTION=17132]Hawk71[/MENTION] Poor Lola has never been "alone". She went from her puppy family, right to her Frenchie buddy. She now feels insecure without someone by her side. I know that some bulldogs are skittish about things,but she learned from birth not to be a loner. I agree with your vet that the best thing for Lola would be another companion! Make her a happy gal again!

OP
H

Hawk71

May 8, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
:welcome4: [MENTION=17132]Hawk71[/MENTION] Poor Lola has never been "alone". She went from her puppy family, right to her Frenchie buddy. She now feels insecure without someone by her side. I know that some bulldogs are skittish about things,but she learned from birth not to be a loner. I agree with your vet that the best thing for Lola would be another companion! Make her a happy gal again!

I know. It's just so hard. Every time my wife and I start looking at frenchies we get overwhelmed and stop. We loved Sophie so much, but I think we are going to have to suck it up and do it for Lola.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Well she sure is gorgeous, (and made me sing that song" L O L A lo oola".... I'm real older) and just an fyi,,,though she does seem extreme, these guys (at least it seems to be the general census here) have different forms of OCD and some with anxiety behavior, and all seem to have some of the strangest fears.... such as, things being out of place, and for Hank he really doesn't like tape measures or strait things, bags blowing in the wind, black bags on the side of the road etc, but!!!!!!!!!! we just keep going and mostly, just notice these oddities occasionally. (he's 13 months) He wasn't a fearfujl pup at all, just 'notices' things more than any other dog I've known. My daughters pug doesn't like travel but she didn't do it as a youngin so kind of hard to make her like it now, but yours is still young and you want a happy girl travel girl (she's a lucky pup) so mabie just start using your motor home to feed her, or drive her around the block in it and then feed her,then take her to her familiar place to potty and then go back in and read or something with her for a bit in the motor home just to let her know she's not stuck in there.. .. I've read so much about not doing too much comforting when they are in their fearful mode, but letting them get through it and move on... Anyway,,,, Welcome, you sure have a gorgeous girl, and she's young, and there will be lots of good advice coming :)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
and ps....... yes, I'm sure a 'friend' would be a great distraction :) I'm so sorry for your loss,. I'm still week from loosing my baby (15yr old girl Tzu) And wasn't ready for this hunk I ended up with, but he is healing my heart.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I know. It's just so hard. Every time my wife and I start looking at frenchies we get overwhelmed and stop. We loved Sophie so much, but I think we are going to have to suck it up and do it for Lola.

I know it is hard-I also lost my Frenchie(Carlie) at 4 years old. She had liver and spleen cancer. The thing is that you will always love another-but never try to compare them to the last one. They are all loveable in their own way!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Lola is lovely and my condolences on losing her big sister & y'all's dear love :(

If you feel it's too soon to get another, than it is!

Lola is young and will adjust, give her time & patience, exhibit calmness & love
(as I know you are). Try giving her a high value treat ONLY after potty and try to
potty in same area. Weirdly, it might help to lead her there on a leash (giving
control over to you). A thunder shirt might help comfort her as well as a herbal
spray called 'rescue remedy', it's good to know prozac is helping. Wean her off
slowly and sooner than later when she's recovered.

Try not to worry or stress as they sense these things and I know it's hard too, as
you'll are grieving~I'm so sad, she was way too young :( Have faith Lola will be
herself and soon, back to her fabulous self!

Welcome here, it's a wonderful, caring group and I'm a Texan, down in Central TX.
Lived in Dallas several times, love it! Group hug, XOXO

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've had my English Bulldog, Lola for almost 10 months. She turns 1 year old in June. We love her dearly, but I joined this forum to get some help on a matter of her being scared of everything. I have to explain that we lost a French Bulldog, which Lola was very close with from July thru February (8 months of Lola's life they were together). Our French Bulldog died at only 4 years old (degenerative spine disease), which crushed us and Lola has gone into this mode of being scared of anything and everything. We took her recently on a trip to Memphis from Dallas to see Graceland and stayed in the Graceland RV park and I physically had to bring her outside to go potty and even then she would not go. We toured Graceland and immediately just came home where she ran to the backyard and went potty. She ended up getting a urinary infection holding it that long. She is fine now, but we travel a lot and have a motorhome and she seemed to travel fine as a pup with our French Bulldog. The vet said we should just get another French Bulldog, but not sure we are ready. I would like to see what others here think. We love Lola and she does seem a bit better after the vet put her on prozac, but I don't want to keep her on that forever. I look forward to some feedback from members here. This is our first English Bulldog so I would really appreciated your thoughts. Here are a few pictures of our lovely Lola.

View attachment 105857View attachment 105858 View attachment 105859

:welcome3: to EBN! Lola is gorgeous!

So very sorry on the loss of your Frenchie.. they will always be with you and never replaced.

Our female Bulldog, Banks, past suddenly and Cheli (our Frenchie) went into a depression. We ended up getting a new Bulldog exactly one month after banks past, not for us, but for Cheli. it was heart breaking watching him be so lost, not playing, barely eating and just wanting to sleep. Once we got the puppy (now 2 yr old Lambeau) he perked back up and returned to himself.

My guess is, your Frenchie ruled the house and Lola is now 'lost'. If Lola is submissive or just not an alpha type dog, she is looking for leadership and what would cause her fear of everything is feeling that is no longer there. is that possible?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She is a beauty, ans so sorry for your loss. I think in time she will eventually adjust, but an other buddy would definitely help her.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So sorry for your little Frenchie. Have you tried going to dog parks or places Lola can play with other dogs? Or friends, family that has dogs?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I'm SO sorry to hear of your loss, and Lola is just lost w/out her buddy. The same scenario happened to us, and we had a puppy at the time (our Walter) when we lost our boxer Roxie. I waited some time before we got Willow, but I think that dogs that are raised in pairs become lonely after a loss. I agree w/Chrisitne that maybe your Frenchie was the alpha and Lola is just confused and scared...

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Welcome, sorry it's under such circumstances. Lola is a beauty! It's heart wrenching to lose a family member..thoughts are with you and yours as you work through the grieving process. :cry:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Lola is a queen! I do not have much to offer beyond what has already been said except you might want to consider a Thunder Shirt. They sometimes work very well in the confidence department.

OP
H

Hawk71

May 8, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Well folks....WE DID IT!!! We got another French Bulldog today. Lola is over the moon excited! I haven't seen her this excited and happy since February when we lost Sophie. Thanks for everyone's input on this thread. My family and I appreciate the time and thought put into your comments. Say hello to COOPER, our new French Bulldog!

IMG_1608.JPG05.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online