Hello from Tuscumbia, Al. New owner, long time lover of all things bulldog.

nealandchristy11

Feb 20, 2017
Alabama
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonnie
I have a female who is about 5 1/2 months old almost 40 lbs. She is a joy, I have noticed she moves stiffly after she has lain down for awhile. She is constantly chasing our boys and balls and jumping on and off couch. In and out of tub, etc. I wonder if she is too heavy or just worn out and getting too much exercise. Also, the boys are always sharing their food with her. Our vet says she is a good weight but I worry about her joints. Her dad was a big boy 73 lbs. Mom was 55 lbs. I have an appt to see vet ASAP. I know there is a lot of wisdom in this forum and would value your input. Also, do you think I should buy an elevated cot to help keep the pressure off her joints. BTW, she weighed 18.3 @13 weeks old. I posted some pics in an album. Thanks in advance. Any advice on acne?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! The best way to judge her weight would be to see a pic of her, sometimes bullies are just built on the large scale. My Willow is tiny and she is a jumper, it's really hard to stop them once they start doing that on the furniture. An elevated cot would be a great idea, I just ordered one for my guys and I would stop feeding her table food. I know it's not easy, but that can really pack the weight on... try to give her fruit/veggies instead.

I'm curious what food are you feeding her... sometimes that can contribute to the acne. I use Duoxo wipes on my two, and that takes care of their folds and any acne. You can find the wipes on Amazon.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Stainless or glass bowls for acne...no plastics Baby wipes for daily maintenance of face and folds and under tail.
Lets see some pics taken from overhead to eval weight...although I give puppies a pass on being a little rollee-pollee. Also, she is growing and that could be contributing to the apparent stiffness/soreness. Table food bad...always bad except for, like ddnene says, fruits, veggies.
Welcome!

Doobs41378

Mar 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Figgy
That is a big one. Mine is 4 months old this weekend and still under 20lbs.....I am actually wondering if he will ever start to grow.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
They come in all sizes. Dont panick just yet. Still a pup. Nyala is a Bantam Bulldogge. Suppose to weigh between 25 - 40lbs. Well Nyala is 50lbs and only 18 months old. She's not fat either. So you get EB with same situations. English Bulldog suppose to weigh from 50 to 55lbs....well some members in here can tell you "fat chance" their furballs weigh 50lbs. More like 40 or 60plus. So dont worry especially if it plays, moves alot and happy. Nyala when her pitbulls cousins come over to play, whom are much heavier than her, they all play non stop and all 3 are burned out at night. A month ago Nyala walked like an old lady. First time she did that. Now she gets more time out at play time. All dogs shouldn't be playing rough till 12-14 months old. Well we all know that wont happen. So let your puppy play but supervise her she doesn't over do it. A good 5 min break here n there will be good for her. The kids should not feed her. You will regret it later on. Also if she develops an allergy, you will have issues determine what it is. Stick to just her food n snacks. Oh oh one more thing....WELCOME!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have a female who is about 5 1/2 months old almost 40 lbs. She is a joy, I have noticed she moves stiffly after she has lain down for awhile. She is constantly chasing our boys and balls and jumping on and off couch. In and out of tub, etc. I wonder if she is too heavy or just worn out and getting too much exercise. Also, the boys are always sharing their food with her. Our vet says she is a good weight but I worry about her joints. Her dad was a big boy 73 lbs. Mom was 55 lbs. I have an appt to see vet ASAP. I know there is a lot of wisdom in this forum and would value your input. Also, do you think I should buy an elevated cot to help keep the pressure off her joints. BTW, she weighed 18.3 @13 weeks old. I posted some pics in an album. Thanks in advance. Any advice on acne?

:welcome3: to EBN

Gang gave great info.... can we get a picture from above so we can see your baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nealandchristy11

nealandchristy11

Feb 20, 2017
Alabama
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonnie
She is sleeping in my clean laundry right now, when she gets up I'll take her outside and take her picture. She really doesn't look overweight until she lays down. SHE IS VERY ACTIVE. She is a ball lover and I play fetch with her all the time. Bonnie is resolute in her role as protector of the boys. She takes every step they do. If they are jumping off tall buildings(the couch) onto a mattress then by golly Bonnie does too. I'm not joking. She gets in the bathtub every time they do, it's hilarious. I really appreciate all the replies to my questions. I have had dogs my whole life, all kinds from Chihuahuas to Great Danes. I have had Boston's for years but I truly believe that Bonnie is actuallya human in disguise. She is so emotive and literally happy all the time like a big kid. It's amazing and I'm lucky to have her as my best friend. She would ride on my shoulder if she could fit. Do they all act like little people? I enjoy reading all the great info on this site. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
OP
nealandchristy11

nealandchristy11

Feb 20, 2017
Alabama
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonnie
I forgot to say that I know table food is horrible for her, the boys think they are doing something good when they share their food with her. I am working hard on that, the only extra treats I give her are yogurt and chicken livers occasionally. Thanks again for all the advice.

OP
nealandchristy11

nealandchristy11

Feb 20, 2017
Alabama
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonnie
Thanks for all the replies and great advice. Vet says her joints are sound but she is big girl and losing 3 or 4 pounds wouldnt hurt. The boys are doing better sneaking food to her because they dont want to hurt her. My new question is about puppy food. Do you think the extra calories and protein are a contributing factor? At what age did you all stop feeding puppy food? I think because she is gonna be a big girl that she might need the puppy food still to support her growth. Any advice?

Attachments

• 20170506_161248.jpg
    20170506_161248.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20170505_195928.jpg
    20170505_195928.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20170506_161220.jpg
    20170506_161220.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 20170506_165557.jpg
    20170506_165557.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 117

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
omy she's beautiful.. and yes she sure does look round when laying down but to me, looks good standing up... I 'think' that the bigger the dogs going to be the more carful you need to be about puppy food and extras.. You don't want them growing to fast and that's sometimes what puppy food will do if feed beyond when needed. I also think she's at a good age to transition to a good adult food. Also,;) real food is not bad for them, but feeidng at all times of the day with 'wrong' people food is no good in more ways than one. (which I know you already know but kid's ;) are still learning) Bad habit for one, excessive weight another, and with feeding willy nilly, you wont know what may cause a reaction if she has an issue. Anyway, you'll get better advice but these are just my thoughts. And boy oh boy, aren't they something???!!!!! I never ever thought to have a bulldog. Just not my style... HA!!!!!! boy was I wrong about them,,, Sweetest hearts, comical, and just plane delightful little/big heavy children... :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can switch to adult food around 8 months... give her frozen greens beans as treats and the kids lessening the table food will help too.

What food do you feed?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You can switch to adult food around 8 months... :ponder: or is it 6 months... ? give her frozen greens beans as treats and the kids lessening the table food will help too.

What food do you feed?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.