Our new puppy....

Doobs41378

Mar 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Figgy
Hi there! This is our new puppy Figgy. He is 13 weeks old today and we have had him a little over 4 weeks. He has done great his first 4 weeks here. Sleeps all night in his crate ( 9+ hours without moving ) he goes to the door when he needs to go out. If we could get him to stop nipping/biting our 7 year old and go for walk he would be perfect. We started puppy kindergarten last week to help with those though. Our last dog was a bullmastiff so its weird to go from 150lb dog to a 8lb dog. Here is a picture of him ( he isn't supposed to be under the lamp like that :D:D )

Attachments

• Dog1.jpg
    Dog1.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 141

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Congrats, he is a cutie pie. The biting will eventually stop, after he gets out of puppy hood. May take a few months, but he will learn. When he does bite, just tell him NO bite, and give him a chew toy. Plus just a reminder, no rawhides, pig ears, or bully sticks. They can be chocking hazards, or worse.

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Ahh, Figgy is gorgeous!! That picture really reminds me of Reggie when he was that small, he used to sit on the shelf under our coffee table too. He can't fit now lol
Welcome to the forum!!

We have had a lot of problems with biting. He still does it now and he's 7 months old, though it definitely doesn't hurt as much since he doesn't have his needle puppy teeth!
In his defence he has had some uncomfortable health issues. I hope in your case that training and patience solve the problem, but if you think he's not making progress after a certain amount of time then get him checked out to rule out pain as a cause.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
hes soooooooooooo cute!!! and welcome :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

Figgy is adorable !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I think he is in the perfect spot! He's gorgeous!

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
:welcome3: What a cutie!! - he is doing great, as mentioned the biting will get better, and with some good guidance, you will be just fine.

At that age, I was shark bait for Ellie, but with some tricks we learned from our puppy school teacher, they saved the day

OP
D

Doobs41378

Mar 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Figgy
Thanks guys! It has been 10 years since our last puppy and I forgot how much work they are but he is a sweet little guy and it makes it that much easier. Do all of your dogs like to go for walks? Even if I put a cheese stick by his nose he just sits there. Zero motivation to walk most of the time. Sometimes he does great on walks but most of the time it is a no go.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks guys! It has been 10 years since our last puppy and I forgot how much work they are but he is a sweet little guy and it makes it that much easier. Do all of your dogs like to go for walks? Even if I put a cheese stick by his nose he just sits there. Zero motivation to walk most of the time. Sometimes he does great on walks but most of the time it is a no go.

:welcome2: to EBN!!! Do you have a harness? I have found that dogs prefer a harness over the collar/leash deal... it makes it easier on everyone w/the harness. Start small, maybe just a walk to the corner and back. And the timing has to be right, I try to walk mine when they are wound up and full of energy.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
My experience was that Hank just didnt like to leave 'his' area... no matter which house i was leaving, he didnt want to go far from it. Even getting out of auto, he would want to stay in the vicinity of what ever he just got out of. soooooooooo, if your guy is still lift able, i would carry him away from his 'area' and see if that does the trick. Hank loved the walk, just hated to leave home. Does fine now, but took a while to outgrow, and actually, still looks at me intently and often till we get out of his perimeters of 'home' and then he settles..

OP
D

Doobs41378

Mar 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Figgy
Yeah he wears a harness. I can still carry him, he's still only 13lbs so he's a little guy. I will try the carrying him away option and see if he does better. Thanks guys.

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
[MENTION=16998]Doobs41378[/MENTION] For ages Reggie hated leaving the house. He would go a short way (about 3 meters) for a pee, and then race back in.
While we could still lift him we used to carry him down the road and then walk him back. Now he loves being out, as long as its not on a busy road - he still hates traffic, buses in particular.

I'm sure his confidence will build as he gets a little older.
Have you tried cajoling him in a super excited voice?? As in "whats this Figgy?? Shall we go out, whats outside?"
It might work but you'll feel like a right idiot when you catch your neighbours staring at you like you're nuts :D

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.