Christopher
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Obie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello from Obie!

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Yes, puppy kibble 3 times a day. There is a chart here-- I'll find and post for feeding guideline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    he is gorgeous!!!
    Thanks for this, answered all of my food questions!

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ObietheWan View Post
    Oh I don't mean purely hand feeding, I meant using his food as a treat during training instead of feeding him a lunch, so he is more meal driven to learn. That's what all the YouTube videos and articles have said about training a puppy. Obie will be three months when I go to get him. Everyone in the house will be carrying him to his potty spot every couple of hours or 30 minute after a meal and propper praise and maybe a treat for his house training. I'm sure it will take upwards of a year to get him fully trained to where he can have free roam of the house.
    So you say the purple bag of orijen puppy is not good? Boy that sucks I already bought a 25 lb bag of it. Oops!
    No no its good! Nothing wrong with it lol. I think they are bigger bites right? Yellow bag is small to med size dogs as puppies and purple is for large breed puppy. Example like if you had a St Bernard puppy. Use it or see if they can exchange it. If not, geez use it for sure.

Potty Trainer
    Country
    Us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cash
    Likes (Received)

Also, I have bought a clicker trainer and a treat bag to help train him, but I'm not too sure on how to get started, or how long to wait before I start trying to train
    A question I can actually answer!!! I used a clicker to train my German Shephard and it was amazing how fast he picked it up. Everything I taught him he had mastered in 10 min or less. Now, EB are a bit more......stubborn, so may not cooperate as well but it should still be an invaluable tool considering how treat driven they are.

First thing I do is spend a day teaching him to associate clicker with reward. Keep treats handy and randomly click then treat. Make sure you treat immediately after click, like within 3 sec so he will associate click with reward. You will know he has made the connection when he immediately looks at you with anticipation when you click (won't take very long!).

When it comes to training you give the command and the very instant he does what you want click and reward. The most important thing is to click and reward the second he does what you want so he will be able to identify what behavior resulted in the treat. Also, never ever click and treat for a behavior you didn't command. For example, you say "sit" and he lays down you may be tempted to click and treat cuz hey, it's close enough and he's so darn cute, but resist the temptation. It will only confuse him. The exception to this rule is when you have to do a staggered lesson. For example, when teaching my GS to shake I started with saying "shake" and he would look at me in confusion. I would repeat a couple more times and he was confused but raised his paw to paw at me and express his confusion and that's when I immediately clicked and treated. He recognized that lifing his paw was what I wanted. Then when I would say shake he would paw at me and I would click and reward each time. Once I was confident he had that down I graduated to only clicking when he put his paw in my hand. I would command "shake" and he would paw at my leg but I withheld the click and treat and repeated the command thrusting my hand towards him each time. After a couple times his paw accidentally hit my hand and I immediately clicked and treated so he made the connection that "shake" meant put paw in hand. So it was learned in steps.

I highly recommend clicker training and there are lot of videos on YouTube that can help. That was a very long response, I know but hope some of it can help!

5. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama, Hankster liked this post
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Obie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Kassy! So I'm assuming sit, stay, down, and shake would be good starting cues to work on? I've seen a few videos on staggered training, but it seems it's going to be a confusing time as to trying to catch the pup doing part of the behaviour im looking for, then catching it and treating it; and them praying he understood why so be replicates it. Lol. But I'm sure I'll get a better understanding once I get some hands on with the guy. So excited, 5 more days!

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Aww... Congratulations on your new addition, Obie is adorable!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diamond
    Likes (Received)

What a cutie he is!! Congratulations and welcome to the forum!! I am new here too but just had to say that you've found a wonderful place for all your bullies needs

Dog Hoarder Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Hello everyone!
    So I have finally decided to hop on the bulldog train. This Thursday the 30th, I will be picking up my beautiful brindle bulldog, who I have named Obie, from my breeder.
    I've spent several months researching the dog, the possible health issues, the stubbornness and all of the joy they can possibly bring to me, my family, and my friends.
    A bit about me. I am a swing shift industrial mechanic at a fiberglass insulation plant, which means my schedule changes on a weekly basis, but also get five days off every month. (I'll be picking Obie up during the start of my long days off, to help him settle into the house.) I also live with two other room mates, one of which works a flex schedule like me, and the other works a standard 9 to 5.
    I think I've got the schedule lined up right for everyone and we're all on the same page, but I do have a few questions if anyone wants to help right off the bat!

I want to try to put Obie on Orijen Medium dog puppy food, but how long should I wait after getting him, and how much should I portion into his meals when I do start to make the transition?

I have bought 5 Kong classics, and also a puzzle feeder bowl, but am curious as to if I should mix his meals between the both? For example, in the mornings he is bowl fed, and then for his afternoon meal fed by hand during his training sessions, and then a frozen kibble Kong at night?

I have already prepared a crate for him, and have a den sectioned off with baby gates.

Because puppies are notorious for bite playing, I have bought tons of toys/ropes for him to play with, but is there anything else I should know of to use to help him learn?

Also, I have bought a clicker trainer and a treat bag to help train him, but I'm not too sure on how to get started, or how long to wait before I start trying to train him.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read all of that 
    Hi there welcome to EBN , wow what a looker Obie is perfect .
    I also p/u a new pup but April 22nd for Me so pumped for her to come home .
    Listen find a good BULLDOG vet is a priority ok , also NO RATTLES in the new toys a choking issue I have had it happen , those sharp little teeth get the rattle out it is huge trouble ok
    Find a good if not excellent pup dog food you building a healthy always grain free as should be any treats , on this site there are great links to excellent foods and maybe vets in your area ok
    Ask tons of questions here there is NO stupid question this place is a gold mine of info from real owners like you that just plain love the breed , Megan will be My forth EB and others hear have had way more then that so there is a wealth of real info here .
    More pics we love pics here -meg2-jpg Her is our Meg = Megan at 3 weeks old
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

Real Name
    Christopher
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Obie
    Likes (Received)

Yeah I know several local bulldog owners that ha e referred me to a good vet here locally that takes good care of his bulldog patients.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

1 more day????

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to you and Obie!!!!! Absolutely ADORABLE !!!!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

Real Name
    Christopher
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Obie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    1 more day????
    NO TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 hours and 28 minutes to be exact! Haha!

15. Likes Hankster, 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

NO TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 hours and 28 minutes to be exact! Haha!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads