Thread: Brand new Bully

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Brand new Bully

Hi all, I have just adopted a gorgeous Bulldog called Bella :-)

She is a rescue, and has been used in a puppy farm, so she has quite a few issues that we are working through!

I absolutely adore her - and am working hard to understand her needs - as I realise that looking after a Bully is not the same as any other dog!

At the moment, I me having a problem with her eye furrows - she absolutely will not let me anywhere near her to clean them! Her tear stains have got quite bad and I have some eye wipes - but she literally will not let me get anywhere near her. She is BIG and ridiculously strong . Does anyone have any advice on how I can help her? -20170216_150652-jpg

2. Likes ndlv68, 2BullyMama, ddnene liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Brand new Bully

Welcome and so good to have yo here with all us bulldog loven people I cant wait to hear what they all have to say Lots of good help here, I love it ...

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Thank you :-)

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bella Chops View Post
    Hi all, I have just adopted a gorgeous Bulldog called Bella :-)

She is a rescue, and has been used in a puppy farm, so she has quite a few issues that we are working through!

I absolutely adore her - and am working hard to understand her needs - as I realise that looking after a Bully is not the same as any other dog!

At the moment, I me having a problem with her eye furrows - she absolutely will not let me anywhere near her to clean them! Her tear stains have got quite bad and I have some eye wipes - but she literally will not let me get anywhere near her. She is BIG and ridiculously strong . Does anyone have any advice on how I can help her? -20170216_150652-jpg
    How long has she been with you? Other than the cleaning - how trusting is she of you?

Have you tried treats, treats and more treats?

Thank you so much for adopting that beauty!!

to EBN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

7. Likes ddnene liked this post
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    How long has she been with you? Other than the cleaning - how trusting is she of you?

Have you tried treats, treats and more treats?

Thank you so much for adopting that beauty!!

to EBN

She has been with me for almost 2 weeks now on a permanent basis - but I used to "borrow" her most days to take her out on trips for a couple of weeks beforehand lol �� she seems to trust me - we have a good relationship (I think!)

I've tried EVERYTHING - waiting until she is asleep, or nodding off, wearing her out completely till she is too tired to move - and plain old bribery with her favourite treats! She is a big old girl, and has amazing strength - we roll around all over the place trying to clean her lol. I'm just afraid I am going to hurt her, and I don't want to make it a distressing experience for her and make it worse for next time!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bella Chops View Post
    She has been with me for almost 2 weeks now on a permanent basis - but I used to "borrow" her most days to take her out on trips for a couple of weeks beforehand lol �� she seems to trust me - we have a good relationship (I think!)

I've tried EVERYTHING - waiting until she is asleep, or nodding off, wearing her out completely till she is too tired to move - and plain old bribery with her favourite treats! She is a big old girl, and has amazing strength - we roll around all over the place trying to clean her lol. I'm just afraid I am going to hurt her, and I don't want to make it a distressing experience for her and make it worse for next time!
    Is it possible she is thinking you are playing? If not can you make it appear like a game?

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't get too worried about the eye furrow unless she's so itchy that she's rubbing her head against the ground, walls etc. I think a fast wipe with a Duoxo or Malacetic wipe would be the best you could hope for at the beginning.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Aww... Congratulations, she is beautiful...

I know that sometimes w/my pups it takes two of us to wipe their folds. I go as fast as I can, and give out treats.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

I use the command touch. He used to be bad about ears and feet. So I would say touch, touch the area, and give him a treat at the same time. Once he was comfortable with me touch I moved to touch with a dry wipe. Then moved up to cleaning.

He is now very comfortable with me touch and doing his ears. We are still working on feet. He loves paw rubs but gets nasty with the clippers. It is a slow process but I feel the commands, treats, and massages have greatly helped.

At the vet I have found a bowl of food and holding him will keep him placid. So try different techniques to build up trust for those areas, but try first without the trauma of wipes.

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster 2013 - Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 RIP
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations on your new girl! She is lovely!

Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

It has only been two weeks. I would say to first just try petting her head gently,while she is resting. Then gradually try the side of her face. When she trusts you to do that gradually try to touch her folds. When she trust you to do that-then try with a wipe. For a dog that has not been fussed with,it can take a pretty good while. Even since mine were raised from pups-they still have a mind of their own! We get in a hurry-they are on "doggie time!" your girl is very pretty, AND very lucky to have you! @Bella Chops
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Remove Ads