Bella Chops

Mar 4, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi all, I have just adopted a gorgeous Bulldog called Bella :-)

She is a rescue, and has been used in a puppy farm, so she has quite a few issues that we are working through!

I absolutely adore her - and am working hard to understand her needs - as I realise that looking after a Bully is not the same as any other dog!

At the moment, I me having a problem with her eye furrows - she absolutely will not let me anywhere near her to clean them! Her tear stains have got quite bad and I have some eye wipes - but she literally will not let me get anywhere near her. She is BIG and ridiculously strong . Does anyone have any advice on how I can help her? 20170216_150652.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Welcome and so good to have yo here with all us bulldog loven people :) I cant wait to hear what they all have to say :) Lots of good help here, I love it ...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi all, I have just adopted a gorgeous Bulldog called Bella :-)

She is a rescue, and has been used in a puppy farm, so she has quite a few issues that we are working through!

I absolutely adore her - and am working hard to understand her needs - as I realise that looking after a Bully is not the same as any other dog!

At the moment, I me having a problem with her eye furrows - she absolutely will not let me anywhere near her to clean them! Her tear stains have got quite bad and I have some eye wipes - but she literally will not let me get anywhere near her. She is BIG and ridiculously strong . Does anyone have any advice on how I can help her? View attachment 104329

How long has she been with you? Other than the cleaning - how trusting is she of you?

Have you tried treats, treats and more treats?

Thank you so much for adopting that beauty!!

:welcome3: to EBN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bella Chops

Mar 4, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
How long has she been with you? Other than the cleaning - how trusting is she of you?

Have you tried treats, treats and more treats?

Thank you so much for adopting that beauty!!

:welcome3: to EBN

She has been with me for almost 2 weeks now on a permanent basis - but I used to "borrow" her most days to take her out on trips for a couple of weeks beforehand lol �� she seems to trust me - we have a good relationship (I think!)

I've tried EVERYTHING - waiting until she is asleep, or nodding off, wearing her out completely till she is too tired to move - and plain old bribery with her favourite treats! She is a big old girl, and has amazing strength - we roll around all over the place trying to clean her lol. I'm just afraid I am going to hurt her, and I don't want to make it a distressing experience for her and make it worse for next time!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She has been with me for almost 2 weeks now on a permanent basis - but I used to "borrow" her most days to take her out on trips for a couple of weeks beforehand lol �� she seems to trust me - we have a good relationship (I think!)

I've tried EVERYTHING - waiting until she is asleep, or nodding off, wearing her out completely till she is too tired to move - and plain old bribery with her favourite treats! She is a big old girl, and has amazing strength - we roll around all over the place trying to clean her lol. I'm just afraid I am going to hurt her, and I don't want to make it a distressing experience for her and make it worse for next time!

Is it possible she is thinking you are playing? If not can you make it appear like a game?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I wouldn't get too worried about the eye furrow unless she's so itchy that she's rubbing her head against the ground, walls etc. I think a fast wipe with a Duoxo or Malacetic wipe would be the best you could hope for at the beginning.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Aww... Congratulations, she is beautiful...

I know that sometimes w/my pups it takes two of us to wipe their folds. I go as fast as I can, and give out treats.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I use the command touch. He used to be bad about ears and feet. So I would say touch, touch the area, and give him a treat at the same time. Once he was comfortable with me touch I moved to touch with a dry wipe. Then moved up to cleaning.

He is now very comfortable with me touch and doing his ears. We are still working on feet. He loves paw rubs but gets nasty with the clippers. It is a slow process but I feel the commands, treats, and massages have greatly helped.

At the vet I have found a bowl of food and holding him will keep him placid. So try different techniques to build up trust for those areas, but try first without the trauma of wipes.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Congratulations on your new girl! She is lovely!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It has only been two weeks. I would say to first just try petting her head gently,while she is resting. Then gradually try the side of her face. When she trusts you to do that gradually try to touch her folds. When she trust you to do that-then try with a wipe. For a dog that has not been fussed with,it can take a pretty good while. Even since mine were raised from pups-they still have a mind of their own! We get in a hurry-they are on "doggie time!" :welcome2:your girl is very pretty, AND very lucky to have you! [MENTION=16923]Bella Chops[/MENTION]

Members online

No members online now.