Help with my fighting dogs

Jemajk

Jan 11, 2017
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Ivy, Marni
Hi, I'm new to this forum but at my wits end! I have 2 bulldogs and a boxer, all bitches. Laska we had first, she's 3and a half, ivy 2nd and she's just over 2, marni last and she's 2 and a half. Most of the time my dogs get on well..... Ivy went through a phase of going for Laska here and there about a year ago and it lasted a month or so, now she goes for Marni and I don't know what to do! Ivy is in charge and the other 2 are very passive. After they fight they sleep next to each other and it's like it didn't happen 🙈 They play together and in 2's but I don't know what sets ivy off. Please help!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh boy... well first of all this is extremely common in female dogs. Obviously Ivy has some issues, have you been able to figure out what her triggers are? I have a female Willow, and she's only 15 mos. old... we are having issues w/her constantly trying to boss her brother Walter around. I know what will trigger an episode from her, so I try to avoid the situation if possible. I also am getting a trainer involved, because there have been a few times that I wasn't really sure what would be the best way to stop it... sometimes she get's going and it's all night long. I have to put her in her crate...

I'm going to tag some members that are also dealing w/fighting amongst siblings... maybe they can help us both!!! Lol

OP
J

Jemajk

Jan 11, 2017
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Ivy, Marni
Thank you for your reply, we used to think she got a bit jealous but she just seems to do it randomly now. I'm worried because they draw blood... then clean each other!�� They sleep next to each other every night even though they have full roam of the house and can easily sleep separately. You'd never think ivy could be like this because she'll play nicely with marni

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Try to pay attention to what sets her off. You have to keep a very close eye on her and try to recognize her body language so when you see her going into her fight mode you can defer her. By this I mean, as soon as you see her stiffen up, ears go back, any type of growl, etc. you must immediately in a stern voice tell her NO! or I say Knock it off! If she does not immediately stop her behavior she must be separated either into another room or into her crate. She must learn she is not the boss, you are. I have this situation with my three bulldogs. Frankie and Jack are very passive and brutus is the alpha. This is ok because they all understand that I am the leader and must listen. Brutus still has his moments and I am always on high alert when they are all together. Brutus has actually learned when he is feeling out of sorts to go and sit in his crate and I will shut the door and give him the space he is asking for. Sometimes it is 10 minutes sometimes it could be a couple of hours that he wants to nap. Just last night all three were in the living room and Brutus jumped on the couch and just the idea of Jack in the same room was upsetting him. I could physically see his whole demeanor change. He became very rigid, his ears went back, he looked very nervous and let out a very low growl. I immediately put Jack in the kitchen and sent Brutus to his crate for a time out telling him he was not allowed to growl and act like that. I swear he understands me. He stayed in for approx. 20 mins and came out fine and ready to accept Jack in the mix. The key is to never allow the aggressive behavior to happen. It is a pain, but you really have to have eyes on them 24/7 if this type of behavior is happening. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Try to pay attention to what sets her off. You have to keep a very close eye on her and try to recognize her body language so when you see her going into her fight mode you can defer her. By this I mean, as soon as you see her stiffen up, ears go back, any type of growl, etc. you must immediately in a stern voice tell her NO! or I say Knock it off! If she does not immediately stop her behavior she must be separated either into another room or into her crate. She must learn she is not the boss, you are. I have this situation with my three bulldogs. Frankie and Jack are very passive and brutus is the alpha. This is ok because they all understand that I am the leader and must listen. Brutus still has his moments and I am always on high alert when they are all together. Brutus has actually learned when he is feeling out of sorts to go and sit in his crate and I will shut the door and give him the space he is asking for. Sometimes it is 10 minutes sometimes it could be a couple of hours that he wants to nap. Just last night all three were in the living room and Brutus jumped on the couch and just the idea of Jack in the same room was upsetting him. I could physically see his whole demeanor change. He became very rigid, his ears went back, he looked very nervous and let out a very low growl. I immediately put Jack in the kitchen and sent Brutus to his crate for a time out telling him he was not allowed to growl and act like that. I swear he understands me. He stayed in for approx. 20 mins and came out fine and ready to accept Jack in the mix. The key is to never allow the aggressive behavior to happen. It is a pain, but you really have to have eyes on them 24/7 if this type of behavior is happening. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

great post!!

Also, try using the training tool... nothing in life is free, it might help get them to know you are the alpha and make sure all humans in the house use the tool as it is very important that you all follow the same commands, rules and limitations so the dogs stay consistent. they will know where the weak link is and take advantage of that opening.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.