new bully dad

Bailey McCandless

Feb 24, 2011
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Blake, Bentley, Brittany
blake 5.jpgHi I have always dreamed of owning an english bulldog and 2 weeks ago it finally came true. Now the reality of having a puppy in the house has set in. I am having a hard time keeping him from chewing on everything (us included). I would really appreciate some feedback . Thanks

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
First, Welcome to the site. This is a wonderful place to ask all your questions and caution.....it can become addictive. You baby is so darn adorable, we will be expecting a whole lot more in photos.
Both my bullies chewed on everything, just look at our kitchen chair legs. Now remember it is while they are teething. Make sure you have tons of toys to chew on. Nyla bones are awesome and come in flavors, which is the only way Bella would chew on them. Just please stay away from rawhide, it can be very dangerous for bullies. There are Kong toys that allow you to hide a treat in them and it will last a long time. Just being very diligent and watching over him, saying NO forcefully. He needs to know you are the Alpha in the pack. Good luck

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Welcome! I can't suggest more than Leslie already did. Lots of chew options. He's a cutie! Looking forward to more pics!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Blake is adorable! How well I remember those razor sharp baby teeth! Like [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] said, have plenty of chew toys and when you catch him chewing on furniture tell him no and give him a toy to chew on. We have always given our puppies the largest size nylabone because they won't outgrow it and usually we have had an older dog that could swallow the small size. Welcome!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Heres what I did, cause mine are sharks. When they are chewing or biting something they arent supposed to, I would pull on their collar not too hard and say Uh Uh. Now they are getting it. It keeps them away from the grandbaby and my feet. lol

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not much help here since my boy was older when I got him but welcome!!! Any questions you have just ask away, one way or another we have someone who can usually give good feedback. Also you can do a search at the top right of the forum for anything you may want to look up in the meantime. your pup looks adorable, cant wait to see more pics!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What a cutie!!! Welcome!

It will take time, frozen treats help too, lots of saying NO. The Bitter Apple at petsmart works pretty good, make sure you put a single squirt in the side of his gums so he will KNOW to get the heck away from anything sprayed with it. Clove oil works well too, but stinks to high heaven!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
And OVER react when he bites you... whine, cry, make a big deal of the fact that he hurt you.
And WELCOME to EBN..... more pix please :)

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Agreed with all of the above. This is a hard time for your puppy and also you. Teething hurts them and all they think about is how to stop the discomfort. Get the Nyla bones, get the kongs and be firm also and set the rules. This stage will not:hug: last long!!

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Welcome! Agreed on all of the above! We have a 4 month old and she is quite the biter..she isn't as bad as she was..just be consistent and pray they outgrow it ! :pray:

patricia

Apr 8, 2011
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Kairos
Hi!!!! A bullie puppy :luv:
when I got mine someone suggested to get lim lots of toys to avoid that!!! I got him around 12 toys - different shapes, textures and I would buy him strong baby teething toys - this would help him scratch his "ithcy" gums... I would also buy him the dog "bones" that are long (to avoid chocking) and made from raw hide -that would help a lot.
When he bites you the overreacting and a FIRM NO! should teach him.
After the first year they mature a lot and regardless of what "Statistics" say about their intelligence - they are VERY intelligent and trainable!!!
Enjoy your puppy ,they grow fast!!!!:up:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome..our Jake is 4 months old now and we were just remarking..how much better Jake is with biting..he licks us to death now..which I love. Just be firm and consistent. They figure it out. Your pup is beautiful..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.