Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but do not have an EB yet. I am hoping to get one next year, ideally in May/June. I do have a French Bulldog that will be 4 in April. Jax (the Frenchie) has many environmental allergies as well as some food issues. He currently gets a daily Apoquel and biweekly allergy shots. Other than his allergies, he has been fairly healthy.

While I am familiar with the potential issues bulldogs can have, is there anything different with an EB than a Frenchie I should know about? I had someone tell me that an EB would be more work than a Frenchie...is that true? If so, why?

I have found a couple potential breeders in my area but am wondering what specific questions I can ask. I know I want a red and white and I prefer a male but am not totally against a female. I have seen some males weighing 60+ pounds which seems like a lot. I am not necessarily looking for one of these "giant" dogs so is there a good question to ask about a breeders average size puppy?

Any information is greatly appreciated and hopefully I will be able to share pictures of a new puppy in the near future!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
:welcome: Hi there! So glad you found this forum…I tagged one of the best members for your questions, she owns both an EBD and a FBD and is so helpful and insightful!!

Looking forward to pictures and e-meeting your new addition!! Welcome "home" !!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey Citty!! So good you joined. EBN... this gang will give great info for you!
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=3123]agingermom[/MENTION] [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

I am tagging some members with breeding experience and a few others that live in Seattle area.

You can PM them to see if they have any insight in the breeders you are looking at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but do not have an EB yet. I am hoping to get one next year, ideally in May/June. I do have a French Bulldog that will be 4 in April. Jax (the Frenchie) has many environmental allergies as well as some food issues. He currently gets a daily Apoquel and biweekly allergy shots. Other than his allergies, he has been fairly healthy.

While I am familiar with the potential issues bulldogs can have, is there anything different with an EB than a Frenchie I should know about? I had someone tell me that an EB would be more work than a Frenchie...is that true? If so, why?

I have found a couple potential breeders in my area but am wondering what specific questions I can ask. I know I want a red and white and I prefer a male but am not totally against a female. I have seen some males weighing 60+ pounds which seems like a lot. I am not necessarily looking for one of these "giant" dogs so is there a good question to ask about a breeders average size puppy?

Any information is greatly appreciated and hopefully I will be able to share pictures of a new puppy in the near future!

Hi! How exciting about getting a new bullie pup. I have both frenchies and English and I would tell you my frenchie is a lot more work because of the energy difference. My Petey is more destructive and has endless energy, while Bertha and Arnold just lay around usually. Arnold, my big 5.5 y/o English male, weighs about 65-70 pounds especially after being neutered. His parents were big, (his mom almost looked like a male) so I would definitely ask about genetics and check out both parents. Good luck!!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi! How exciting about getting a new bullie pup. I have both frenchies and English and I would tell you my frenchie is a lot more work because of the energy difference. My Petey is more destructive and has endless energy, while Bertha and Arnold just lay around usually. Arnold, my big 5.5 y/o English male, weighs about 65-70 pounds especially after being neutered. His parents were big, (his mom almost looked like a male) so I would definitely ask about genetics and check out both parents. Good luck!!

Jax can be lazy but he can also have a lot of energy and run around the living room with the zoomies. I try to send him to daycare at least once a week so he can play and get all of his energy out.

For size then, I should focus on the size of the parents? So "big" parents will produce "big" puppies? I read that for a male EB the average size is 50-55 pounds. Are they at any more of a health risk when they are in the 60+ pound range?

I see you are in Washington, I am too. Can I PM you about the breeder you got your EB's from? I found a couple potential breeders so I am curious if you know of any of them.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Jax can be lazy but he can also have a lot of energy and run around the living room with the zoomies. I try to send him to daycare at least once a week so he can play and get all of his energy out.

For size then, I should focus on the size of the parents? So "big" parents will produce "big" puppies? I read that for a male EB the average size is 50-55 pounds. Are they at any more of a health risk when they are in the 60+ pound range?

I see you are in Washington, I am too. Can I PM you about the breeder you got your EB's from? I found a couple potential breeders so I am curious if you know of any of them.

I think the larger size would depend on the whole frame. Arnold is taller so carries his weight, mostly muscle, well. However, a shorter larger male may have the possibility of more health problems. I would think the genetics of dogs is similar to that of people. I would focus on parent's genetics such as allergies, respiratory, cardiac and musculoskeletal problems. And sure you can PM me and will help you if I can or ask a friend in Seattle area

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Another question if anyone can answer...if both the sire and dam are brindle, does that mean all puppies will be brindle or is it possible for 2 brindles to have some red and whites puppies? One of the breeders I am looking at is planning on breeding and having a litter around the time I want to get one but I was looking at pictures of the mom and the potential stud, and they are brindle. I have my heart set on a red and white. The breeder also said she wasn't 100% sure who the dam would be bred with so it might change.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Another question if anyone can answer...if both the sire and dam are brindle, does that mean all puppies will be brindle or is it possible for 2 brindles to have some red and whites puppies? One of the breeders I am looking at is planning on breeding and having a litter around the time I want to get one but I was looking at pictures of the mom and the potential stud, and they are brindle. I have my heart set on a red and white. The breeder also said she wasn't 100% sure who the dam would be bred with so it might change.

I don't believe that matters.... Lambeau cane from a brindle mom and a white/brindle dad and he is red/white.

Our first boy was also red/white and his mom was fawn can't remember Dad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site. English and Frenchies are very similar, and if you get a well bred one, they are no harder to care for. Good luck with your search for a good breeder. Let us know if we can help.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.