Queenpatti69

Nov 27, 2016
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper
Hi everyone. I'm very new to forums so am learning as I go along. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with a bulldog with an ingrowing tail? We got pepper a few weeks ago and were told that she was born with no tail so she couldn't be used to breed from (which wasn't a problem as we were just wanting a companion dog) when we took her to our vets we were told that she was born with a tail but it is growing inside her and she may need a big operation if she has any problems with it. She is a pedigree old English bulldog and is healthy and happy with no issues (other than having to clean her when she goes to the toilet. Anybody else had experience of this?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

We had to have Lambeau removed because it was turning in (growing into him). He was getting infection and was not going to stop happening so at 8 mths we had it removed. Recovery is about 10 days, stitches out in 14 days and fur growth takes about 6 mths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Q

Queenpatti69

Nov 27, 2016
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper
:welcome3: to EBN!

We had to have Lambeau removed because it was turning in (growing into him). He was getting infection and was not going to stop happening so at 8 mths we had it removed. Recovery is about 10 days, stitches out in 14 days and fur growth takes about 6 mths.

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me if your pup had a tail to start with because the breeder said she was born without one and has your dog had any issues since the operation?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We had one like Christine's [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] where the tail was growing back in, but they had a tail on the outside. Yours if I understand is inside the skin? I haven't heard of one, but as long as your bully has no issue with it, I wouldn't worry about it. You will be able to tell if your bully has a problem or pain with it, then you will need to have it surgically removed. I would only let a good bully vet do the surgery if it were me. Hopefully you can find a good vet who specializes in bulldogs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me if your pup had a tail to start with because the breeder said she was born without one and has your dog had any issues since the operation?

Yes, Lambeau had a tail. obsoletely no issues since surgery. If tail is inside, why is vet wanting to remove, what is the potential issue?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=16581]Queenpatti69[/MENTION] Jewel had a "corkscrew tail" and a very deep tail pocket. Her tail pocket would get infected 2-3 times a year that required vet intervention. When she was evaluated and diagnosed with here first ACL tear, the surgeon mentioned to have her tail amputated because she would be under anesthesia. We did not hesitate and said yes to that as well as having her soft palate shortened.

Since her surgery, she has not had any issues related to her surgeries, especially having to constantly maintain her tail pocket.

I hope this helps.

Are you related to the queen?

OP
Q

Queenpatti69

Nov 27, 2016
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper
Aww thank you all for your replies. I think it may be like jewel as there is no stump or sign of a tail so must be like that with a deep pocket cos the vet said they are prone to infection but he did say some are ok and are best left alone. But my mind has been put at rest knowing yours were all OK after surgery. Unfortunately I am not related to the Queen lol x

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Aww thank you all for your replies. I think it may be like jewel as there is no stump or sign of a tail so must be like that with a deep pocket cos the vet said they are prone to infection but he did say some are ok and are best left alone. But my mind has been put at rest knowing yours were all OK after surgery. Unfortunately I am not related to the Queen lol x

Glad to help.

Also glad you're not related because I would probably have someone from MI-8 coming after me for speaking to royalty through this website. :w00t:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:smileywelcome: Mabel has a very short tail that is completely inside her tail pocket. I use an antibiotic wipe to clean out the tail pocket occasionally. We are fortunate that she doesn't have problems with it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online