Bullybelly

Nov 19, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Im so excited to have joined! I've been on the hunt to add a bully to my family for the past year or so. I would love people's input on the adoption/buying/raising process.

It has been a dream of mine to have, love, and raise an english bulldog since i can remember. I have two young daughters who caught me a couple of months ago while on the internet looking for the perfect pup.

At first, i was strictly looking at rescues and shelters. In doing so, i found that most of the adoptable bullys i came across, did not do well with small children, cats, and other dogs (i have all of the above). So, i started looking at breeders and pups. They are expensive! I know that one reason for this is the expectation that they will have less health problems in the future. I've even started a go fund me campaign to try and raise money to be able to give this gift to my daughters, and i can't even begin to express how excited they (and i) are!

Anyways, thanks for reading!

Diana

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

I'v attached three articles that might help you get prepared for the process. However, the expense of the purchase is the cheaper part of the deal... Bulldogs are expensive due to how they are bred, they are artifically inseminate and require a c-section (some case there is natural birth, but it is dangerous) both are extermely expensive and they care is 24/7 for the first few weeks of life. The life time costs can be pretty heafty depending on how good of a breeder you find, but even the best may have health issues or heck even a curious pup can bring unexpected bills due to eating something they should not, slipping and tearing an ACL or having arthitis at some stage which will need daily med, threaphy etc.

Also, most bullies have allergies to something even everything.... chicken, grains, trees, grass, etc, etc. I am not trying to be negative nellie, but if you are in need of 'go fund me' to buy your new family member, an EB may not be the right breed for you. We have two currently, but no skin kids to care for in order to stay stable with the bills and we have an emergency credit card that is ONLY for the vet bills for our babies. many have Pet Insurance, which is great but for an EB it will be about $75 to $100 a month ofr that, I think -- some will chime in with what they pay.

Our girl, Banks, who past two years ago had arthitis in her spine so from the age of 2 to 9 years, when she past, her monthly vet bills were about $400.00 -- 3 different pills, laser theraphy treatments and various other treatments in betweeen. She also had two surgeries for eating something she should not have... stone in the yard :facepalm:. Another unexpected costs for her at around age 1.5 yr. she needed to have extra skin removed from her vulva which was casuing constant UTI and bladder infections... each of those was roughly 1500.00. She was allergic to chicken and salmon which caused her to break out in massive hives...so special food which ran about $100.00 a month, then we were at the ER with her twice becasue she ate a housefly, which she was allergic too -- that was fun and a $500.00 bill for 2 hours of waiting and one needle.

Again, not trying to be a negative nellie and I love that you are doing your research, but like I said in my opening sentence, the purchase price is the cheap part. The life time care is really where the costs can mount. Now, yes, you could get lucky and have a bully (or any dog really) that doesnot need much other than the yearly exam and their vaccines, which we all hope for when we get a new puppy.

Happy reading and ask away any question you might have ... we are all her to help and give information to assit in making the right decision for you and your family.

Best of luck!

English Bulldog News Forums - Is an English Bulldog the Right Breed for You?

English Bulldog News Forums - Welcoming Home Your New English Bulldog Puppy

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog Puppy Buying Tips

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
The cheapest part of owning a bulldog is the initial cost. These babies are extremely high maintenance! They are prone to genetic disorders that can cost thousands and thousands of dollars. You really have to have disposable income to have one of these dogs. Even the type of food you buy can either make your life miserable or joyful. Between allergies and gas, finding the right food is important. Usually it will end up being a 4 or 5 star food running anywhere from 60 to 80 dollars a bag. The reason there are so many rescues with bulldogs is because people aren't prepared for the high cost in vet care these cutie pies can run up. I know the thought of owning a bulldog is a dream come true, but please check out the posts and articles on the site to see what kind of issues they have. Very rarely do you come across a bulldog that hasn't suffered some sort of crisis. From something as minor as seasonal allergies to something as huge as needing both ACLs repaired.

If you do end up getting one.. be prepared to fall head over heels in love. They are just like children with their antics and naughtiness.

Good luck!

I bought my male bulldog from a good breeder in Oregon. His dad was the number one show dog in Brazil and has sired many many many litters. Even though both lines were health checked several generations back, Vegas started having seizures when he was only 10 months old. I didn't have insurance on him.... and he has cost me over 20 grand in vet care in the last 9 years. It's not inherited, it's simply idiopathic epilepsy. No know cause. I wouldn't change a single thing about my experience with him for anything (actually.... I would have gotten him insured right away) Currently I pay over 150.00 a month for both my bulldogs and they don't even cover anything epilepsy related.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello Diane. WELCOME to EBN. The only advice I can give you, is "read" all you can in here BEFORE you go out and buy a bully. In your post you said : "I've even started a go fund me campaign." A bully can be expensive for sure and yet, you can fall on one that has no issues. Having 2 young daughters as you put it, just there it's expensive. Just read as much as you can on this site. You waited years so im sure a couple more months wont change much in your life. But heh, you'll be more knowledgeable on bullies though! :yes:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
As stated above the initial cost is the cheapest.

I myself had always wanted a EBD and was not in the position to afford to buy one let alone keep one, then as my financial situation got better and I knew I could afford to go to the vets a drop of a hat and buy decent food then I bought one. In my oppinion if you cant afford to buy one you cant afford to have one.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
PLEASE DO READ UP ON BULLDOGS BEFORE YOU GET ONE. I DID ALL KIND OF RESEARCH ON BULLDOGS BEFORE I GOT MY ELMO. THEIR ALOT OF MAINTENCE, BUT IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT BULLDOGS ARE WORTH IT. I AM STILL LEARNING ALOT THROUGH EBN ON CERTAIN THINGS ABOUT BULLDOGS, YEA AND THANK GOD FOR EBN. ALL OF THESE WONDERFUL PEOPLE AND THEIR WONDERFUL BULLIES HAVE REALLY HELPED ME OUT IN ALOT OF DIFFERENT WAYS. ME AND MY ELMO BOY LOVE EVERYONE HERE. :hug:
sign0168.gif

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I concur with what others have stated. Do your research as bullies can be very expensive to maintain after the initial purchase. I waited over 20 years before I felt stable enough financially to take on the responsibility and I am glad I did. Even with having health insurance for my baby it still costs me a few thousand a year in vet expenses due to deductibles, monthly medicine and high quality food as she is allergic to everything but herself and I am not too sure that she isn't. Even though we got her from a reputable breeder it is still a roll of the dice when it comes to allergies and such not to mention their bullish nature which gets them in trouble on their own.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hi Diana,
My first instinct was similar to all the above (unfortunately) … I know that's probably disheartening to you - and your girls. What's written above is EXCELLENT feedback and advice (and articles, do read)…but to maybe add something positive, have you considered an American Bulldog? Their health problems are fewer than EBD (statistically) but still in the Bullie family and very adorable!
A "go fund me" would be better beneficial for last minute surgeries and unexpected medical expenses that can (and do) arise with EBD's…if you use one to buy a puppy, people would not be apt to help you when the time comes for a huger expense and then you're going to have to face the heartbreaking scenario of putting your baby to rest or giving up to a shelter (very common for owners unprepared)...

Maybe now is just not the time, but don't rule it out completely…I suggest putting away a fund now, start a Bully-Fund and once you reach at least 5 figures, your girls can help contribute too, that way they won't be so sad that you're not getting one right now, but teaching them to prepare and be responsible when the time comes to get your baby!

I know how adorable those pictures are on websites - another word of caution…BEWARE of breeders, do your research, ask and inquire ALWAYS when considering a breeder…ask about the parents, even the parents of the parents…make sure you can always contact the breeder, even years later as issues arise and you'd want a background/history...

Sorry to chime in w/the rest and rain on the parade, I hope I gave you some optimistic alternatives though…and you picked an AWESOME community to get started in your research - the best one I've seen!! Hope to still see you on here researching and feel free to ask any and all kinds of questions :heart:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Welcome to EBN! I have nothing to add that others haven't already said. Just bear in mind that the initial cost of the bulldog will be a minor expense in the long run. I've heard that olde English bulldogs have fewer problems--but they're a larger breed.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.