New member with questions about a special Bulldog

Dave A

Oct 30, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Star
Have you ever heard of or seen a hairless English Bulldog? We recently had a litter of four. Three of the puppies are normal with varied white and brown coats. However, the fourth puppy is a hairless female and the skin is mainly black. I will attach a picture.

hairless puppy.jpg

We have never heard of a hairless Bulldog puppy before and a search on the internet comes up empty. So, I am reaching out to people who have a lot of experience with Bulldogs in order to gather some information.

If you know of other hairless Bulldogs, did they live a normal life?

Will AKC register this dog once it is old enough?

Do you think the dog is sellable?

If AKC will register the dog, do you think it would be a good idea to breed her and attempt to reproduce the abnormality?

Any info you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I've never heard of hairless bulldogs. Regarding registration, if the parents are purebred, registered English bulldogs, she can be registered too, I think. Pups are registered on basis of their parents, so the registration as such is not a sign of quality but of lineage.

Although I have no idea as to the health status of a hairless bulldog, the idea of breeding in order to reproduce abnormality is definitely against the idea of responsible breeding. Please take care of your little pup and sell her to someone who will love her and care for her but don't try to make money on her by breeding her. English bulldogs need to become a healthier breed and all breeding that doesn't have that aim is, I'm afraid, bad breeding.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I also have never heard of a hairless bulldog. IF hairlessness is the only abnormality this puppy has there is no reason for a normal life. There are breeds where it is normal. It just has to be taken in to account. For one she needs clothing and sun screen cause of her skin. Very seldom these abnormalities come alone and there can be something else wrong with the pup too. Has she been seen by a vet? I'm with cefe13 100% with the fact that she should not be bred in any circumstances!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Never heard of a hairless bulldog... I just have to ask... there's no chance of her having a different father than the rest? Bitches can get pregnant from multiple males.

Personally I would take her to a good bulldog vet and have her checked out properly. I would sell her to someone who'll truly love and care for her and put her well-being first. My opinion is absolutely no breeding, bulldogs have enough health issues as it is. Carrying abnormalities forward is irresponsible, I'd sign a contract when selling her that she can not be used for breeding.

She looks very cute, I hope she'll turn out to be a healthy lill pup when growing up <3

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I definitely agree with the others-do not breed this dog! If she has no other problems, it will be luck. If you sell her, have a contract that she MUST be spayed by a certain age,and keep a check on it. If she were mine,I would keep her to make sure no one would be tempted to breed her!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Totally agree with Manydogs. Do not sell her. If her hair does not grow she will need special care and I wouldn't trust anyone else with that responsibility.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
If I were you I would keep her, no one can love her the way you do, or take care of her the way you do. She is Precious.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So precious... i also never heard or seen this.
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have never heard of this, and sounds like your breeding stock has a bad gene somewhere, and before I bred again I would find out where it came from, either the sire or dam. That being say, I would NOT breed the hairless dog, or sell it. AKC will not register it if they find out it is hair less. If you are going to breed, be a responsible breeder and try to better the breed and don't breed for money. Meaning if you have a bad gene, don't breed it, period. I would keep the pup, or at least find a good home for it, someone you know for a fact that will give it a good home regardless of the health issues it will have later on. Too many bullies end up in shelters or dead, because of bad breeding.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
They have hairless cats and they live normal lifes. Yes I know its a dog but I dont see why it wouldn't live like a normal bulldog.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Have you ever heard of or seen a hairless English Bulldog? We recently had a litter of four. Three of the puppies are normal with varied white and brown coats. However, the fourth puppy is a hairless female and the skin is mainly black. I will attach a picture.

View attachment 102004

We have never heard of a hairless Bulldog puppy before and a search on the internet comes up empty. So, I am reaching out to people who have a lot of experience with Bulldogs in order to gather some information.

If you know of other hairless Bulldogs, did they live a normal life?

Will AKC register this dog once it is old enough?

Do you think the dog is sellable?

If AKC will register the dog, do you think it would be a good idea to breed her and attempt to reproduce the abnormality?

Any info you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with the above posters on all opinions, but am very curious to see how she is doing in the future. I know we don't recommend breeding but.... I (personally) would love to have a hairless bulldog, so I'm sure you can find her an adopting family no problem.... and hopefully she does not have any other problems--- definitely take her to the vet and see if there is any blood tests that can be done that cause her hair not to grow and completely check her from head to toe to make sure she's perfect otherwise.

OP
D

Dave A

Oct 30, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Star
Thanks for all of the input. Yes we are sure of the bloodline. The stud is from Boos Bulldog Farm in Michigan which we have been using for years. All of their dogs are DNA tested.
Because of her uniqueness, we have been getting her checked out every other week. All tests show normal. We use Wilson's veterinary hospital in Romeo MI. He specializes in Bulldogs.
I agree with the opinions on not breeding her.
I do need to sell her. My sister has fallen on hard times and I am supporting her until she can get her kennel back in operation. So, I need to sell this little girl for the revenue.
That said, where would you suggest I advertise her to improve our chances of getting the best price for her?

Again, thanks for the input.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What about your vet office so you get the right buyers. I use to breed n sell Dobermans. Yes of course not tbe same but when I would get a tiny pup out of the bunch, was the hardest thing to sell. Coming from the same litter the buyer that buys your pup it's cause it's hairless and probably will use it to breed for sure. I know you want to sell it for revenues but you are risking selling it to that kind of buyer. Either you keep it till you get it spayed and then put puppy for sell. Like that you will be guaranteed puppy wouldn't be uses as a puppy machine. I know that's what I would do. My 2 cents.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with not selling till you can have her spay to ensure she is not bred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dave A

Oct 30, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Star
The latest puppy picture.Hairless.jpg

Most Reactions