Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member with questions about a special Bulldog

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Star
    Likes (Received)

Default New member with questions about a special Bulldog

Have you ever heard of or seen a hairless English Bulldog? We recently had a litter of four. Three of the puppies are normal with varied white and brown coats. However, the fourth puppy is a hairless female and the skin is mainly black. I will attach a picture.

-hairless-puppy-jpg

We have never heard of a hairless Bulldog puppy before and a search on the internet comes up empty. So, I am reaching out to people who have a lot of experience with Bulldogs in order to gather some information.

If you know of other hairless Bulldogs, did they live a normal life?

Will AKC register this dog once it is old enough?

Do you think the dog is sellable?

If AKC will register the dog, do you think it would be a good idea to breed her and attempt to reproduce the abnormality?

Any info you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New member with questions about a special Bulldog

I've never heard of hairless bulldogs. Regarding registration, if the parents are purebred, registered English bulldogs, she can be registered too, I think. Pups are registered on basis of their parents, so the registration as such is not a sign of quality but of lineage.

Although I have no idea as to the health status of a hairless bulldog, the idea of breeding in order to reproduce abnormality is definitely against the idea of responsible breeding. Please take care of your little pup and sell her to someone who will love her and care for her but don't try to make money on her by breeding her. English bulldogs need to become a healthier breed and all breeding that doesn't have that aim is, I'm afraid, bad breeding.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

3. Likes RiiSi liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I also have never heard of a hairless bulldog. IF hairlessness is the only abnormality this puppy has there is no reason for a normal life. There are breeds where it is normal. It just has to be taken in to account. For one she needs clothing and sun screen cause of her skin. Very seldom these abnormalities come alone and there can be something else wrong with the pup too. Has she been seen by a vet? I'm with cefe13 100% with the fact that she should not be bred in any circumstances!

5. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Never heard of a hairless bulldog... I just have to ask... there's no chance of her having a different father than the rest? Bitches can get pregnant from multiple males.

Personally I would take her to a good bulldog vet and have her checked out properly. I would sell her to someone who'll truly love and care for her and put her well-being first. My opinion is absolutely no breeding, bulldogs have enough health issues as it is. Carrying abnormalities forward is irresponsible, I'd sign a contract when selling her that she can not be used for breeding.

She looks very cute, I hope she'll turn out to be a healthy lill pup when growing up <3
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

7. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I definitely agree with the others-do not breed this dog! If she has no other problems, it will be luck. If you sell her, have a contract that she MUST be spayed by a certain age,and keep a check on it. If she were mine,I would keep her to make sure no one would be tempted to breed her!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

9. Likes RiiSi, cefe13, 1Chumly, ChrisRN, boomsboo liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Totally agree with Manydogs. Do not sell her. If her hair does not grow she will need special care and I wouldn't trust anyone else with that responsibility.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

If I were you I would keep her, no one can love her the way you do, or take care of her the way you do. She is Precious.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

So precious... i also never heard or seen this.
    @Davidh @bullmama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I have never heard of this, and sounds like your breeding stock has a bad gene somewhere, and before I bred again I would find out where it came from, either the sire or dam. That being say, I would NOT breed the hairless dog, or sell it. AKC will not register it if they find out it is hair less. If you are going to breed, be a responsible breeder and try to better the breed and don't breed for money. Meaning if you have a bad gene, don't breed it, period. I would keep the pup, or at least find a good home for it, someone you know for a fact that will give it a good home regardless of the health issues it will have later on. Too many bullies end up in shelters or dead, because of bad breeding.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

14. Likes 1Chumly, ChrisRN liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

They have hairless cats and they live normal lifes. Yes I know its a dog but I dont see why it wouldn't live like a normal bulldog.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Have you ever heard of or seen a hairless English Bulldog? We recently had a litter of four. Three of the puppies are normal with varied white and brown coats. However, the fourth puppy is a hairless female and the skin is mainly black. I will attach a picture.

-hairless-puppy-jpg

We have never heard of a hairless Bulldog puppy before and a search on the internet comes up empty. So, I am reaching out to people who have a lot of experience with Bulldogs in order to gather some information.

If you know of other hairless Bulldogs, did they live a normal life?

Will AKC register this dog once it is old enough?

Do you think the dog is sellable?

If AKC will register the dog, do you think it would be a good idea to breed her and attempt to reproduce the abnormality?

Any info you can give us would be greatly appreciated.
    I agree with the above posters on all opinions, but am very curious to see how she is doing in the future. I know we don't recommend breeding but.... I (personally) would love to have a hairless bulldog, so I'm sure you can find her an adopting family no problem.... and hopefully she does not have any other problems--- definitely take her to the vet and see if there is any blood tests that can be done that cause her hair not to grow and completely check her from head to toe to make sure she's perfect otherwise.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Star
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all of the input. Yes we are sure of the bloodline. The stud is from Boos Bulldog Farm in Michigan which we have been using for years. All of their dogs are DNA tested.
    Because of her uniqueness, we have been getting her checked out every other week. All tests show normal. We use Wilson's veterinary hospital in Romeo MI. He specializes in Bulldogs.
    I agree with the opinions on not breeding her.
    I do need to sell her. My sister has fallen on hard times and I am supporting her until she can get her kennel back in operation. So, I need to sell this little girl for the revenue.
    That said, where would you suggest I advertise her to improve our chances of getting the best price for her?

Again, thanks for the input.
    https://youtu.be/1VtDOw37_nc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads