Normanspeanut

Oct 28, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I had trouble trying to post a picture-I think I got it to work under attachments. Anyways, I'm new to English Bulldogs…Zoey came from a breeder that used her for years as a puppy making machine. I'm not sure what kind of life she had but I don't think it was very good. The breeder didn't want me to come to the home to pick her up and preferred that we meet somewhere else. When we got her she had two ear infections and a bad yeast infection…and was very very smelly.They didn't have any vet records to pass along either. We thought she was deaf at first because she didn't respond to her name or anything really. She knew no commands and basically just kept to herself. She would "mark" on various things, especially on the new bed we got her. We got her spayed right away and this seems to have helped, but she continues to pee on whatever she sleeps on. We've had her for a little over a month now and she has come a long way. She has started responding to her name, so we are guessing she isn't deaf she probably just never had anybody call her name before. She also seems to love affection…she follows me from room to room and wants to be pet all of the time. She's very gentle and loving….but stubborn. We've been working with her for weeks on the command "sit" and she still doesn't seem to get it. She doesn't like to go outside, so we have to kind of pull her on a leash and reward her like crazy when she goes.She prefers to lay by my feet snoring loudly…passing gas on a regular basis…and looking cute. So a couple of questions since I'm new to the breed: does anyone else have a EG that licks their front feet a lot, drools excessively about once a week for a few hours, likes to sleep in their own urine(I was taking her out at about 1 am for a while but she still would pee on whatever she slept on-it seems more like a comfort thing), rams other dogs with their head but otherwise seems happy to be around them….I think thats it. Oh, also she doesn't seem to know what a toy is or how to play at all and I can only take her for about a block up the road on a walk before she starts making very unnatural sounds so we turn around-i'm not sure how to entertain her or keep her occupied, she seems bored just following me around but she has crates full of toys that she doesn't touch. She doesn't bark or whine…she's very laid back but doesn't like being left in a room by herself and will scratch at the door when i'm in the bathroom. Anyways, thats Zoey…. I'm glad I found this site and look forward to any advice you have to give!

Attachments

• DSC_1088.JPG
    DSC_1088.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 147

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww she's Beautiful. It's so great that you rescued her, and I'm sure that with time and patience, she will come around.
Everything is still new to her, and she is probably not used to having an owner who cares and loves her, or one that treats her as a family member rather than a baby machine for profit. She will come around once she gets used to her new home, and she learns to love and trust you.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ahhh now we see the beautiful Zoey. Like we all mentioned to you in your other post, give her time. You will need to re-train her from the start. From what you said she was used as a puppy machine. She has NO clue what affection is, no toys as she probably didn't have any, pee on herself and more. She is starting to open up to you. She follows you everywhere and wants to be pet. You guys are doing a great job! Keep doing whatever you are doing as its working! Get up at night 2x and put her out. Yes I know it sucks. Re-train her and you will see she will make the link she has to go outside. Keep walking her around the block. She was probably in a cage 24/7 why explains for her peeing and her out of breath. Keep walking don't give up! Zoey will come around faster than you think. She just doesn't know how. That's why you great new owners are there for. To teach her as she finally has a real family! :2thumbs: :goodjob:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:welcome2: Your Zoey is BEAUTIFUL and sounds very much like my Mabel, who was also rescued from a breeder who had no use for her when she became dog-aggressive. As for licking the paws and drooling, it might be the food she is eating. Mabel has done both and occasionally licks her paws--I think it's a nervous habit for her.

Mabel has so many of the behaviors you describe, including peeing on her bed. My guess is, that these dogs had no choice but to sleep in their own urine and don't know the difference. It has taken time, but Mabel doesn't do it often. We purchased only beds that can be completely thrown in the washing machine--stuffing and all. We've gone through quite a lot of them, placing a large trash bag under them to keep the floors from being ruined. She still does it occasionally--at 4am this morning, in fact.

Mabel also doesn't always come when we call her (we thought she was deaf too), doesn't play with toys, and doesn't bark. And walking on a leash is out of the question. She walks for about 10 feet and then refuses to budge. After almost 4 years with her, she has made progress, but we don't expect her to be what we would consider a normal, healthy dog. That being said, I wouldn't trade her for anything! She shows us in so many ways that she loves us. She has fans all over our city. In fact, the pizza delivery service always asks about her before they take our order. She's a happy little dog and is living a life she never imagined, as, I imagine, is your Zoey.

So, thank you for rescuing Zoey! :heart: While it won't always be pleasant for you (like us cleaning up urine and an overflowing washing machine this morning at 4:30 am :cursing:), the reward of the unconditional love of a rescued bulldog will warm your heart in a way nothing else can.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
:welcome2: Your Zoey is BEAUTIFUL and sounds very much like my Mabel, who was also rescued from a breeder who had no use for her when she became dog-aggressive. As for licking the paws and drooling, it might be the food she is eating. Mabel has done both and occasionally licks her paws--I think it's a nervous habit for her.

Mabel has so many of the behaviors you describe, including peeing on her bed. My guess is, that these dogs had no choice but to sleep in their own urine and don't know the difference. It has taken time, but Mabel doesn't do it often. We purchased only beds that can be completely thrown in the washing machine--stuffing and all. We've gone through quite a lot of them, placing a large trash bag under them to keep the floors from being ruined. She still does it occasionally--at 4am this morning, in fact.

Mabel also doesn't always come when we call her (we thought she was deaf too), doesn't play with toys, and doesn't bark. And walking on a leash is out of the question. She walks for about 10 feet and then refuses to budge. After almost 4 years with her, she has made progress, but we don't expect her to be what we would consider a normal, healthy dog. That being said, I wouldn't trade her for anything! She shows us in so many ways that she loves us. She has fans all over our city. In fact, the pizza delivery service always asks about her before they take our order. She's a happy little dog and is living a life she never imagined, as, I imagine, is your Zoey.

So, thank you for rescuing Zoey! :heart: While it won't always be pleasant for you (like us cleaning up urine and an overflowing washing machine this morning at 4:30 am :cursing:), the reward of the unconditional love of a rescued bulldog will warm your heart in a way nothing else can.

Awwwwwwwa ALL you rescuers are DA BEST!!!! :angelheart: :judges:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

:goodpost: :heartsign:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
She's beautiful - a great photo!

I have no experience of rescues and you've got such great advice from the others, but one thing that might help on walks if you need to pull is to use a harness instead of a collar. Less strain on her neck and easier to life/move her when needed. As far beds, I think a simple plastic basket bed and several fleece blankets works well because it's so easy to wash. We had some bedwetting when Castor was a pup and it was very convenient just to remove the blankets, wipe the basket and put in a new blanket or two.

Good luck with your beautiful girl!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Chris has given you AWESOME info ❤️❤️

thank you for giving her a chance at a new loving life.

:welcome3: to EBN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.