mikeyjm26

Sep 15, 2016
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello everyone,

We don't have a bulldog yet but are looking to add one to our family but before we do I want to make sure we have as much information as possible. We are looking at getting a grown dog instead of a puppy.

A few questions I have is are they expensive to keep ie food, vet bills etc? I know they can have a few problems but so can all dogs. What should I look for in a dog? Is insurance advisable? Would getting one that is KC registered with papers be better than one without?

I look forward to reading your responses.

Many thanks

Mikey

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would recommend insurance for your dog, as soon as you get him/her IF you can. You may face pre-existing conditions which preclude that however which is why I cancelled mine over here, also too expensive! We opted to open a pets only savings account and add to it monthly for emergencies or big ticket vet visits. Regular routine vet visits we just pay for. Bulldogs can be expensive (not always) but I think they are worth every penny and I am sure everyone on here agrees!! A vet that knows bulldogs really well is very important. Try and feed your dog the best grain free food you can get and I will rely on others from the UK to recommend foods for you.

Someone with much more knowledge than I will be along about the breeding aspect of it. We got our boy through a re-homing situation although he does have papers.

We have had many breeds over the years and have loved them all but there is something about a bulldog that is totally unique. They are such great dogs and I hope to always have one. We got our Chumly, who had a little something else mixed in, from the RSPCA and finding him was one of the best days of my life and the start of our bulldog adventures! Lots of luck in yours!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! At the top of the page you will see a HOME tab, if you click on that towards the bottom you will see several threads regarding owning an EBD. Those threads should answer most of your questions, if not please feel free to post a questions and we will help you out.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
:welcome4:

Welcome to EBN. Jewel and Bentley say hello.

As @ddnene said above there are many threads regarding bullies. I cannot speak on how things are in the UK; however, [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] above has you covered above.

My two pence worth is that bullies are a very high maintenance breed.

Please read the following: English Bulldog News Forums - Is an English Bulldog the Right Breed for You?

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog Allergies- Information, Treatment and Prevention

English Bulldog News Forums - The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

This will give you some ideas.

I wish you luck in your decision. My bullies are "family companions" as they are part of the non-working breed according to the AKC.

You are never alone here at EBN. Please peruse the website as there is much information here about the bread.

Again Welcome. --rj

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Welcome! Good for you that you are doing your research before taking the plunge.

I love my English Bulldog!!! He is the smartest, most intuitive dog that I have ever had in my life. Sometimes I joke that he trained me when he came to join the family. He was a rescue, owner - surrender at age four. We are as bonded as if I had raised him from a baby, though. He needs daily face cleaning and tail pocket washing. Now, several years ago, if someone had told me I'd be washing a dog's butt every day, I would have said, "NO WAY!" Now, it's just part of our day. He snores and grunts and does things in his own time. But I love, love, love my big marshmallow boy!!!

OP
M

mikeyjm26

Sep 15, 2016
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Wow that is a wealth of information. Great read. Thanks for the info and links.

Do you think it is fine to use a crate for a grown dog if it has never used one before?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Yes, it may take some training and adjustment though (treats will be your friend!). And never use it as punishment.

OP
M

mikeyjm26

Sep 15, 2016
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thanks for the welcome Kalyn.

Thanks 1Chumly, another thing about the crate, should you provide an area where they can go to the toilet? I'm assuming that you leave it open?

One of the problems that I find is that you read conflicting information ie regarding bathing. I have read you should wash your EBD once a week, once every 2 weeks, once every month or once every couple of weeks. They all say that doing any more can strip their skin and coat of the natural oils.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site. Do your home work on breeders before you buy. You can find some great adult bullies in rescue so please check with them. Also one that is KC registered is usually a better dog, but not always. Go to some dog shows and talk to the show breeders there, sometimes they will have a retired champion that they want to place in a loving home.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello everyone,

We don't have a bulldog yet but are looking to add one to our family but before we do I want to make sure we have as much information as possible. We are looking at getting a grown dog instead of a puppy.

A few questions I have is are they expensive to keep ie food, vet bills etc? I know they can have a few problems but so can all dogs. What should I look for in a dog? Is insurance advisable? Would getting one that is KC registered with papers be better than one without?

I look forward to reading your responses.

Many thanks

Mikey

I would have to say [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] is bang on. You can't start freaking out about owning a bully you will have to sell your house (figure of speech). It is not all bullies that will be sick like we read in here. A lot of bullies are very healthly. Just you dont read about it or it would be boring. Best thing like mentioned ask in dog shows if someone has a mom or dad for sell, or a reputable breeder that didn't over breed as that can be an issue. Dont go buy in petshops, puppy mills or/places that have a lot of dogs as you have no clue how they were raised. But you know, that's "any" dog not just bullies. If you go read in other breed forum, you will see a lot have health issues. Yes I would agree with a vet that knows bullies cause of their length of their nose/mouth. For other issues, hips, joints, skin, cherry eyes, etc etc other dogs get same problems. Cant leave your dog outside when its too hot or too cold...well its not rocket science. Food, well grain free would be my choice if you want kibbles. Raw and home cooking is better. That is if you have the time and money. If not, a good kibble is great and top it with cooked organs n broth.

You're off to a right start as you are reading and asking questions.

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Thanks for the welcome Kalyn.

One of the problems that I find is that you read conflicting information ie regarding bathing. I have read you should wash your EBD once a week, once every 2 weeks, once every month or once every couple of weeks. They all say that doing any more can strip their skin and coat of the natural oils.

You're right. There are a lot of conflicting ideas about how often to bathe our furry friends. If you'll click on the link below and scroll done to the video presented by the woman in the purple scrub top, you'll get an explanation. Although this video is about preventing/treating yeast in dogs, she addresses the conflicting information about bathing frequencies.

English Bulldog News Forums - The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

OP
M

mikeyjm26

Sep 15, 2016
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciated. I will be honest and say I really had no clue at all about EBD care. My next question is what do you do if you need your EBD looked after while you are on holiday especially with all the daily care required?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN ! The gang has you covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online