Meet Toby, my new foster Bully , and maybe owner !

TobyDad

Sep 10, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Good Morning all,

I just took Toby into foster on Monday and I had few questions.
I look forward to any tips and suggestions you may have.

Without too many details, Toby was rescued from, pretty much, total neglect. He was left chained to a tree for months with only rain water and occasional food. He has had virtually no contact for some time.

He was undernourished, so I have him on an initial diet of 1 cup kibble AM and 1 cup kibble PM with a little canned food just to moisten the kibble. He weighs about 40 pounds and seems to be about 18 mos. old. Is that enough food for him?

He is very grateful to be indoors and is a real lovey with people. However he is freaked out by other animals, especially small yappy dogs!
He has NOT been neutered yet, but I am a little concerned about this aggressive behaviour towards other dogs.

Again thanks for any suggestions or tips you may have. And thanks for this amazing resource and forum!

Toby.jpg20160910_191025 edit.jpg

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Good Morning all,

I just took Toby into foster on Monday and I had few questions.
I look forward to any tips and suggestions you may have.

Without too many details, Toby was rescued from, pretty much, total neglect. He was left chained to a tree for months with only rain water and occasional food. He has had virtually no contact for some time.

He was undernourished, so I have him on an initial diet of 1 cup kibble AM and 1 cup kibble PM with a little canned food just to moisten the kibble. He weighs about 40 pounds and seems to be about 18 mos. old. Is that enough food for him?

He is very grateful to be indoors and is a real lovey with people. However he is freaked out by other animals, especially small yappy dogs!
He has NOT been neutered yet, but I am a little concerned about this aggressive behaviour towards other dogs.

Again thanks for any suggestions or tips you may have. And thanks for this amazing resource and forum!

Post up some pics!!

40lbs is small for an English Bulldog but some on here have smaller bulldogs. My Bulldog is around 65lbs and I think male bulldogs are usually 55-65lbs and some bigger.

I feed mine 2-3/4 cups per day split into two feedings.

His aggressiveness is probably him being territorial of you and your family since he hasn't had much contact with other but hopefully he will grow out of it as he gets comfortable with you or the person you pass him on to. My bulldog gets along with all dogs but most of the little dogs don't like him and try picking a fight. He has been submissive to them so far but he plays too rough sometimes also. I don't think he knows his strength

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Owners should rot in hell in my opinion!

Ok i feel better now.

Feed him a bit more but gradual not in one shot. You cant expect for him to be 60lbs immediately. He might not even reach there and it's fine! Babysteps with your bully. Ask friends that has calm, non yappy dogs to come over and use treats to help him out so he doesn't freak out or be territorial. Chained to a tree n no water!!! Basta**ds ok feel better lol... go slowly that's all you have to do. Play with him, talk alot to him, hugs are great too. We are here to help you. Anything else just ask as we will be there to answer you. :) photos would be great!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Owners should rot in hell in my opinion!

Ok i feel better now.

Feed him a bit more but gradual not in one shot. You cant expect for him to be 60lbs immediately. He might not even reach there and it's fine! Babysteps with your bully. Ask friends that has calm, non yappy dogs to come over and use treats to help him out so he doesn't freak out or be territorial. Chained to a tree n no water!!! Basta**ds ok feel better lol... go slowly that's all you have to do. Play with him, talk alot to him, hugs are great too. We are here to help you. Anything else just ask as we will be there to answer you. :) photos would be great!

I would say "certain owners" Helene because we are not all bad. But I wholeheartedly agree with you.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
:welcome4:

Welcome to EBN Toby and [MENTION=16329]TobyDad[/MENTION]. Jewel and Bentley say hello.

Well you have come to the right place. Thank you for taking Toby into your home and God bless you.

My Bentley was stuck in a crate/kennel for the first 8 months of his life before we got him. He was extremely timid for the first month we had him. Bentley would start to pant fast when he felt anxious so do not overwhelm at first. Bentley did not know what a toy, treat, and eating out of a bowl was. He did not like the dark and our Jewel showed him the ropes for going outside. Bentley would hold his pee and only void once a day until he realized it was OK to pee/poo (potty) whenever taken outside.

Bentley would not eat out of a bowl...he would drink water out of a bowl but not eat. It took Bentley about 3-4 months before he started out of bowl. Now outside Bentley had no problem eating toads and still doesn't unless we catch him in the act.

Now bullies have allergies and keep an eye on what you give Toby. Bentley is allergic to beef. WE feed him a grain free food Fromm Pork and Applesauce. Jewel had a bout of pancreatitis from giving here too much fat and now she is on a low-fat diet. Here is dog food ratings from dog food advisor: Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor . Jewel and Bentley have 2 1/2 cups of food spread over three feedings. Now Jewel has empty stomach syndrome and will puke frothy white-yellowish liquid when she has an episode. Currently, the current feeding schedule is working and Jewel is doing extremely well.

I do not know if Toby has a tail pocket but, many bullies do. Jewel had a tail pocket and had many infections and we ended up having her cork-screw tail amputated. Here is a link about tail pockets...English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog: What is a Tail Pocket? .

Now if you haven't figured out by now...bullies are an extremely high maintenance breed to have. Our vet always gives us accolades that we are right for this breed. The techs comment that our bullies do not smell like other clients of theirs. Here is a link for some routine daily sometimes twice daily maintenance that you should know....English Bulldog News Forums - The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva .

Now TobyDad you are never alone here at EBN. If you have questions or concerns, just start a thread and someone will chime in.

Again thank you for rescuing Toby and welcome to EBN. --rj

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
:hiya::EBNwelcome::nice2meetu: I'm so glad Toby has found you my heart breaks reading about how he had been treated and I'm glad you're giving him the love, attention and care that he needs and deserves. As far as feeding goes I think you're doing alright with one cup twice a day since he's not neutered, after or if you choose to neuter him he may need less as their metabolism slows from the change in hormones. The amount of food can also very depending on how much protein is in it. If you're transitioning from one food to the next try adding some canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, there are a lot of great resources and wonderful people on this site. And please, we do love pictures and would love to see some of Toby!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN! Thank you so much for saving this boy...

He is scared and not sure and most likely needs some structure introductions to other animals. Check into a behaviorist to help get him socialized to dogs ... it is the best way to ensure he does not develop "resource guarding' and aggression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

TobyDad

Sep 10, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Thanks Wes, nice to meet you. I tried to add some photos to this post. Can you see them yet?

OP
T

TobyDad

Sep 10, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Thanks, nice to meet you

OP
T

TobyDad

Sep 10, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Thanks all and nice to meet you.
I have tried to add some photos to this post. Can you see them yet?

OP
T

TobyDad

Sep 10, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Hi all,
I have added some photos to this thread. Hopefully you can see them.

Now if I can just figure out how to add a pic to my profile

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.