Hello Everyone. I have a few starter questions for a new puppy and puppy owner

mazzo16

Sep 7, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbz
Hello, My names Nick and I'm new to the site, as a bulldog owner and as a puppy owner. I would love any feedback from anyone with more knowledge about my pup to get a better understanding.

I am currently using iams puppy food and would like to know how long I should keep my puppy on actual puppy food. I live in an apartment and would like for him to stay as small as possible. I have read that its so easy for these kinds of dogs to become overweight. He is currently about 13 lbs at 12 weeks of age. Does that sounds like the right weight per age so far??
Thank you for reading!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!!

Here is a great thread to get you started w/your new puppy...English Bulldog News Forums - Welcoming Home Your New English Bulldog Puppy

And you really should consider another dog food, IAMS is not a great choice... we tell people to check on Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor and look at the food ratings. Your pup will need to eat 3 times a day, and at this young stage I would not be concerned about weight gain. It takes about 3 years for a bully to completely finish growing, so you have plenty of time.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome2:to you and your puppy. As Tracey mentioned,this is no time to worry about weight. Your pup needs good nutrition as he is growing. My grown dogs eat a good food 3 times a day, and they are not over weight. If you have seen the size of his parents-that can give you an idea of his potential. Do not try to manage his size by with holding nutrition.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

As others have said, weight at this stage should not be a concern , but you do need to find a better food-- grain free for better health.

here is a good guideline for feeding... usually keep on puppy food till at least 8 months, then you can switch to adult. Unless, you feed an all stages grain free food... then it is puppy through life
8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online