Sleepyhedgehog

Aug 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Reginald Snugglesworth, I (Reggie)
Well, a week ago yesterday we picked up our first dog and rescue pup Reggie from a lady that rescues bulldogs. We then embarked on an exciting almost 20-hour drive home with our 3 kids and this sweet fellow. We have now introducing Reggie into our daily life. He has been a joy! At first he was very anxious and didn't sleep a lot at first unless he was in his crate, but now seems to be making up for lost time! This boy can sleep anywhere, anytime! I could sit and listen to his 'purring' forever. :D

He's learned 'sit', 'down', 'stay' (sort of), 'wait' (to let the kids get up and down the stairs before he barrels forth), and walking nicely on a leash. For the first few days he was great to go for his walk, but lately he has been protesting by laying down before we even get to the end of the drive-way. Is that normal for a 1-year-old bulldog? I know they aren't exercise-lovers but if he's not in the mood, he's not moving!

Thanks !! 20160906_113000.jpg20160904_091811.jpg20160906_113010.jpg

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Check the paws and pads to make sure there isn't a lot of irritation. Check other areas like the tail pocket also. Mine didn't want to walk as a puppy but loves them now that he is 1.5. If something is bothering him though he refuses to walk.

I would also suggest a harness rather than a collar. It helps with the short nosed breeds. A collar also slips off my boy.

It could also be that the trust relationship isn't there. Try some ball time in the yard with his leash attached but not in your hand.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Great tips by [MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION], agree with all.

Also, looking at the 2nd pic, not sure if that type of rock isn't hurting his paws
so going for walks on soft ground or smooth surface might help. Try this and a
harness and a treat and see...it is encouraging he was willing initially...maybe
keep walks very short (at first) and cool part of the day.

However, some bulldogs just do not like walking, my Cami does not and WILL
plant herself & not budge :)

OP
S

Sleepyhedgehog

Aug 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys! That is all good advice. I had him at the vet last night and he has a wee ear infection so that might be bringing him down too I guess. The lady that runs the rescue we got him from absolutely in no uncertain terms told me not to use a harness with a bulldog. I had brought one with us and then I returned it. She said it encourages pulling, and since we've never had one before....

The vet checked him over (and I did again today) thoroughly and he seems to be in good shape other than his ear and some skin issues we are working through. I will make sure he gets the softer ground and maybe this is just who he is. He is a lovable little (big!) boy so I'm okay as long as he is! :D

Thanks for your advice all!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Man when I see photos that they just decide to not move n just lay there cracks me up.

OP
S

Sleepyhedgehog

Aug 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
LOL...I know, right?! I know I'm supposed to be the 'boss' but I can't help laughing and that is probably encouraging him. ;)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Congratulations on your new addition... Reggie is adorable :drawheart:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:congrats4::welcome: My dogs wear step-in harnesses all the time. But when I walk them off the property,I use a chain training collar. They totally respect that collar, and I have never disciplined them with it,they just seemed to naturally take to it. I have the opposite problem-they would PULL me,it I walked them with the harness. They wear it beacause I have a fear of them leaving the property-though it is all fenced in-my phobia... I have seen many questions here about the dog lying down and not wanting to walk. My big dogs trained my little ones to walk-I hooked the little ones' leash to the big one-easy peasy!!!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Well, a week ago yesterday we picked up our first dog and rescue pup Reggie from a lady that rescues bulldogs. We then embarked on an exciting almost 20-hour drive home with our 3 kids and this sweet fellow. We have now introducing Reggie into our daily life. He has been a joy! At first he was very anxious and didn't sleep a lot at first unless he was in his crate, but now seems to be making up for lost time! This boy can sleep anywhere, anytime! I could sit and listen to his 'purring' forever. :D

He's learned 'sit', 'down', 'stay' (sort of), 'wait' (to let the kids get up and down the stairs before he barrels forth), and walking nicely on a leash. For the first few days he was great to go for his walk, but lately he has been protesting by laying down before we even get to the end of the drive-way. Is that normal for a 1-year-old bulldog? I know they aren't exercise-lovers but if he's not in the mood, he's not moving!

Thanks !!View attachment 100995View attachment 100996View attachment 100994

Congratulations on your new addition. As far as walking bullies..."only walk them as far as you want to carry them" and yes that is normal behavior after you have ruled out what has already been covered.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN.... thank you o much for rescuing/adopting that sweet boy -- I love the name too!

OP
S

Sleepyhedgehog

Aug 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks all! He seems to be in good health and at times can have tons of energy...we played chase and fetch yesterday and he enjoyed it. When he is tired or in a lazy mood, that is it, though. Twice now, I've brought him out for a pee after he just woke up and he has gone outside and just layed down. I thought he was wanting to go back to sleep but nope...he was just peeing while laying down! This guy cracks me up! :) I met another bulldog owner on a canning facebook page and she said that once you've had a bulldog you'll never have another type of dog again, and I can see why! :D

OP
S

Sleepyhedgehog

Aug 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
That's why the rescue-lady told me....she said that he would have all his power behind him and there would be no way my kids could control him if he walked in a harness. He didn't have good walking manners then, having never really had a family to care for him, and at first he did pull but it really didn't take him long to walk nicely, and now to nap mid-walk! :) I think it is timing. I need to figure out when he has the most energy during the day, and not probably to expect a very long walk from him. We were initially walking a kilometer out and another back. That might be too long for him?

Thanks again!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Reggie is a cutie! Congratulations!! Good luck with the walking stuff, mine is more into the sunbathing in the grass than he is walking :) they're silly sometimes but they really are the best dogs ever!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.