Thread: The Past and Present

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus, Spartacus
    Likes (Received)

Default The Past and Present

I am obviously not a new member here, but my situation is. My best friend Spartacus had to be put down a few weeks past. His organs were shutting down and he had internal bleeding. It was a very tough decision to have to have him put down, but after seeing him in the amount of pain that he was in, the weight loss that he was suffering... I could no longer sit buy and watch my friend go through what he was going through. My last action to him was looking in his eyes, and telling him that I love him. He understood. I kissed him good bye on his head and then he was taken away. He was nine years old.

The house still seems strange without him. His presence surely left a mark.

Moving two and a half weeks forward, I was just randomly checking the local animal shelters to see if there were any Bullies brought in. To my surprise, there was a two year old male that had been surrendered. I waited 35 minutes until the shelter had opened, was the first in line, and when the doors had opened, I rushed to where he was located. I've asked to walk him, played with him for a little, watched his demeanor and temperament (from all that I could see within 10 minutes), and put in my adoption papers for him.

I have recently brought him home. He is 56 pounds, and healthy... well, healthy by English Bully standards. His previous human was admitted to a hospice, so she could no longer care for him.

I have named him Maximus and he and I are already working on the Human/English Bully bonding thing. He seems like he is going to be alright. Although Maximus could never fill the huge paws of Spartacus, a new chapter has begun.

-img_3483-jpg-img_3503-jpg-img_3505-jpg

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Past and Present

I'm so sorry for your loss of Spartacus, I cannot imagine having to take a decision like that, but it's ultimately a last act of love not putting them through suffering <3

Maximus is a beauty <3 Thank you for adopting.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

3. Likes Jersey, Manydogs, Texas Carol liked this post
    My name is Jersey! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jersey
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss... and you're right, there will never be another Spartacus. May his light shine within your heart until you are reunited. Rest peacefully sweet boy, you are so loved. Turning the page... to Maximus. Thank you and bless you for rescuing him. There must surely be a special place in Heaven for the ones who save our babies; lost or deserted, abused or as in the case of Maximus, given up because mom was unable to provide care or a home. You and Maximus already have a huge bond as you've started out together with something in common... you've both suffered the worst loss imaginable... the loss of your partner and best friend. Can you see the sadness in his eyes? Can you feel his loss and confusion? It hurts to imagine what his owner might have gone through having to say goodbye to such a sweet boy, uncertain of his fate. Just as you handed your precious boy Spartacus over for the Angels to love and care for, so have you been given Maximus in return. A gift from Heaven. I pray that you both love and heal one another as only ones chosen by God can do. If Maximus could speak... perhaps if you listen very closely... you will hear a small voice, from his heart to yours... say "Thank you". Bless you both! Susan and Jersey.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus, Spartacus
    Likes (Received)

Susan... thank you so very much for those extremely powerful words! Reading your words through your vision and interpretation was very comforting. I cannot say thank you enough... I am very thankful for your words and the time that you have taken to read mine.

6. Likes Jersey, Texas Carol liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@SoxMunkey In her post,Susan has said it all for me.I could not have expressed it better-but I have had to make "the decision" many times,and it never is any easier,and it's true-they are physically gone,but never leave our heart. So sorry about losing Spartacus-but perhaps he had a paw in your' meeting Maximus?
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

8. Likes Jersey, SoxMunkey, 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

So very sorry for your loss if Spartacus... He will always be with you and he knows you love him more than life -- rest in peace handsome.

Welcome to Maximus... He came to you when you needed it most--- thank you for hearing his call and now you are both rescued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

10. Likes Jersey, helsonwheels, Texas Carol liked this post
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

So sorry for your loss, it is never easy loosing a family member. Bless you for rescuing Maximus, he is a very handsome boy.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

12. Likes Jersey, Texas Carol liked this post
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Joni
    Likes (Received)

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your Spartacus! We lost our French Bulldog at the end of May, and adopted our Joni (english bulldog) 3 weeks ago. It felt quick, but it also felt meant to be. Your little Spartacus sent you Maximus. What are the chances that you'd find a rescue bulldog—and be first in line!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

I am sorry for your loss of Precious Spartacus, you will see him one day never to part again. Thank You for adopting Maximus and giving him a loving home.

15. Likes Jersey, Texas Carol liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Oh my.....I am so very sorry for your loss, big tears for you while reading your post. I have not words that could change the void you feel but I believe that somehow your Spartacus did one more loving, bully thing for you, out of love he sent you to Maximus!!! BRAVO for following your feelings and rescuing that handsome boy!! PLEASE keep updating, I would love to follow your new chapter......Peace!

Sue (and Joey)
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

I am so so sorry to hear about your sweet Spartacus. You did what was the ultimate best for him, in not letting him suffer. Live on through all the memories you had, and work on creating new one for sweet Maximus. Thank you for rescuing the sweet boy, he looks right at home already. One day we will all be reunited with our babies that have gone before us. Until then, we'll always think of you and remember you sweet Spartacus!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

18. Likes sisters3, Jersey, SoxMunkey, Texas Carol liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Spartacus will never be replaced and is always right by your side. You had 9 beautiful years with him and you will always cherish every moment you had with him. He sent you a new best friend to fill your broken heart. You're a good soul to have given Maximus a second chance as he will guide you through your pain. Babysteps my dear friend, babysteps.....

20. Likes sisters3, Jersey, SoxMunkey, Texas Carol liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads