SoxMunkey

Oct 18, 2015
Orlando, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus, Spartacus
I am obviously not a new member here, but my situation is. My best friend Spartacus had to be put down a few weeks past. His organs were shutting down and he had internal bleeding. It was a very tough decision to have to have him put down, but after seeing him in the amount of pain that he was in, the weight loss that he was suffering... I could no longer sit buy and watch my friend go through what he was going through. My last action to him was looking in his eyes, and telling him that I love him. He understood. I kissed him good bye on his head and then he was taken away. He was nine years old.

The house still seems strange without him. His presence surely left a mark.

Moving two and a half weeks forward, I was just randomly checking the local animal shelters to see if there were any Bullies brought in. To my surprise, there was a two year old male that had been surrendered. I waited 35 minutes until the shelter had opened, was the first in line, and when the doors had opened, I rushed to where he was located. I've asked to walk him, played with him for a little, watched his demeanor and temperament (from all that I could see within 10 minutes), and put in my adoption papers for him.

I have recently brought him home. He is 56 pounds, and healthy... well, healthy by English Bully standards. His previous human was admitted to a hospice, so she could no longer care for him.

I have named him Maximus and he and I are already working on the Human/English Bully bonding thing. He seems like he is going to be alright. Although Maximus could never fill the huge paws of Spartacus, a new chapter has begun.

IMG_3483.jpgIMG_3503.jpgIMG_3505.jpg

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I'm so sorry for your loss of Spartacus, I cannot imagine having to take a decision like that, but it's ultimately a last act of love not putting them through suffering <3

Maximus is a beauty <3 Thank you for adopting.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss... and you're right, there will never be another Spartacus. May his light shine within your heart until you are reunited. Rest peacefully sweet boy, you are so loved. Turning the page... to Maximus. Thank you and bless you for rescuing him. There must surely be a special place in Heaven for the ones who save our babies; lost or deserted, abused or as in the case of Maximus, given up because mom was unable to provide care or a home. You and Maximus already have a huge bond as you've started out together with something in common... you've both suffered the worst loss imaginable... the loss of your partner and best friend. Can you see the sadness in his eyes? Can you feel his loss and confusion? It hurts to imagine what his owner might have gone through having to say goodbye to such a sweet boy, uncertain of his fate. Just as you handed your precious boy Spartacus over for the Angels to love and care for, so have you been given Maximus in return. A gift from Heaven. I pray that you both love and heal one another as only ones chosen by God can do. If Maximus could speak... perhaps if you listen very closely... you will hear a small voice, from his heart to yours... say "Thank you". Bless you both! Susan and Jersey.

OP
S

SoxMunkey

Oct 18, 2015
Orlando, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus, Spartacus
Susan... thank you so very much for those extremely powerful words! Reading your words through your vision and interpretation was very comforting. I cannot say thank you enough... I am very thankful for your words and the time that you have taken to read mine.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14945]SoxMunkey[/MENTION] In her post,Susan has said it all for me.I could not have expressed it better-but I have had to make "the decision" many times,and it never is any easier,and it's true-they are physically gone,but never leave our heart. So sorry about losing Spartacus-but perhaps he had a paw in your' meeting Maximus?:heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So very sorry for your loss if Spartacus... He will always be with you and he knows you love him more than life -- rest in peace handsome.

Welcome to Maximus... He came to you when you needed it most--- thank you for hearing his call and now you are both rescued :heart:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry for your loss, it is never easy loosing a family member. Bless you for rescuing Maximus, he is a very handsome boy.

delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your Spartacus! We lost our French Bulldog at the end of May, and adopted our Joni (english bulldog) 3 weeks ago. It felt quick, but it also felt meant to be. Your little Spartacus sent you Maximus. What are the chances that you'd find a rescue bulldog—and be first in line!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am sorry for your loss of Precious Spartacus, you will see him one day never to part again. Thank You for adopting Maximus and giving him a loving home.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh my.....I am so very sorry for your loss, big tears for you while reading your post. I have not words that could change the void you feel but I believe that somehow your Spartacus did one more loving, bully thing for you, out of love he sent you to Maximus!!! BRAVO for following your feelings and rescuing that handsome boy!! PLEASE keep updating, I would love to follow your new chapter......Peace!

Sue (and Joey)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I am so so sorry to hear about your sweet Spartacus. You did what was the ultimate best for him, in not letting him suffer. Live on through all the memories you had, and work on creating new one for sweet Maximus. Thank you for rescuing the sweet boy, he looks right at home already. One day we will all be reunited with our babies that have gone before us. Until then, we'll always think of you and remember you sweet Spartacus!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Spartacus will never be replaced and is always right by your side. You had 9 beautiful years with him and you will always cherish every moment you had with him. He sent you a new best friend to fill your broken heart. You're a good soul to have given Maximus a second chance as he will guide you through your pain. Babysteps my dear friend, babysteps.....

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I am obviously not a new member here, but my situation is. My best friend Spartacus had to be put down a few weeks past. His organs were shutting down and he had internal bleeding. It was a very tough decision to have to have him put down, but after seeing him in the amount of pain that he was in, the weight loss that he was suffering... I could no longer sit buy and watch my friend go through what he was going through. My last action to him was looking in his eyes, and telling him that I love him. He understood. I kissed him good bye on his head and then he was taken away. He was nine years old.

The house still seems strange without him. His presence surely left a mark.

Moving two and a half weeks forward, I was just randomly checking the local animal shelters to see if there were any Bullies brought in. To my surprise, there was a two year old male that had been surrendered. I waited 35 minutes until the shelter had opened, was the first in line, and when the doors had opened, I rushed to where he was located. I've asked to walk him, played with him for a little, watched his demeanor and temperament (from all that I could see within 10 minutes), and put in my adoption papers for him.

I have recently brought him home. He is 56 pounds, and healthy... well, healthy by English Bully standards. His previous human was admitted to a hospice, so she could no longer care for him.

I have named him Maximus and he and I are already working on the Human/English Bully bonding thing. He seems like he is going to be alright. Although Maximus could never fill the huge paws of Spartacus, a new chapter has begun.

View attachment 100348View attachment 100349View attachment 100350

I am so sorry for your loss , just over a year ago I lost My precious Tilly and then Diva shortly there after and your post made Me relive it all over again , both to cancer Tilly 4 years old and Diva 12 years . Tears still well up as they are as I write , like you and My vets advice ( she knows Me better then I know Myself ) I went out took a bit of time to find another good but different breeder and got a new LOVE of My life Primrose = Rosie . Maximus is a very lucky Gent to have you as I am sure you agree you to have him , We do not and never will forget our best friends that Cross The Rainbow Bridge and posts like yours will always reinforce our love for them all . Remember Maximus will have some separation issues also which is good for the both of you to work on together and make that special bond all the more a adventure Anew. He is wonderful.

OP
S

SoxMunkey

Oct 18, 2015
Orlando, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus, Spartacus
I cannot thank everyone enough for their sentiment and warm emotion. Sincerely... thank you. It's never easy losing a family member. When my daughter was in elementary school, my ex-wife and I purchased a Maltese. My kids grew up with that dog and he was truly a member of the family. He lived a long time, only to pass away about two or three years ago. My daughter had him cremated and has his ashes in her home. So yeah, it can be a very emotional event.

Maximus is making daily progress. He was not crate trained, so there's that. Also, I am feeding him Fromm's. Part of the issue with Spartacus was feeding him crappy dog food. I know that everyone can only do what they can afford, but now my question is, can we truly afford the loss or vet bills from two star, one star dog food? Our little Bully Buddies deserve better. I am not completely aware of Maximus went through with his previous human, but I do know this... he was NOT happy in Doggie Prison!! There was another dog in his cage area and that dog kept attacking Max. He would jump on his back and nip at his ears. He was barking at him and taking a defensive position with Max. At one point, Max turned around and snapped at the other dog. I wanted to take him home right then and there! As if being in that loud and prison like environment isn't scary enough for any animal, Maximus was being bullied before he could even be adopted.

Springing him out of Doggie Prison has been comforting for him. He really is a kind and friendly little Bully. He just needed to not be the alpha and find a good home. He is making excellent progress!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Well you brought him to a safe place, his new home!

Regarding affordable food, try looking on here
Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

One of my son has 2 pitbulls and feeds the a 4 star bag. His dogs loves it, healthy, no allergies, fit and full of energy. Called Horizon legacy gray bag bigger bag... very good price too which i forgot but recall making the remark..wow is that all... this is in Canada so im sure its less expensive in US.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online