Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Past and Present

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie or Primrose
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by SoxMunkey View Post
    I am obviously not a new member here, but my situation is. My best friend Spartacus had to be put down a few weeks past. His organs were shutting down and he had internal bleeding. It was a very tough decision to have to have him put down, but after seeing him in the amount of pain that he was in, the weight loss that he was suffering... I could no longer sit buy and watch my friend go through what he was going through. My last action to him was looking in his eyes, and telling him that I love him. He understood. I kissed him good bye on his head and then he was taken away. He was nine years old.

The house still seems strange without him. His presence surely left a mark.

Moving two and a half weeks forward, I was just randomly checking the local animal shelters to see if there were any Bullies brought in. To my surprise, there was a two year old male that had been surrendered. I waited 35 minutes until the shelter had opened, was the first in line, and when the doors had opened, I rushed to where he was located. I've asked to walk him, played with him for a little, watched his demeanor and temperament (from all that I could see within 10 minutes), and put in my adoption papers for him.

I have recently brought him home. He is 56 pounds, and healthy... well, healthy by English Bully standards. His previous human was admitted to a hospice, so she could no longer care for him.

I have named him Maximus and he and I are already working on the Human/English Bully bonding thing. He seems like he is going to be alright. Although Maximus could never fill the huge paws of Spartacus, a new chapter has begun.

Attachment 100348Attachment 100349Attachment 100350
    I am so sorry for your loss , just over a year ago I lost My precious Tilly and then Diva shortly there after and your post made Me relive it all over again , both to cancer Tilly 4 years old and Diva 12 years . Tears still well up as they are as I write , like you and My vets advice ( she knows Me better then I know Myself ) I went out took a bit of time to find another good but different breeder and got a new LOVE of My life Primrose = Rosie . Maximus is a very lucky Gent to have you as I am sure you agree you to have him , We do not and never will forget our best friends that Cross The Rainbow Bridge and posts like yours will always reinforce our love for them all . Remember Maximus will have some separation issues also which is good for the both of you to work on together and make that special bond all the more a adventure Anew. He is wonderful.
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus, Spartacus
    Likes (Received)

I cannot thank everyone enough for their sentiment and warm emotion. Sincerely... thank you. It's never easy losing a family member. When my daughter was in elementary school, my ex-wife and I purchased a Maltese. My kids grew up with that dog and he was truly a member of the family. He lived a long time, only to pass away about two or three years ago. My daughter had him cremated and has his ashes in her home. So yeah, it can be a very emotional event.

Maximus is making daily progress. He was not crate trained, so there's that. Also, I am feeding him Fromm's. Part of the issue with Spartacus was feeding him crappy dog food. I know that everyone can only do what they can afford, but now my question is, can we truly afford the loss or vet bills from two star, one star dog food? Our little Bully Buddies deserve better. I am not completely aware of Maximus went through with his previous human, but I do know this... he was NOT happy in Doggie Prison!! There was another dog in his cage area and that dog kept attacking Max. He would jump on his back and nip at his ears. He was barking at him and taking a defensive position with Max. At one point, Max turned around and snapped at the other dog. I wanted to take him home right then and there! As if being in that loud and prison like environment isn't scary enough for any animal, Maximus was being bullied before he could even be adopted.

Springing him out of Doggie Prison has been comforting for him. He really is a kind and friendly little Bully. He just needed to not be the alpha and find a good home. He is making excellent progress!

3. Likes cefe13, Texas Carol liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)

Well you brought him to a safe place, his new home!

Regarding affordable food, try looking on here
    Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

One of my son has 2 pitbulls and feeds the a 4 star bag. His dogs loves it, healthy, no allergies, fit and full of energy. Called Horizon legacy gray bag bigger bag... very good price too which i forgot but recall making the remark..wow is that all... this is in Canada so im sure its less expensive in US.

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

My condolences on the loss of Spartacus. I think it is a beautiful thing that you were able to help end his suffering even though it hurt to make that decision. Congrats on giving Maximus a new home and chance at love. Wonderful way to honor Spartacus as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

6. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

While your post was a sad one, it had a happy ending. Glad of your decision to adopt.
    Hug your bully today

8. Likes helsonwheels, Texas Carol liked this post
    Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry about the loss of your sweet Sparticus, but am thrilled that you have another bully to love. Thank you for rescuing Maximus! He's a good-looking boy!

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

10. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

I so very sorry for you loss, Spartacus. But what are the chances you would look the local shelters and a Bullie waiting for you? Seems like karma to me. Congrats on Maximus!!

I'm a good girl, I promise

12. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads