Meet Joni! and skin folds treatment question

delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
Hi everyone! So glad to be joining this forum. I've been reading and finally decided to post since I have a question.

I brought Ms. Joni into our home on a trial basis two weeks ago. She's a 3 year old rescue (owner surrender) and she is just a doll! We make the adoption official on Saturday. But she's already stolen our hearts! We had a 9 year old rescue French Bulldog (Jazzy) who passed away a few months ago (we are devastated). We decided to put an application in with the rescue for a new doggy friend since we knew it could take awhile, but we were contacted immediately that this sweet girl could be a good fit for our home. And she sure is!

My question is related to her folds. I took her to the vet the rescue uses today for a check up, knowing that her face folds were a little irritated. I've been wiping them daily, but they're a little red and brown so the doctor prescribed MiconaHex + Triz wipes applied 2x a day. Well, I just tried to clean her folds with them and she seems to be having a bad reaction to them. I think they sting. She immediately ran up into her crate (which she never does; and she's still hiding there) and is rubbing her head all over her dog bed and just seems genuinely uncomfortable. It's breaking my heart! I wiped off what I could with a dry paper towel, and then decided to wipe them out again with an EarthBath grooming wipe and redry with the paper towel. It seems to be helping but I can tell she is still uncomfortable.

Her folds aren't infected, just a little irritated. I really don't want to put her through this 2x a day for 2 weeks! I will call the vet tomorrow to get their assessment on what can be done, but I'm thinking something more benign could do the job. Anyone have suggestions for something that won't irritate her skin quite so much but will still help keep her folds healthy?

Pictures attached—because an introductory post needs pictures!

joni.JPG
jonimartha.jpg
IMG_0321-10.JPG

Patti

Jul 28, 2012
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Welcome, Miss Joni!

I love your name! My mom uses baby wipes on my wrinkles. I have never had irritated face wrinkles, but maybe the baby wipes won't sting your face. When my eyes get a little goopy, she uses wet paper towel to wipe away the goop then she put GenTeal eye drops into my eyes to make them feel better. Hope this helps.....

Louie

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=16113]delyrium[/MENTION] Welcome to EBN also Joni. Jewel and Bentley say hello.

Please peruse the site as you will find many articles and stories that may answer questions you might have. If you still have questions, by all means post it the forum and someone will chime in and respond. You are never alone here at the forum.

As for the fold and what you were prescribed is what is used to treat yeast issues. Jewel goes through this everyday and that it is hot and humid here in Maryland. We use the same thing you use until the issue is under control then daily, we use Vetericyn 1-3 times daily. Some members use a 10-15% mixture of Vinegar and water and some use Witch Hazel. I use the Vetericyn because it does not smell The miconahex pads prescribed do burn and they smell horrendous as well and drives Jewel up the wall. You may ask your vet for the puppy version of Neosporin which will help soothe the area.

Here is a link for proper care. English Bulldog News Forums - The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

Other members will chime in as well I'm sure.

Again welcome. --rj

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Hey CORINE! :w00t:
I use witch hazel on both my babies. Maybe use the witch hazel and then rash cream like desitin or A&D ointment. Witch hazel to help clean (I don't think it stings - mine have never had a "hurtful" reaction to it), then the rash cream. That would help with the irritation.

I sure hope Ms. Joni feels better soon! I LOVE her eye patch and her freckly ears!! What a doll baby!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi & Welcome - thank you for rescuing sweet baby girl! Go to for irritated folds - clean first with baby wipe/cotton ball & a little witch hazel. Let dry, then apply some Desitin. (baby ointment) inside the folds, just a little goes a long way. You may need a q-tip. Let us know how it goes, you should see improvement overnight, and neither will sting or hurt her ;) @delyrium
13682489.jpg

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hey CORINE! :w00t:
I use witch hazel on both my babies. Maybe use the witch hazel and then rash cream like desitin or A&D ointment. Witch hazel to help clean (I don't think it stings - mine have never had a "hurtful" reaction to it), then the rash cream. That would help with the irritation.

I sure hope Ms. Joni feels better soon! I LOVE her eye patch and her freckly ears!! What a doll baby!

Be careful with products containing zinc oxide which can be harmful to dogs. Please see Toxicology case: How to help dog owners manage zinc oxide toxicosis

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
As long as they can't ingest it, its okay. When I use it for Tyson I only put it inside his folds, and a small amount. There is no way ever he would reach it, his folds are a little deep too so once I let go, they close and you can't even see it.

Texas

Jul 20, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
She's such a cutie! I'm a new EB owner too, and I use MalAcetic wipes for my lil guy's face. You can get it on Amazon. They're great for paws that can get yeasty too, and it doesn't burn!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG.... look at that freckled baby!! I gotta have her... FRECKLES!!!

:loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

:welcome3: to EBN

OP
delyrium

delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
Aww thanks all for the warm welcome and the advice! So appreciate it.

Joni's problem fold looks MUCH better this morning after using the medicated wipes. I think I'll keep using the EarthBath grooming wipes since she doesn't mind them, add in some Witch Hazel and the desitin and go from there.

She is SUCH a sweetheart. Super well-behaved, totally house broken (basically pees on command when you take her out—no dilly dallying! which is great since we don't really have a true yard and take her out on leash for potty breaks), crate trained, GREAT with kids, good with other dogs on the street, asks permission to jump on the furniture, knows some basic commands, and she's getting used to the cats. The rescue wasn't sure how she'd do with our kitties which is why we did a trial run—but after a slow introduction she shows no interest in them at all and everyone is adjusting perfectly.

I just can't believe anyone would rehome this sweetheart. I don't know much about her back story, but from what I've gathered the family had another, older bulldog and when they had a new baby Joni got aggressive with the other dog. But they had also recently moved cross country and I'm thinking it was just too much change for her all at once.

More pics! She loves to flatten like a pancake on the floor, and army crawls to people passing on the street to say hi. :)

IMG_0381.JPGIMG_0413.JPGIMG_0418.JPG

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter

Joni's problem fold looks MUCH better this morning after using the medicated wipes. I think I'll keep using the EarthBath grooming wipes since she doesn't mind them, add in some Witch Hazel and the desitin and go from there.

She is SUCH a sweetheart. Super well-behaved, totally house broken (basically pees on command when you take her out—no dilly dallying! which is great since we don't really have a true yard and take her out on leash for potty breaks), crate trained, GREAT with kids, good with other dogs on the street, asks permission to jump on the furniture, knows some basic commands, and she's getting used to the cats. The rescue wasn't sure how she'd do with our kitties which is why we did a trial run—but after a slow introduction she shows no interest in them at all and everyone is adjusting perfectly.

I just can't believe anyone would rehome this sweetheart. I don't know much about her back story, but from what I've gathered the family had another, older bulldog and when they had a new baby Joni got aggressive with the other dog. But they had also recently moved cross country and I'm thinking it was just too much change for her all at once.

More pics! She loves to flatten like a pancake on the floor, and army crawls to people passing on the street to say hi. :)

View attachment 100093View attachment 100094View attachment 100095

awesome.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Hi & Welcome - thank you for rescuing sweet baby girl! Go to for irritated folds - clean first with baby wipe/cotton ball & a little witch hazel. Let dry, then apply some Desitin. (baby ointment) inside the folds, just a little goes a long way. You may need a q-tip. Let us know how it goes, you should see improvement overnight, and neither will sting or hurt her ;) @delyrium
View attachment 100090
I used to use Desitin on Mabel when we had skin fold problems. I used Malaket wipes, dried with tissue and put a little cream right in the fold. Her wrinkles look great now.

OP
delyrium

delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
I used to use Desitin on Mabel when we had skin fold problems. I used Malaket wipes, dried with tissue and put a little cream right in the fold. Her wrinkles look great now.

Awesome! I picked up some Desitin and will give it a try. I've stopped using the medicated wipes and her folds still look really good. I may re-introduce them a couple times a week for maintenance once her skin is less raw there. I think that's probably why it bothered her so much. But for now her folds are looking awesome!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 100093View attachment 100094View attachment 100095

She is BEAUTIFUL --- I am totally in love with her :luv:

OP
delyrium

delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
Thanks, 2BullyMama! We love her too!

ANNNND, Joni's adoption became official on Saturday! She's here to stay!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.