Texas

Jul 20, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hi everyone! I've been reading various posts on this site for the past few months to learn as much as I can about this awesome breed, but I could really use some advice so I'm now officially a member. My bully is Dozer. He's 6 months old. He had his neuter/nares/soft palette surgery on July 11th. He was doing great by the 14th. I put him to bed Friday night and he woke up Saturday with a noticeable limp in his back right leg. I wasn't too worried as that was an area that was operated on. I thought he was just sore/stiff. Sunday he was still limping with the back right and by lunch was limping with the front right leg. As the day progressed the front leg was almost completely limp, his breathing was faster and he was clearly in pain. We had several X-rays done of his legs that showed nothing. His dr thinks he has something called panosteitis. She sent us home with a couple pain rx, told us to limit his activity and come back for repeat films in 14 days if there's no improvement. She says the panosteitis will not show up immediately on X-ray? If anyone has experienced this I would love to know how your bully progressed and how you managed their pain. It completely breaks my heart to see him this way. Thanks!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
From what I can see it is detected by xray, as it shows density in the bones. Since he's still young there's a good chance that he may outgrow it. I've never personally dealt with it, but my Tyson who is a senior suffers from arthritis, so we are constantly trying to help his pain with meds & laser therapy, supplements, massages, etc. Are you located in TX?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16139]Texas[/MENTION] This disease can be treated with pain meds. or anti inflamatory meds. Sometimes it is called "growing pains". It is inflamation in the bones,and puppies can get it,sometimes at 2 months old, usually 6 months. It is very painful to them, but they eventually grow out of it. Getting over weight makes it harder on them. It is good to have xrays every so often to make sure there's nothing else developing. Not too much exercise and pain meds is usually what the treatment is. I sure hope your baby feels better soon! :welcome4:to EBN.

OP
Texas

Texas

Jul 20, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thanks! I live in Pearland:)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Just replied to your PM. Been through it for sure. If you have any questions just hit me up. Pano does suck as there is no cure and you just have to manage the pain and wait it out for potential returning flare ups for a couple of years until they stop growing.

OP
Texas

Texas

Jul 20, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
He goes to Brookdale, Dr. deschamps. She's the vet our breeder uses.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Welcome to EBN Dozer. Jewel and Bentley say hello.

Please peruse the site as you will find many articles and stories that may answer questions you might have. If you still have questions, by all means post it the forum and someone will chime in and respond. You are never alone here at the forum.

Again welcome. --rj

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN! I do hope it is just growing pains and he is all good in a short time. try to keep him calm and no jumping

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Welcome to EBN. Hopefully, if it's panosteitis, it doesn't take long. Painkillers will help, but it ha to run it's course.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some times foods too high in protein can cause this. If you have him on puppy food, change to a good adult food that is not too high in protein. 24 to 28 percent is high enough. Hope you boy gets better soon. It is not uncommon for growing bullies to limp occasionally until they get to about two years of age.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Some times foods too high in protein can cause this. If you have him on puppy food, change to a good adult food that is not too high in protein. 24 to 28 percent is high enough. Hope you boy gets better soon. It is not uncommon for growing bullies to limp occasionally until they get to about two years of age.

I agree, David. I am not a fan of puppy foods because of the amount of protein, but I always had large breeds. I would assume it is the same with bulldogs because of their large frames.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.