itchy bully baby

korey39

Jul 12, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bella
Hi I am a new bully mama i have a6 month old daughter bella she has been taking benedryl since we got her i have changed her for and she gets bath 2timesweek get bumps on her back area i swear it is the grass since switching food not as bad but this last wweeks seems worse using hydrocortisone vet keeps saying she is a bulldog dont want her to have bumps or what to do.
:pray:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aw shame, sorry to hear you're having problems with her skin. Very common unfortunately but I think your vet sounds a little judgmental... she doesn't have to deal with her allergies just cos she's a bulldog:(

My Boeboe's got sensitive skin too... she got better after he spay cos hers was mainly hormone related, but she does get hives occasionally. Hives can be caused by so many things, most commonly is probably food allergy. They can be allergic to basically anything, grains or a specific meat etc, it can be very hard to figure out. There's a test the vet can do that would show exactly what she's allergic too but I think she might be a bit young for that test still? [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION].

What do you use as shampoo? Two times a week sounds like a lot unless it some type of medical shampoo.

You could try to add Coconut oil to her food, it has helped Boeboe with her skin. About 2 tbsp a day, but start out with less so she can get used to it. The Coconut Oil does take a while before seeing results though... but it's good for them in the meantime:)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Oh my 2x a week is sure a lot of washing. You're removing the natural oils in Bella's skin. Like [MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] said unless it's a special soap for the hives. And a vet that says a comment like that "cause it's a bully?" Pffffft I would change vets. I useuDr Bronner All Natural Organic Certified Ingredients.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi I am a new bully mama i have a6 month old daughter bella she has been taking benedryl since we got her i have changed her for and she gets bath 2timesweek get bumps on her back area i swear it is the grass since switching food not as bad but this last wweeks seems worse using hydrocortisone vet keeps saying she is a bulldog dont want her to have bumps or what to do.
:pray:

What do the bumps look like? are they like a blind pimple or are they scabs and dry? You need to find a new vet, as one that says 'it's a bully' does not understand the sensitivity of the breed. Where are you located, we might be able to help you find one I the area.

There are tests to identify the allergy, but at 6 months old, you would get a lot of false results.

can you post a picture of one of the bumps?

also, what food are you feeding?

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Yep. Find a new vet. Bullies have skin problems, but finding the right food and treatment will prevent most. What are you feeding now? I agree that bathing the dog too frequently is not good and may be making the problem worse. Welcome! I hope you can get the skin problem under control!

Most Reactions