New Here. special needs bulldog

Kenye

Jul 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shrek & Fiona
Hello. I rescued 2 bulldogs a year ago from a guy who was not going to breed anymore. They had been horribly treated. Fast forward to now and the female is going blind. She has entropy an due to 2 sets of eyelashes. Her first surgery was not that shu2 years oldcessful apparently because her symptoms are back and we go back to the vet in a week. I don't have any experience with this and while I want to help her as much as possible I'm not sure we are the best home for them. Her brother is in perfect health for a bulldog. I will make sure the vet has fixed her problem surgically as much as possible prior to rehoming of that is what I decide to do. I just am thinking our home is not very suitable for a special needs pet and I have had some medical issues crop up lately. They are 1 1\2 Any thoughts that could help me with this difficult decision would be great.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have two bulldogs who have had entropion surgery,which is what that is called. They have not had a problem since, and I hope a bulldog saavy veterinarian is caring for your bulldogs.After surgery, they would wear a "cone" for two weeks,and then have the stitches removed. I have had a couple of blind(worse case scenerio) dogs and they are no trouble. Some would require eyedrops,if they have dry eye. There are EBD rescues,if you decide to go that route.Someone here could help you with that. I love your babies names!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN... Thank you for saving those babies!

Lynn gave you great info and if you do decide to rehome ... There are many rescues we can help you get in touch with to surrender, if necessary.

Let us know how it all goes and where you are located, which will help in the rescue to contact.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
God bless you for rescuing them!

If you are ill yourself and/or finances are needing for your medical issues
than well know & trusted Rescues are the way to go as they can get the bullies
the care they need and find suitable homes.

It's holidays starting & members packing & traveling but you'll get more advice
on entropion and under Forums at top go to Bulldog Health & read articles there.

Good luck & let us get updates on y'all...welcome to EBN!

MacAttack

Sep 17, 2012
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear, Mac (2/12 - 5/16) & Louis (french)
While entro surgery didn't help on one my bully's eyes, it was never much of a problem to put in the eye drops. I also had a dog that lost one of her eyes and she got around just fine. Whichever way you decide to go, thank you for opening your home and rescuing them in the first place. Good luck.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Thank you for rescuing both of them! I hope she comes through the surgery OK. Just make sure the vet has experience with Bulldogs' special needs during surgery.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.