Keeping my 3 year old off the couch

Bullymom112013

May 31, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sabrina Rose
I need advice about how to keep my 3 year old bully girl off the couch. She is very very VERY sneaky about it. When I tell her to get down she just rolls over playfully and expects me to rub her belly :no: I laugh at her so that probably doesn't help. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I need advice about how to keep my 3 year old bully girl off the couch. She is very very VERY sneaky about it. When I tell her to get down she just rolls over playfully and expects me to rub her belly :no: I laugh at her so that probably doesn't help. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Ugh… I'm dealing w/that at my house, it's VERY hard to unlearn. I just make sure they have nice beds in the LR to lay on, but consistency is key… Lol

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I hear space blankets help deter dogs and that they don't like the noise. Right now I let him on the furniture with me though so I don't know if it works. Someone I know has used it to deter their dog (non bulldog).

OP
B

Bullymom112013

May 31, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sabrina Rose
She's never had a bed or couch to lay on before we adopted her. She got smart and I kid you not dragged her bed from her crate to the living room and drug it up on the couch. She looked at me like "what? I'm on my bed not the couch!" I was just in shock! We are staying consistent though and telling her no and down.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
She's never had a bed or couch to lay on before we adopted her. She got smart and I kid you not dragged her bed from her crate to the living room and drug it up on the couch. She looked at me like "what? I'm on my bed not the couch!" I was just in shock! We are staying consistent though and telling her no and down.

Sounds like a bulldog. Mine gives me the biggest stink eye when I tell him to get down or out of anything. Stares at me for a second testing my resolve...

OP
B

Bullymom112013

May 31, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sabrina Rose
She's pretty good about sitting and stay but she still stubborn when it comes to being told no. Were are definitely being patient though.

Whitney Chiang

May 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
We tried to keep Oliver off the couch for the first few months, then eventually caved. He was pretty good during the day when we were there, but he'd jump on the couch any time we left the room. We got him a bed and keep it near the couch. Every night we'd tell him "go to bed" when we would go to bed, he would lay down in his bed, then as soon as we were in the bedroom we'd hear him get up and jump on the couch. It was just too funny and we eventually just let him sleep on the couch. He now keeps all his toys in his bed and sleeps on the couch.

For other training, we've found reinforcing positive behavior with treats and staying consistent have been helpful. Also, simple things like not allowing your dog through the door first can reinforce that you are alpha and that helps with obedience.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Mouse traps and it works! I did it with my dobermans

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online