New bully owner

Newowner

May 11, 2016
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau beau
Hello there from sunny Bournemouth .

I have just adopted a 4/5 year old bully from a dog sanctuary. The poor little mite being through some rough patches in her young life but she a great big softie.

I need help to teach her to do her toileting when I take her out instead of the minute we walk in the door !!🙈🙈

Beau beau mummy

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! We would love to see pics of your baby...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN! Thank you for giving her a new loving home!

Potty training will come in time, she will need time to adjust to her new home and life..... take her outside every two hours when you are home and gives lots of praise/treats when she does her business. Where ever you are keeping her when you are not at home (room or crate) do not leave any bedding or towels till she is house trained. this will help as many tend to pee on linens just because they are there.

Good luck and we would love to see pictures

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
hello, and I wish you luck. Praise and treats as others have said. We have also hung a bell on our door that Frith rings when she wants to go out. Well that is the theory. And, she does touch the thing with her nose, but still not hard enough to make noise. If she has had a hard life, you might want to have the vet check fot UTI if she doesn't seem to control very well. Good luck, and post pictures!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Welcome to EBN:)

It can be a little tricky to potty train an adult dog who's been used to do its business inside, but they learn fast:yes: I usually treat an adult dog just like a puppy, take them out often, wait till they do one of the two:blush2: and praise them A LOT when they potty outside. Bulldogs are usually very food motivated so a treat can't go wrong:tongue:

Dogs usually have "spots" where they like to either pee or poop... when a new dog enters our house I try to wait them out outside before taking them inside. Next time we go out I take them there, and they almost always commit to that spot. It's great for when you have a garden and you don't want your dog to poop right outside the door, lol. If you have a garden you can leave a small piece of poop where you prefer her to go and see if she'll continue to go there. It has worked fairly well for me in the past.

Bulldogs, or any dog I think... do best with positive reinforcement, a firm "no" is enough if you see her potty inside and immediately take her outside to finish.

Also if she does go inside it's important to clean the smell out completely or she'll probably go there again... I use vinegar and it seems to be enough to "kill" the smell.

Thank you so much for adopting<3 can't wait to see pictures:w00t:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Welcome to EBN! The others have given good advice, I might add, if she is not pottying while outside, put her on a leash and try using a consistent command. Ours was always "hurry, hurry". That way she knows for now, when she is outside she has to do her business. When she goes give lots of praise and treats. If when you return inside she pottys in the house, immediately bring her back outside and give her command. Thank you for rescueing your baby, she will give you lots of love and happiness.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome4:Hi, thank you for rescuing your new baby. You have already been given great advice and suggestions. I'm sure she'll catch on as soon as she settles in and adjusts to her new surroundings. Love and consistency will help her through this. I just wanted to Welcome you and Beau Beau to EBN, and I hope to see more of you guys on here.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Welcome to EBN, and bless you for taking her in, and giving her a loving home!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
sign0016.gif
to EBN. Please post pics.

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Welcome! We're from Poole so very near you! We got Betty, our bulldog, about 3 months ago, she's almost 4 and had some toilet training issues. We just made sure to take her out every 2-3 hours, we tell her to "go pee pees", "hurry" might be a but more dignified, haha! And then lots of treats when she does her business outside. Would love to see some pics of Beau Beau!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Welcome, can't wait to see her!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online