New puppy owner seeking advice!

DEJESUS92

Feb 23, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Hello everyone,

My name is Hector and my wife and I will be picking up our english bulldog puppy next weekend! My mother has had a few, but this will be my wife and I's first "child". If any of you have any specific advice for being first time bully owners please let us know! Anything from diet, to toys, cleaning techniques, stuff to have on hand, anything, please let us know!

Thanks in advance,

Hector

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
get ready for lots of wet kisses and stubborness.. lol.. welcome and congrads on your first baby...
we do like lots of pictures.. well, i do..
anywho...
you came to right place for advice.. there is much to learn with owning a bulldog although i have owned them for quit sometime i find that I am still learning things.. everyone has their own opinions on food, toys and things.. i prefer grain free food but you may go thru different foods before you find the one that works for you.. cleaning wrinkles and tails are a must.. its routine in my house on face and tail pockets.. but you will learn and read almost everything you need to know here is a great place to be when owning a bulldog.. and do watch the heat please... bulldogs overheat very easy.. i own 4 and each one seems to be different in their own way but all bulldogs can't tolerate heat so do be careful..
i could go on and on but again this is great place to start.. welcome

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN !! Congrats on your new baby.... please post pictures when you get him home!

You want a good high quality grain free food.... the better the food works for them the less likely you will be at the vet on a weekly basis.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hi, Welcome to EBN! You didn't say where you live but be careful of the heat as bulldogs are very heat sensitive. I can't wait to see pics of the baby!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You've landed on a great site here. Informative bully owners for sure in here. Most questions ive notice is "what's the best kibble" great site that also guides you on the right track for feeding your dog is:

Best Grain Free Dog Foods

And let's you know updated recalls.

OP
D

DEJESUS92

Feb 23, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Thanks for all the help so far! My mom had a few english bulldogs growing up so I have some background on the breed. Definitely the weather. We live in Alabama and though it's not as bad as when we lived in FL, it can still get pretty hot. With summer coming up, we will definitely be careful! Does anyone have a preference between Blue Buffalo & Taste of the Wild. And if so, which recipe did you prefer?

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i have never tried blue buffalo i feed earthborn holistic.. i have one with allergies and its working for her and thankfully they all can tolerate it.. sorry not much help.. good luck.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Welcome to EBN hope to see lots of pics of your new baby
I always start My guys on a puppy food not a all stages , I use Go products , check out the food guide here it is awesome in that field to help you make a choice , I also find your dog will decide the food , they can have food allergies. Have fun hope to see you around EBN

OP
D

DEJESUS92

Feb 23, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
IMG_1816.JPGIMG_1826.JPGIMG_1829.JPG

As promised, meet our baby boy Mack!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
He is so lovely!!!

I think there are a couple of people on here that feed TOTW and their dogs do well on it but I can't remember who! Sorry! Hopefully they will see this thread and comment.

OP
D

DEJESUS92

Feb 23, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
He is so lovely!!!

I think there are a couple of people on here that feed TOTW and their dogs do well on it but I can't remember who! Sorry! Hopefully they will see this thread and comment.

Thanks! We got him yesterday and he has been awesome so far. Great temperament. And we actually decided to go with Fromm puppy in the pink bag. His breeder had him on Royal Canin. Apparently I gave too much of the Fromm in his bowl this morning because it didn't sit well. How much of the new food/old food should I put in his bowl?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would start out very slowly by taking out just a little bit of his old food and adding the same amount of the new, a tablespoonful maybe to start as he is so young. Gradually increase those amounts over about 10 days or so. Don't rush it! If you do it too quickly, you will probably get an upset tummy which sounds like he already did! Don't worry though, we have all been there!! I still take it very slow with my boys if I have to change, which I hope I never have to again.:pray2:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.