Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
I am new to this site, and have joined because I recently brought an English Bully into my home. She is a wonderful dog and I would take in a hundred more if I could.

Things were going well until she got aspiration pneumonia cause by Megaesophagus. After extensive tests, there are no underlying causes. There are no hereditary problems known. I know that some dogs just have MegaE, but most develop it as older dogs. Frith turns 6 months on the 24th.

What confused me was that the x-rays showed MegaE clearly, and then two weeks later it was gone. Clean x-rays, no sign of MegaE. We still fed and treated her as if she had MegaE to be safe. The morning of her last vet visit--one month of meds and Mega E feeding requirements--she woke up with pneumonia again, and the x-rays showed MegaE again. She was very healthy and playful the night before. Both of these bouts of MegaE have happened within days of giving her Nexguard (she has had two doses).

Has anyone else had or heard of issues with Nexguard? My vet says "these are not the side effects," but something tells me there is a connection.

Anything would be helpful.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
First welcome to this wonderful site..I have no experience with this but with any flea/tick medication there could be a link.We have never tried New guard but we had horrible results with Trifexis.You should get plenty of advice here

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
welcome to EBN ..... I have no experience with MegaE or Nexguard, but if your instincts are saying there is a connection, then I would switch to a different treatment.... we use Sentinal, have for about 10 years, never any issues on four dogs.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
:welcome4:

Welcome to EBN Frith. Jewel and Bentley say hello.

Please peruse the sight as there are many articles that may help with your questions and give you answers. Or you can post your question and I am sure one of us will chime in and provide advice, suggestions, moral support, etc. You are never alone here at the forum.

Again, welcome to the site. --rj

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I would say change to another treatment, we use Sentinel for our dogs w/no issues. We would love to see some pics of your baby...

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
welcome to EBN ..... I have no experience with MegaE or Nexguard, but if your instincts are saying there is a connection, then I would switch to a different treatment.... we use Sentinal, have for about 10 years, never any issues on four dogs.

:welcome2: to EBN!!! I would say change to another treatment, we use Sentinel for our dogs w/no issues. We would love to see some pics of your baby...

Is sentinel just heartworm or is it flea and tick combined?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is sentinel just heartworm or is it flea and tick combined?

Heartworm and flea.... I use Vectra 3D for ticks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and so happy you found us. I would stop the Nexguard immediately. I don't know what you use for heartworms, but we use Sentinel, and it works for fleas as well, and we have never had any problem with it on any of our bullies or pups. I hope you pup gets better soon.

OP
Frith

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Thank you all--great info and I will look into sentinel. Nexguard is for fleas and ticks. If sentinel does fleas, then I just need to find something for ticks.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.